The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Creeping technology (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bato William
View Profile
Regular user
All I've managed to write is
160 Posts

Profile of Bato William
As cell phones get smaller and technology gets more digital, are there areas of mental magic in danger of obsolescence?

Will all those tiny audio gadgets make everyday mentalism seem within everyone's grasp?

Bato William
You're nothing but a pack of cards! - Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17490 Posts

Profile of Slim King
There are two sides to every coin!!!! Smile

ROSHAMBO !!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Not as long as mentalists eschew the obvious use of "gadgets" (i.e., cell phones, computers, etc.) in their performances and use only those objects that are, or at least must be perceived by observers to be, devoid of technological gimmickry.

By carefully scripting what one says to avoid any implication of trickery (e.g., refraining from referring to objects as "ordinary" -- which, of course, causes the audience to infer that they are not) and using only common everyday items (e.g., paper, pens/pencils/markers, books, etc.) which will be perceived as free of guile, and as many of which as possible are handled by audience members during the course of the performance, thereby allowing audience members to conclude for themselves that they are ungimmicked, the performer is by his/her actions able to eliminate the most obvious explanations of trickery. Note that I said "handled" not "passed out for examination" -- there is a big difference, both practical and psychological, between something that is given to an audience member "for examination" (i.e., challenging him/her to find a "gimmick") and an object handed to an audience member for them to use normally in order to participate in a demonstration (e.g., a book for use in a book test, a pad and pen to record a piece of information, etc.).

As long as we structure our demonstrations in way that seems to preclude any way in which technology might be employed to accomplish our demonstrations, even the most astute observer is likely to eliminate it as a feasible explanation. I would go even further and ban the use of the word "technology" or anything suggestive thereof from my performing vocabulary to avoid planting the idea in anyone's head.
Dick Christian
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5728 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Some will run from technology, some will use it. The goal is to be an engaging performer who understands the upside and the downside of his or her performing choices.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Tom is right on the money.

Just so my meaning is clear, I am have no qualms about using technology when it suits my purposes to do so. I actually use technology in one (but only one) of the effects in my "ESPcapades" mindreading show -- and audiences consistently say it is one of the strongest things in the show. However, what it involves and the manner in which it is presented is such that unless it is assumed that the participating audience members are stooges/confederates, which they clearly are not, there is no logical explanation -- technological or otherwise. My personal philosophy is to use any means available to accomplish my objective so long as the method is sufficiently disquised so as to be virtually indetectable.
Dick Christian
Bato William
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Bato William
Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts.

I am in no way putting down the mentalist actually using technology as an aide; I was talking solely about the audience's perception of electronic devices being used to gain or transmit information.

Bato William
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1312 Posts

Profile of bond19
Slim,

If you get this I want to PM you but your message box is full

Chris Hurst
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3044 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Some people already assume that we're using technology/electronics. It's their way of explaining what they experience (as there are those who NEED an explanation). It's really up to us to cleverly close that door of possibility during the performance, whether or not we have a very small satellite dish tucked up our nose!

But while the mainstreaming of certain technological advancements can certainly curtail methods, or even send entire routines to the proverbial resting place; when one door closes, another often opens. Think about the telephone/cell phone, as an example. People suggested that the cell phone would kill certain routines, but look at all the new ideas it has generated.
Bato William
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Bato William
Thanks again.

Bato William
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Creeping technology (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL