The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Skill or entertainment? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
While we often over emphasize practicing to be sleight of hand artists we should strive to be performers.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
If they like you..then they'll like your act.
Self concept is destiny..
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
Entertainment is so important. I've seen some great technicians who are as boring as ****! JP
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
Would entertainment be part of the equation when you do it to entertain yourself?
MagicRocks
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of MagicRocks
Entertain
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
No matter if you are a sever move monkey or use all self working effects it is most important to be entertaining. I think everyone here agrees on that. A good example of a performer who uses rather easy magic effects but gets the most entertainment value out of them in my opinion is Aldo Columbini. I for years wasn't very impressed by what I read of his and shame on me for that. I went to his lecture this past Saturday evening and was a convert. Aldo is very good. Prime example of it's not the methods you use but the way you perform the effects.
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Bad question. Both are important. Having chops brings an inner coinfidence that can help you entertain.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2009-11-16 11:26, lebowski wrote:
Bad question. Both are important. Having chops brings an inner coinfidence that can help you entertain.

How is that a bad question? I'm sorry but having chops has nothing to do with being entertaining. Nor does having chops give you the confidence either. What does give you confidence is going out and performing in front of people.

There are plenty of magicians with Chops that couldn't even entertain a group of blind monkeys let alone a group of humans.
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of cairo
And there are plently of magicians who think they are entertaining because they get a laugh or two but they can't fool an infant. If you are going to ask a question like this in the "All in the Cards" section it is assumed we are talking about card magic. How many great card entertainers can you name that have no sleight-of-hand skill?
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Maybe two or three. But nothing like the list of entertaining AND skillful peformers with cards. David Williamson, John Carney, Ricky Jay, Jon Armstrong, Aaron Fisher, Darwin Ortiz, Daryl, Michael Ammar, Paul Harris, Daniel Garcia, Bill Malone, Doc Eason, Bob Sheets, Jamy Ian Swiss, and on and on and on...
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Doing a lot of shows is the way to get good, but there are a few very entertaining card guys who are entertaining without doing that. Like Paul Harris. And there are also guys that perform mostly for magicians that are entertainig, like Daryl. To me the aforementioned Aaron Fisher and Jon Armstrong are two of the most entertaning with a deck o cards. Aside from engaging personalities, they all have something in common - a high degree of skill, that skill might be invisible to the layman but I think they perceive it.
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Being entertaining has nothing to do with secret methods, so asking if one should be skillful OR entertaining makes no sense. Yes, everyone wants to be entertaining whether they have skill or not. No one wants to bore their audience to death. It is not a question of skill OR entertainment. A seasoned professional is both.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Obviously entertainment is our goal as magicians, not even a question there. Skill is a method of creating entertainment with cards. I prefer skill to gaffs and gimmicks.
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of cairo
No magician on the face of the Earth would ever say DO NOT BE ENTERTAINING so I agree with everyone who says that's a given and not even a valid question. The method to get there can be anything that works.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Never trade entertainment value for the narcissistic needs to show skill. The skill should be a "given" but never be the main thing. Serve only one master at a time. The audience is the best choice. Nobody else pays you!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
I would say that it is crucial to be entertaining, that goes without saying. But if I am to understand your question correctly, are you asking do you have to be a technical wizard in order to be entertaining and good at the art of magic. If so, the answer is no (IMO) I would however say that you need some degree of skill and should definitely know the basics of card handling along with some fundamental sleights, this way you can even make self workers more powerful.

I would suggest that it in order to become entertaining you need to get real world experience be it for friends, family or when you are out in a social situation. (eventually moving up the ranks and getting your own gigs, perhaps charity events to start with before taking on paid jobs)

I would recommend finding six or so effect that you really like, learn the sleights required and build a good presentation around the effect as that is where the skill of being entertaining lies.

Hope This Helps.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1701 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
the crowd was amazed, held them literally in the palm of my hand.....

literally? That's a BIG hand (or a tiny crowd...!)
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Skill or entertainment? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL