The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Quarter Or Half Dollar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
308 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Yaknow, I was thinking (and just that alone may be a problem)sure,using quarters may eliminate some of the thoughts about "special" coins, but the bottom line, is most locking sets CAN be handed out, of course effects without any gaffs can be handed out, but most, (if not all) laymen never heard or even can imagine something like a shell, or a copper/silver coin or if I may jump forums for a sec, a double facer or backer, a 3 1/2 of clubs, cards with different indexes or any of that.
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
I think its a great idea to have a few effects using quarters or other commonly circulating coins in your repertoire, especially for more informal performances. OTOH when performing for a "larger" group the quarters may be too small, and larger visible coins may be appropriate. If I was just going to do a quick trick I'd use quarters, If I was going to do a longer routine at a party I'd use halves. YMMV.

When I use Silver coins, people seem more curious than suspicious, most people have heard about silver dollars, but many have never seen one.

Many effects are more powerful when done with a borrowed object - people "know" magicians can trick out things even if they have no idea how.
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
192 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
I've never found specs to be suspicious of half dollars, but they do want to look at them just out of curiosity.

My feeling is you get a very different effect using half dollars (particularly older silver ones) than you do with quarters.

One is perceived as interesting,both for their rareness and their intrinsic value, the other as common, everyday objects that are essentially worthless.

Depending on the effect you're going for, both have their advantages.

-Rob
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
My answer here is that if you're doing a show then use larger coins.
If in and impromptu situation then commonly circulated coinage plays very strong.
SilvaAce
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
156 Posts

Profile of SilvaAce
I've never had a problem with people asking me if they are trick coins.
Really, who (laypeople) uses half dollars, silver dollars,mexican centavos,
or english pennies today. I do most of my coin work with 1941 Walking Liberties and people are just amazed at thier beauty. Then I bring out my Scotch and Soda or Copper/Copper Silver coins and people just sit back and enjoy the show. Of course the handling plays a big part.
So I agree with Christopher Rinaldi about magicians just over thinking again.
I believe people just want to see something amazing when they come to see magic, regardless of what you use.
All you have to do to change your life, is to change your daily habits!

Carlos Silva
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
308 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
As the original poster I agree with SilvaAce 100%. No one has ever questioned me on a coin being unusual or gaffed (like they have a clue about a gaffed coin or card for that matter) It's all about being entertaining and amazing, I have used some of the oldest self working tricks, 3 1/2 of clubs, and have absolutely blown people away, so yes, it definitely is about magicians overthinking......
dabah2014
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
157 Posts

Profile of dabah2014
I prefer half dollars since they are larger and easier to handle. If you use half dollars though, people may be inclined to ask to examine it since half dollars are not that common.
Matthew
tommeepickles
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
158 Posts

Profile of tommeepickles
I perform a coins across with quarters. If I perform close-up, I do this because you can borrow quarters holding out the shell. I also feel that there is a reason for using four quarters because I can always say I got change for a dollar. The last reason is I can have the spectator handle the shell by the edges and it is 95% undetectable but if you used a half dollar it might be more detectable.
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2009-11-05 19:23, dabah2014 wrote:
I prefer half dollars since they are larger and easier to handle. If you use half dollars though, people may be inclined to ask to examine it since half dollars are not that common.
Matthew

I, as well as many others here, use Morgans and dollar sized coins. I've never been asked the legitimacy of my coins. I used to think this as well, but after performing for people it rarely if ever happens. Just my 2 cents.
Looking for a coin?
A coin holder or accessory?
THE COIN MAGICIAN'S RESOURCE:
The Magician's Coin
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26994 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Kinda depends on whether you want to amaze the audience or just feel good about the moves and tricks. If your audience says they are more impressed when you use quarters - listen to them - if you care about that stuff.

BTW, most people can't tell you the "why" of their opinion but they can tell you what the "like more" or find more impressive - (but not how or why) - so ease up on expecting folks to have both the gift of insight and the gift of language ready to go when you get them talking.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Quarter Or Half Dollar (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL