We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stepford mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
There's some popular folk out there in mentalism these days...

there's some popular brands too...

do you follow the herd mindlessly, too scared to gamble along your own path?

is there safety in numbers? or lead like lambs to the slaughter?

where and how do you express yourself properly, feeling liberated and free of other peoples mindsets and missions?

why do you think people leave here? do you find yourself returning here because you feel safe?

does having a name to hide behind enable you to say what you feel - or does it just let you say what you want without fear of reprimand?

what do you get out of mentalism? and what do you try and put in?

all these questions and more...stepford mentalism - do you feel like you are ever being sold an ideal, which is really a mirage...an oasis in the desert of your mind...

or maybe I've had too much medicine today for my cold...who know?!

forums have their uses, and their dangers...step out into the light once in a while..
I've asked to be banned
aukt
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of aukt
Be interesting to see you answer a few of your own questions, to get things started perhaps.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Indeed it would!

I'm blaming it on the medicine personally...

I can answer some of them in one response - I only perform and use my own presentations, with the exception of OOTW...but even that's done with a couple...

I get an interesting mixture of things out of mentalism, I get to meet and share a few things with strangers - and I get to learn about other viewpoints too...i try to put "back" into mentalism by treating it with the respect it deserves, by diligent practice, care and attention...

I do think forums (any forum) can be too all consuming...sometimes it can become too much listening to so many different opinions...find the few that you genuinely trust, and let that be that...

and you?
I've asked to be banned
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Lot's of questions, a detailed response would take days for me!

Quick response -- no, no, yes, sometimes....

Seriously, I use the forums for information and ideas, education and entertainment. Sure, some sell, some is good, some bad -- I make my own decisions, evaluate what I get, learn from successes and mistakes in regard to product. Some ideas and discussions on this forum are interesting and thought provoking, some banal, some ridiculous -- just like most things in life. I guess the old 80/20 rules applies for me here as with most things -- 80% questionable, 20% useful -- and that 20% makes wading through the 80% worth it.

I try not to hide behind a name (mine is Bill Fritz btw), and I treat forums like face-to-face communication -- if I say it here, I would just as easily say it directly to you.

Bottom line -- I try to give/offer/share as much as I get/ask for/take from this forum.

All of these comments are made free of cold medicines.

Bill
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2196 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Hi Iain

Great questions and in my experience most of them are answered by performing more.
The more I perform, the less I buy, the less I obsess, and the more I innovate.

Let me first say I hold nothing against armchair mentalism. It's a great hobby. And like many of us I've been as guilty of spouting my opinions on any number of issues. But once one starts regularly performing for real live human beings all those things that used to be huge overwhelming issues simply cease to be a big deal.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to connect with so many people with similar interests... but this would be a much healthier and productive place if we all performed a little more and posted a little less.

2 cents.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Hi Iain,

I think your first question about following following the masses, as Alexander Chase said,"people like sheep tend to follow a leader, sometimes in the wrong direction." It is only when people feel secure enough in themselves do they venture off into the unknown. Unfortunately, to many people find the comfortable beaten path safe and are unwilling to take the road not taken.

Also, think of it like a cult mentallity perse, when someone joins a cult and then IF one day realizes that they are in a crazy group or mindset they will want to recruit as many people as they can to join into their group (Mindset)because if others do the same then it could be said that they are not as crazy as they thought.

My work industry is banking. and so many times I hear people say that Money is the root of all evil. I disagree I believe it is a tool like this forum. to explain myself I will use the analogy of a scapel. In the hands of a doctor the scapel can save a life, in the hands of a criminal it can hurt someone else, and in the hands of a buffoon...he will hurt himself. The forum itself is a tool that can inspire and create, it can also destroy that creativity.

This is just my thoughts, and I am not as experienced in the art as many on this forum, but experiences I have. I'll end my rambling with a quote from old Star Wars:

Obi Wan Kenobi: who is the more foolish? the fool...or the fool who follows him?
cc
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of cc
Iain, I think these are great questions. I'm not sure I can answer any of them but I think about them all the time. For the longest time, I simply read comments and didn't post. Recently I've started posting and I feel that I'm actually contributing something. I do take the art of Mentalism seriously and the one thing that frustrates me is I can't really make anyone I know (other than other performers) understand just HOW seriously that is.

I do think it's important to learn the basic techniques of Mentalism and then strike out on your own. Derren Brown is the best example of this. He impresses the audience with his wit, charm and skill. But he impresses us because his plots are so fresh and his ways of getting to the end are so darned clever! Great post Iain!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stepford mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.41 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL