We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Man [Paul Harris Presents...] » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..23~24~25 [Next]
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
The singing "frog" from the youtube Del Ray video Smile .
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hello Haven

Once you understand the workings, with a little work you could probably adapt this to another back. keep in mind that materials and surface texture a critical issues here. Which is also one of the reasons for the paper feet. A specific paper is used that has the correct texture for surface tension issues on the bag. We will be including a modified naked little man presentation that will give you the look I think you want. As far as size goes..He can be made maybe a third bigger,but then you have weight and traction issues. I don't know if that's big enough to work in your venue or not.

Truth Teller. Any way you could send us anymore info on Del Rey's effect? I mentioned it to Paul and its the first he's heard about it. Would like to give proper credit and share any details that are available and appropriate.

Janet Harris (AG)

Posted: Jan 4, 2010 8:24pm
Wow, lots of typos in my above post. I've got to get more sleep! Want to be clear that the third-size larger little man will be fine. Its when your start building him larger than that is when you might have issues.

J
FredNarlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Been waiting for John Dough for the last
319 Posts

Profile of FredNarlo
PHSIS...can you give us just one haiku?! The demo is a great thing, a haiku is such a small request. Or maybe a haiku from Paul himself?
Jv
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Jv
@David Leon Love the 'Frankenstein' presentation idea, but too bad that I can't affored 'Little Man', yet :'(

Jv
Guillotine+ASYLUM
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
For those who like things that go bump in the night, how about borrowing objects from several folks...with one person also donating a lock of hair, which is kneeded into the clay. Tell a story of the Golem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem)...and let the small figure walk past the objects, stopping and turning at the object of the person who was targeted by his maker...

waiting for reviews, but I'm thrilled with what Paul's released...
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2010-01-04 18:24, Al Straker wrote:
Congratulations to the PH team Little Man indeed has walked a fine walk.

I personally intend to spend some time developing Little Man into an emotionally charged highlight and really think this has wonderful symbolic magical overtones to explore. It has really got me thinking about the deeper context and symbolism of the magic at work here... creation of life theme - just doesn't get much better or more meaningful. If you can get people involved in creating Little Man and achieve a 'buy in' on the personal attachment to the little guy as well as embellish the atmosphere with music, a natural and meaningful story and what PH would probably call 'mental feelies' then the impact of Little Man's first few steps should potentially bring a tear to the eye of even the hardest heart.

Thanks again PH & team!

Al

Good post, Al!

Robert
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2010-01-04 00:28, Doug Lippert wrote:
Can you have multiple Little Man's walking at the same time?

A "little" army...in other words. Smile

Like bringing the Chinese Terracotta Wrriors to life. Nice thinking! Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
Building on Al's great ideas, some good concepts/philosophies can be applied from Jason's League of Invisible Friends in Method Impossible II...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=159&9
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Sorry...Im dissapointed!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Thetruthteller
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Thetruthteller
Since the other thread got locked I'd still like to know

Can it be done with just the bag sitting on the table or does the container of clay have to be on the table as well?

If so can he walk away from the container or only towards it?

Could the container be replaced with a real can of Play-doh or possibly something a little more thematic than a plastic tub?
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I have mixed feelings about this. I think that the animation looks good considering the price but don't like the cluttered feel of the box, the bag and so on. I'd also like to find out more about how much control/options you can have over where/how far the LM can go.

jeff
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3405 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I'd say he could travel the length of the bag!
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hello Truth Teller

As far as the basic performing conditions go..what you see on the demo is what you get. The clay container is actually a genuine off the shelf plastic container of kids clay..so this is a normal object in the world of kids clay. The size and shape of the container is important so the only change you could easily make to it would be to change the label. Although with work you could probably adapt it to another type of box.

There's also been a few questions about what happens if someone snatches little man in mid walk. This would be okay and not expose anything. Although its not recommended as you've lost control of the presentation and whatever the final payoff might be. So we'll include some presentation tips that will encourage them to let Little Man finish his job.

j

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 12:52am
Hello GreatSmartini

You can stop little man any time you want during his walk. You just won't be able to have him start walking a second time. Also..on the selecto-matic turn option, you can set it so Little Man turns, finds the object, then falls down.

j
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Jeff
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Being that I would of been performing this on stage where no one would be examining my props, I was expecting that Little Man would actually walk as in taking actual steps. Or, at least lifting one side and then the other. That was the part that had my original attention and enthusiasm. Capitalizing, "YES, HE ACTUALLY WALKS" is what convinced me that he would actually portray this. Otherwise, the effect can be accomplished with more simple methods to create the same effect of the gliding motion. Hense the reason for my personal disappointment after seeing the demo. (KISS)

I had a whole routine planned out about God creating man, man walking away from God, man falling, and God restoring man. Add background music, lighting effects, the whole works. I can still accomplish this but with another easier and less expensive method. Having Little Man actually lift his feet would of been the icing on the cake.

It would of been an added bonus if I could of had my clay guy actually lift his feet in walking movement, and truly an advancement in the art of magic. But I'll have to do with my original idea using my own method.

I also perform on the streets, but as I have read, that would not be workable due to needing the right type of surface for it to perform on.

I do hope this will work well for those who do close-up in restaurants and other similiar venues where examing the clay and props is essential to getting the strong reactions.

I look forward to one day reading the reviews. I always remain open minded.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hello Gospel Dan. Appreciate your open mind on this. Just a note, you could do this on the streets as long as you have a reasonably flat surface to place the bag onto.

J
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2010-01-05 02:24, Gospel Dan wrote:
I look forward to one day reading the reviews. I always remain open minded.

...or, some might say, single-minded! But DG, you have single-handedly caused this thread to be VERY long (and dull). No offense meant, but you might want to consider how many times folks are prepared to re-read the same opinion.
Little Man is everything I expected. It's pretty much exactly what I imagined when I read the ad.
He looks funny, the principle and logic of the presentation is fantastic, and this is guaranteed to play well for kids and family groups. Great, that's my principle audience....and I'll be using mine a LOT, no doubt.
Sure, the method isn't exactly original, but a variation of an already-established principle (see the football game). And there IS a way to have the little feet lifting up, you could even have Little Man do somersaults and everything. Almost exactly the same method, but much more sophisticated (clever construction of e*****o-m******c f****s) - in my wildest dreams I'd never expect to get something that complex for $300.
I'm delighted that this doesn't appeal to everyone - weekend warriors probably couldn't justify the cost - but to workers, this is likely to become a gem. Also, a lovely item to include in a promotional video. The one drawback is that kids will definitely remember Little Man - but will they remember who performed it?
The more I think about the possibilities with this, the more excited I am. What a fantastic way to start 2010!
Potty Smile
Spackle666
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Spackle666
Well, I like so many others am disappointed. Little man doesn't walk, he shuffles. Saddly, the over-statment of LM taking "actual steps" was sadly misleading and unneccessary. But the over hype hasn't spoiled it as much as the actual presentaional limitations do. Personally, I think the bag and box of clay set a cluttered and unnatural stage. I think the animation of LM should be the focus of the effect, but perhaps that is too much to ask.

Well, congratulations ro PH and crew. I am sure it will be some sort of success.
"it's bad luck to be superstitious."
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Thanks Janet for letting me know about the reasonable flat surfaces.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Janet, is it possible to get John Dough to turn as his first movement? I'm liking the idea that he would turn to face someone, and then walk towards him.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Man [Paul Harris Presents...] » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..23~24~25 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL