The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Dealing with the streets... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5412 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
kasper, Pete just told told you the most important thing that can be said here! Just do your show. Don't think about money until you are home counting it! Then see what you have and ask your self is it enough? Then re-evaulate what you are doing and work on it the next time out! Try new things, don't be afraid of failing with those new things. There is an art to the hat line, the money pitch. If you focus on your show and being magical, it will improve and you will too. You will make more money. That's the secret. Don't worry about who gives or who doesn't.

koz
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Eugene Burger once said the key to getting bigger tips (or hats) is to act as if you don't need them.

Hmmm.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5412 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Well, Eugene would starve on the streets bud!

The street is a different place! PERIOD!You'd better talk about money during your show, and you'd better explain to your audience how it works, because many people don't know - they don't! Eugene would starve on the streets and looking at him he might want to consider the streets He could use a little starvation! Eugene is terrific but the streets? Only a few can make it there ...only a few.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Koz,

I agree with you completely, but. . .I wouldn't spend the majority of my time asking for money either. All I was saying to Kasper was do your show. . . worry about the money later. If your dedicated you'll make it.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5412 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Talk about how much money is appropriate. Make suggestions and educate your audience, but don't beg and don't get upset. People walk away from Gazzo and they walk away from Cellini and they are going to walk away from you!...it happens. Nothing you are going to do about it!

koz
Ojasa
View Profile
New user
U.S.
77 Posts

Profile of Ojasa
I agree the streets are totally different...

Having worked as a tour guide... That is the closest thing I have found. We both do a closing pitch for entertaining someone, and live off of what someone gives us as a thankyou for making them laugh.

I totally agree with Eugene at a more formal setting... The difference is clientel.. A magician in a rolex and a Vercaci (sp?) suit is going to get more for a fee, and therefore a tip from the business world than the one who wears a suit from the Men's Wearhouse.

In the business world Image is everything...

That is where Eugene makes his hat.

Ojasa
that magic is an art, and an art worth your learning. The question is rather, whether you be capable of learning it? Magic is somewhat like poetry, men are to be born so: I mean, with inclinations to it, though both may be heightened by discourse and prac
Jesse Dains
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Jesse Dains
I agree with tedb, you have to educate the audience, one line I like is to tell them, anything you put in the hat is welcome. Oh and don’t worry If you put in to much I will tell you.(if delivered right always gets a laugh)
……….Jesse
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5412 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Jessie, that's a really good line, I just stole it. Naw...kidding.

koz
Jesse Dains
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Jesse Dains
Tedb
If you really like it please use it, have fun with it.
Jesse
markkwan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of markkwan
I guess don't let it get to you. If you're interested in magic just for the money, I think it's time to look elsewhere. I personally do magic for the memories and the smiles. good luck to you.
What good is a night, when you can't break it.
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Palm Bay, FL
382 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Wow the material here in this post is valuable stuff for the street performer.

I am willing to throw one of my ideas into the discussion.

First, let me say that street performing is one of the best places to learn our craft.
So count everyday as school. Learn, experiment, and be self-aware of how and why you do what you do. Once you learn how to work the streets, you can work anywhere.

I know when you are working for the hat; it is all about the money. Applause is nice, compliments are better, but the money at the end of the day is what makes it worth it.

Finding the right place to work is very important when you are working the streets.

Yes you may have to educate your audience when you are busking. You do have to sell the pitch. How? That is the secret. Find what works for you. This is so important.
It took me years to figure what worked for me.

Now in closing, I offer my idea. I would close the show with a little girl as my assistant. I would make my closing comments, and then I would say, "Watch this amazing trick, as my assistant 'Jennifer' holds my hat and people will throw money into it!"

I would then instruct her to pick my hat and hold it, as everyone would joyfully put the money in and smile for little 'Jennifer' telling her what a great job she did in the show.

This may not work for you, for me it did.
Naturally there were times when I would take a dollar out of the hat and give one for her to keep.

Steve Hart
Cape Canaveral, FL USA
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5412 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
You do magic for memories and smiles. Smile

I do magic for a living. I better make money. When I started doing magic it was about the magic, but when I left my real work job to do what I loved for a living, I knew it was now about money! Money, money, money! PERIOD. I love to go to work, but at the end of the day if I don't make money, I'm gonna be unhappy.
JesseMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Oxnard, CA
124 Posts

Profile of JesseMagic
If your in it for the money that maybe your approaching it the wrong way...Lance Burton-a stage magician...he's making money because of advertisment...maybe you should invest in a agent or something, someone to set you up with gigs and promotions.
Ojasa
View Profile
New user
U.S.
77 Posts

Profile of Ojasa
People who perform on the streets are doing it as a labor of love. Working the streets is not the best way to earn money, but it is a way to earn a living bringing joy to other peoples lives.

That doesn't mean That at the end of the day they don't want to go home to a nice place and afford more than tuna helper with spam for dinner.

At the end of the month they must pay their bills and put away for retirement the same as everyone else, so they must worry about the money.

I would dare say no street performers (at least none I know) are "in it for the money"
As ted said above He loves the work, but if at the end of the day he can't pay his bills or get a meal he is gonna be unhappy. Who here would not be?

And it is always nice to be able to afford steak instead of ramen...

Ojasa Smile
that magic is an art, and an art worth your learning. The question is rather, whether you be capable of learning it? Magic is somewhat like poetry, men are to be born so: I mean, with inclinations to it, though both may be heightened by discourse and prac
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5412 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I love working the streets...but there is no art wthout money!!! FACT!

If you are working a real job you are not putting all you effort into your art...understood...so money matters...FACT!

koz
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I agree money is the key. Use some cold reading and see who's going to tip. Why perform for those who are cheap?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5412 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
You cant tell by any reading who's gonna tip.

Those who give, give.

koz
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
I've never really "asked for money". I have a little tip box taped to the side of my stand. When I first set up I put two one dollar bills of my own money in my box folded over the edge, that way people will see it and know what to do or what its there for.

I do wear a top hat but maybe because of my own ego (I don't want to appear as begging), or fear of rejection I've just never passed the hat. Very rarely after doing a set I may say your tips are greatly appreciated, but even with that I may have only said that maybe a dozen times in 6 years. People just see my box, and they normally just tip me.

Not to brag but I've gotten a couple of 20 dollar bills in the past but I usually get a lot of ones, a few fives, and a ten here and there. The money part doesn't bother me as much as the smart *** comments do. I've always been very sensitive and thinned-skinned by nature and there have been a couple of times where at the end of the night I've sworn off street performing, BUT I've always went back to it, because I do TRULY enjoy it, and meeting new people.

I've made wonderful friends through it too I must say, and there are people expecting me there every weekend (as long as the weather is good). But I know what your saying as far as people making fun of you. Myself, I just try to smile and hold my tongue.

Ocassionally I'll give it right back to them. What's better is if you're in the middle of doing a set, and people walking by make bad jokes to you, is when your audience jumps up in your defense. I love my audience and they love me I find, because after six years in the same exact place you get sort of a bond with people. To make a long story short, really enjoy what you're doing (yes you will have bad days but don't we all), and let the smart mouth comments go in one ear and out the other (I still need to work onthat one myself still).

As far as money, when doing a set, get as many people to help you with tricks as you can, and as people are coming up, get them as close to you as you can, because I find that when someone helps out in a trick and the closer to you they are, that they feel more obligated to you to tip. When they do tip, smile and say thank you I really appreciate that.

Another joke you might want to use in a funny light-hearted manner, is this, when someone tips you, you can say wow or cool it looks like I can pay my rent this month. This way you are acknowledging them tipping you while subtly making it known that tipping is a GOOD thing. I also have a sticker on my tip box that someone gave me that reads "There's No Nation Like Donation".

I'm not assuming you don't do that stuff already, all I'm doing is giving you some tips you may not have heard before. Good Luck, Ed, (Eddini). Smile Smile Smile
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5412 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Eddini, I don't know if you are addressing this to me, but I do all the lines and I make great money. And do this for a living. God has blessed me and i'm grateful. The intention of this post was to help new guys with dealing with walk-aways. So many with so much potential have stopped because of this issue. You need thick skin to deal with the rejection.

koz
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
That's cool. I'm glad you do very well for yourself. I guess this was directed to new people or whoever needed it. Thanks, Ed, (Eddini). Smile Smile
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Dealing with the streets... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL