The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing Cane, where to find a good one (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
randallmagic
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of randallmagic
Hi all,
I have been looking extensively through the Café' and have read about some good canes, but when I check to find them, nada. All that seems out there is the Tango Dancing Cane. Is that one any good. The vortex is gone as well as the precision magic one.

So what is a magician to do? I am also looking for a red and a white LED battery operated cane that can dance too. But would settle for just a good one at this point. I don't really want to make my own (who has the time) but am looking for a quality one to buy.

Any help?
thanks all in advance
Randall
Randall Magic
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Denny Haney carries some of the best out there. Contact him and he will steer you in the right direction.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Jeff doesn't sell the Vortex anymore?

Last time I saw him, he still had a few.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
randallmagic
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of randallmagic
So how do you get a hold of Denny Haney?
randallmagic
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of randallmagic
Never mind, I found him. Thanks. Didn't know his last name.
Randall
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
No problem. You can always find him through his magic shop.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Re: Dancing Canes

Way back in the 60's, there was a Bat Masterson cane sold as a premium for the advertiser--Sealtest Ice Cream. It was a nice looking black wooden cane with a plastic knob and ferrule which were painted silver. Since they were meant for children, they were only about 30 inches from end to end. I bought two of them on eBay with the intent of combining them to make a standard length adult cane, using my Creekmore classic cane as a guide for the length. Never got around to actually making one, but I think it's worth investigating. It would certainly make for a unique and classy dancing cane.

Years ago I had an idea for a magic act based on the Bat Masterson image of a magician attired in cane and derby hat--or even the Bret Maverick image. Never quite got beyond the pipe dream stage, but I envisioned doing card manipulations (appropriate since Maverick was a gamblet). As I recall there was even a Bat Masterson episode when Bat was held captive and was doing color changes and card flourishes for his captor and ended up springing the cards into the villain's face to get him off guard and take the gun away from him. (The flourishes were close-ups of the hand, so that part might have been someone like Jay Ose doing the magic.)

My Mississippi gambler idea (which I came up with back in the 60's) would have included a sequence of rope-twirling and flourishes with a six-shooter. Although professional lariats are available from Western supplies stores, I was able to do the basic effect using magician's soft-rope with the end made into a hondo. Dube Juggling sells the book _Will Rogers Rope Tricks" at http://www.dube.com/book/WillRogersBook.php
and professional rope manufactured specifically for rope spinning and favored by professional ropers as well.

In my standard manipulation act, I would sometimes open with the dancing cane (with the changing to a silk streamer at the routine's end) followed by serpent silk a la Anverdi, card productions, billiard balls, linking rings--and ended with a return to the dancing cane based on a Marconick idea of a dancing cane attached to a hat. That way the cane effect bookended the entire act. If you're unfamiliar with the Marconick dancing cane and hat effect, it was included in his hardback book _Marconick's Original Magic_, which I've mentioned a couple of times in this forum.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
Fukai from Japan has a wonderful cane and routine.
randallmagic
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of randallmagic
So what about the Tango dancing cane? Anyone own one?
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
I've had a couple of Tago canes, they are pretty decent. Juan Mayoral manufactures an excellent LED cane aswell.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
George Alexander
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong / UK
71 Posts

Profile of George Alexander
The vortex is very good - you could e-mail Jeff and see if he has any left.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Many years ago, I bought a hollow balsa wood cane made in England. ($150 wholesale)
I smashed it in a car door one night.
It weighed ony 1.5 oz, and floated like a ghost.
-------
I performed a 3 minute dance at a convention in front of Peter Pitt and even he liked the cane.
I would love to find another.
----------
I now make my own out of plastic shower rod covers, cost $2. Floats great and well balanced due to a paper clip at the tip.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you don't mind paying higher postage and possible custom chargers, http://www.52magic.net has all kinds of Dancing canes on their site, they have metal, plastic, folding, different colors, etc.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
I'm looking to buy a Precision Magic cane, heard they are very nie. I want a new 'classic' cane to have as a backup and I heard that PMs canes are some ofthe best you can find.

During the last year I've been using light-up canes that I manufacture myself. Light weight and really atttention grabbing.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-12-25 10:44, Fábio DeRose wrote:
I'm looking to buy a Precision Magic cane, heard they are very nie. I want a new 'classic' cane to have as a backup and I heard that PMs canes are some ofthe best you can find.

During the last year I've been using light-up canes that I manufacture myself. Light weight and really atttention grabbing.

I feel the light up canes have an advantage of creating a black art effect which helps with the illusion. The pupils dialate and make the gimmickry invisible.
I used to do a strobe light effect with mine, that too makes the gimmick disappear.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I agree with Magic Ian. Those strobe lights does wonders and really work in our favor.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Exactly, that is what I LOVE about light-up canes. I did perform them on the wild (aka street) a few times, with specs less than 3m away from me, and still the illusion was perfect.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I think my main problem with light-up canes is they aren't analogous to anything in the real world. The Creekmore canes all look like something you would see in the real world. People have seen them in movies and TV shows. I can't think of any movies where a "normal" character (or even an abnormal character) walks around with a cane with lights up and down its entire length. There's something to be said for the classic black and white cane. I can accept a cane or staff with something special like a light on the _top_, because that would be similar to a cane with gems ornamenting the top. But lights along the entire length is a little bizarre and unnatural.

More believable/acceptable than the light-up canes would be a dancing lightsaber, which I think did appear on the market for a while a few years ago. The Lucas movies have at least made lightsabers a device relatively familiar to the general populace (there is even a lightsaber Wikipedia entry), although I would still question why a magician would have one in his possession--unless he's also a retired Jedi knight. I can imagine that Ben Kenobi was a member of the IBM--Interplanetary Brotherhood of Magicians.

Even a dancing fluorescent light would be a little more natural. Check the videos at these links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQAccEq9za0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx2KiAAIN70

These routines use something from the real world. They have even been used in magic before, going all the way back to the 60's when I saw Joe and Georgi Smiley do their Neon Rod Through Lady illusion. Everyone knows what a fluorescent light is, and a floating fluorescent light is not that much more unnatural than the classic Blackstone floating light bulb would be.

Just my two-pennies.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Where is the Dancing Cane made by Precision Magic available ?

Do they have their own on line shop or is any other contact to them available?

Thanks.

Oliver.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Precision Magic is closed for good. I'm looking to find their canes too.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing Cane, where to find a good one (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL