The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How many acts do you have? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Quote:
On 2009-09-04 14:25, Jonathan wrote:
I think there is a difference in interpretation of what "A level" material is. I'm not using "A level" as being a set standard, but as something that's relative.

For example, you may be able to create a very good show in a couple of months, but do you agree that if you worked on perfecting that show for a number of years it would get better? If so, then that level would become your "A level" and although you may be able to come up with another very good show in a couple of months, it would not be up to the level of the other.

Thus, if you perfect a show to be so good that the audience expects a level of quality, it may not go over as well if you perform below that expectation.

You can come up with a bunch of different acts, but say you took the 6 most audience loved routines from all those acts and created a knock-out show and perfected it through a few years of work and performance...that show will dwarf your other acts, would it not?

That said, there is certainly logic behind the strategy of never exceeding a certain level of quality so that you can satisfy the same audience over and over (if repeat business is the main key to your success) with very good shows. I hope that all makes sense.

I respectfully disagree.

For those performers that are constantly rebooked by some of the best agents and at some of the best venues around, they are not just presenting "pretty good shows" because they are more concerned with repeat bookings. They are offering some of the best shows in their categories. That is why they get the work.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I didn't say "pretty good shows" I said "very good shows". And if all of your shows are at the same level that's great. But, if you took the best stuff and put it all in one show and perfected it over a few years it would be even better, right? Then the other shows, regardless of how good they are, won't be as good as your "A show" and might not live up to the expectations of the audience.

Kind of like when a writer/director works on a film for 10 years and puts out a masterpiece, then the studio wants a sequel. He can make a very good film, but it won't be as good as the masterpiece that was 10 years in the making and audiences are disappointed.

Of course with Indiana Jones, the opposite was true. lol! Took 20 years to make a 4th one and it stunk! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How many acts do you have? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL