The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to keep from being scary (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Derren said something in his latest interview that interested me. He said many times men find mentalism intimidating, or intrusive. I'm using different words, but I think the idea is the same. I believe there is a way to present mentalism in a way that inspires, rather than intimidates those people.

I need to think about this and see how that can be done. I'm sure you all have a lot of thoughts on this. I'd love to hear them!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18493 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Do you think that sometimes its good to be just a little scary?
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I like scary.
What would Wavy do?
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of WDavis
I think the gravity of the situation depends on the subject and the venue it is performed in. as a performer we need to be sensative to the recipient. and also, I don't think scary/dark would work in a church functionn while a humourous show will not work at a goth club.
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Do you think that sometimes its good to be just a little scary?

Hell yes....
E.O.I
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have always thought that trying to be "too scary" and taking themself too serious is one of the things mentalism suffers from the most.

I think it can actually come off better, or more mysterious if played down in that aspect of it. It can be very disarming when downplayed.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2141 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Quote:
On 2009-09-06 18:19, Dannydoyle wrote:
I have always thought that trying to be "too scary" and taking themself too serious is one of the things mentalism suffers from the most.

I think it can actually come off better, or more mysterious if played down in that aspect of it. It can be very disarming when downplayed.

the same is true for hypnosis: youre right. good idea here
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I was referring more to those who are intimidated or feel almost threatened by it. That's never a good response, in my opinion, as they don't enjoy it. When trying to entertain, I think we are paid to create something the audience will enjoy. A significant amount of people do not enjoy feeling threatened and will try to put the performer down. Whereas if it can be reframed in some way to be a positive thing for them they can enjoy the success of the performer, allow it to ignite their imagination, and they will try to make the performer look good whenever they get the chance.

How can you tie the success of the mentalist with a feeling of success in these audience members?
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
606 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Scary is fun Smile
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of WDavis
No one wants to answer jonathans post. scary is fun for who? the entertainer? its not fun when the client is feeling threatened. jonathan your best bet is engaging those clients and make it "appear" as if your success on the effect that involved the threatened client is because of the client. also if you are dealing with heavier themes and want them to use a memory make sure its a positive happy one. also trickle in a little comedy to lighten the mood. if you don't take urself too seriously then they wont feel so threatened. sorry for the typos using my phone to reply
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-09-06 19:03, PsiDroid wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-09-06 18:19, Dannydoyle wrote:

the same is true for hypnosis: youre right. good idea here

I would argue it is MORE true for hypnotists. The society at large has changed from what was "classic hypnosis" and moved I think forward. I believe the same is true of mentalism.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
I will answer, it is not too hard.

For those audience members that are intimidated or uncomfortable with the whole concept, you do a prediction effect, only instead of calling it a prediction, make it a reverse mindreading presentation. The prediction is what you as a performer are thinking of, and if they follow their instinct and don't try to mess it up THEY will get it right. You as a performer can not be wrong, it is on them. Tell them they will get it right, then do so. They will feel good about the experience almost all of the time.

And don't do anything that may make them think of a relative's death. That is just horrible.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
I certainly don't consider it my job to "inspire" anyone. Nor do I find it appropriate to "intimidate" my audience. After all, how many people do you know who want to be intimidated? My job is to ENTERTAIN them and when I am performing as a mentalist (as differentiated from my performances as a magician) I hope that they find my performance "intriguing" as well. I neither make claims, nor offer disclaimers. I simply do it and leave it to the observer to interpret what I do. My goal is to leave them wondering if -- or how much of -- what I do is "real."
Dick Christian
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Look, you market yourself to the people you want to perform for. The people I like to perform for like scary. If your audience doesn't then do something different. That being said, Danny is correct, trying to be too scary and taking it all so seriously often results in really bad comedy. I think the subtle is way more frightening.

Of course, I still haven't addressed the question. I really don't know what to say to it other than, if you don't want to be scary, don't be.
What would Wavy do?
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2620 Posts

I agree that in some contexts, specifically bizarre and/or seance, "scary" is not only appropriate, but often essential. And while those and some other genres such as cold reading, mediumship, etc., are all properly included in what many refer to as "psychic entertainment," I would place them outside the context of what I tend to think of as "mentalism" (i.e., mindreading and most other demonstrations of ESP).

Because "mentalism" is often used interchangeably with the broader term "psychic entertainment" and, like "magic," covers a lot of territory, unless the particular context someone posting to this and the "Inner Thoughts" forum is specified, it can be easily misconstrued and thus attract comments that may stray from the original topic of discussion with the result that just trying to understand what everyone is talking about can be confusing at times.

The comments in my previous post were intended to refer only to demonstrations of mindreading not other genres in which "scary" might indeed be called for.
Dick Christian
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Agreed!
What would Wavy do?
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Mentalism is the last media of “magic” were the audience has to question themselves as to whether or not what they just saw was real or not. I find that people want to believe in things like ESP and people who genuinely have the ability to read minds or predict future outcomes. How often have you heard someone say that someone in there family could predict future events via dreams? That being said, we have a responsibility to those people to not do anything that should break that suspension of disbelief/belief.

Good bad or indifferent, if what we do has the possibility of being real. Then being a little scary to some, is inherent.
...the magic that creates Memories!
praetoritevong
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
139 Posts

Profile of praetoritevong
Well, yeah, my good friend is a Bizarrist and needless to say does some rather scary things, especially come Halloween.

Anyway, given that I think the OP was talking about scary in the sense of intimidating, rather than freaky, I'd simply like to mention that, in agreement with ttorres, mentalism often contains an inherently scary aspect. Whether you choose to harness it or not is another thing; there is no doubt in my mind that channeling the feeling would be an interesting way to create atmosphere. Still, unless you specifically are aiming for this sort of atmosphere, I personally would choose to avoid it if possible - for example taking a plot along the lines of RGM and the like, I would tend to try and make it less intimidating.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Let me clarify that I'm not talking about one audience member. If I know a specific person is feeling that way, it's easy to reframe it for them. I'm talking about an entire audience where there are a significant number of people who might feel "threatened" by the ego or success of a performer.

For the type of mentalism that I do, you want to be seen as powerful and command respect from the audience, but at the same time not "threaten" any of them or make them feel challenged. They usually don't say anything to the performer and we're probably none the wiser. But, in cases where I've been on the other side (i.e. the audience) it's clear that it happens.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2620 Posts

IMO, if the audience feels "threatened" or "intimidated" by the performer when the performance is not INTENDED to be "scary," "threatening" or "intimidating," the performer is doing something wrong. You certainly want the audience to be entertained, hopefully mystified, even perhaps to some extent "in awe" of what you do, but in my experience audiences are most likely to be entertained when they LIKE the performer. It is hard to like someone who is perceived as being "threatening," "intimidating," or "scary." Surely one can be likeable and still be seen as "powerful" and in command of the situation. Entertainment may not be the most appropriate line of work for those who can't.
Dick Christian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to keep from being scary (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL