We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Man [Paul Harris Presents...] » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..23~24~25 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27087 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Magicians of cards
plan not to invoke products
having feet of clay
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
First of all, I'm guessing that this is out of Paul's control. Rodney Whitlock is involved, and Paul or Janet can't very well post that the hold up is due to Rodney.

Second, it's very unfair to criticize Janet. She's new to the game and is only helping out her brother.

Third, I believe that this is Paul's first solo business venture. He has always relied on others to handle the marketing and business side of things, so I think every one should cut him some slack.

I saw a recent interview with him, and he sounded a little disenchanted with the whole thing. In fact, he said he would never talk about any upcoming projects again because he doesn't want to have to answer the inevitable question, "When is it coming out?"

Granted, this was advertised way too early. But, why is everyone being so mean? I'm pretty sure it wasn't Paul's intention to tease everyone with something that wasn't ready for prime time.

Robert
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
My intention is not to be mean, but just voicing an honest compliant about how I feel about his marketing. If Paul's having problems I would suggest he let us (his loyal customers) know what's going on. I'd kindly cut him some slack if I knew what was going on. Paul, please, just let us know.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
OK, Fred, I'm in...

Haiku us, P.H.
And ease our minds with the truth.
You can set us free...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2009 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
As far as "marketing" is concerned---this is a dream come true! All that really has happened so far is an announcement of a fantastic effect that has not yet come to pass. Pre-orders were taken with the promise of a refund (I wonder how many have asked for their money back?) and I have not heard any complaints of anyone asking for and not receiving their money back. Yes a date was set and it came and went with no product yet---in real life this happens---actually a lot. Now back to the "marketing" aspect of this. Page after page after page has been written concerning this effect by people who are interested in it. It has held our attention for quite some time now and continues to do so. "Marketing" was invented for this very reason. To get the product out there with recognition and to cause a certain "hunger" within people for that product. Now I know PH and his sister DID NOT intend for this to happen, but it has. The truth is had this effect come out on time it would by now be a thing of the past. Yes people would still write about a few experiances with Little Man but soon that would fade too. Look at CSI (I love this effect) as soon as it was released some liked it some didn't ---there were some stories shared and then---bye bye. I still use CSI (alot) and still amaze people with it. But there is only so much you can say about something. But Little Man is being talked about DAILY and why? Because we are waiting for his arrival. Now you may say this is negative marketing to which I would perhaps agree---however, when all is said and done, if Little Man walks and we can understand what may have taken so long we WILL buy it and big time. In fact I bet you could not throw a clay stone without hitting a Little Man in the head somewhere---there will be that many sold. But ONLY if it's good. But this delay has kept Little Man on the pages of the Café and in our thoughts. And anyone who knows about Marketing knows that this is in the end a good thing.


Good magic to all,


Eric
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I totally hear what you are saying Robert M. But, I do believe that most of us ARE giving Paul Harris some slack, but that doesn't excuse the infomation that is being past on to us by Janet. Janet has stated that she is in contact with Paul almost everday. So, the information she is giving us can be assumed comes from Paul directly.

We were told that the prototype was working and that a demo was almost finished. Even though she also said that she would post the demo within a few weeks, that was almost two months ago. She assured us that everything was fine and we would see a rough demo which was almost completed very soon.

First the marketing was in question, and now the information that is being fed to us is in question. Who is responsable for the information that is being given to us? Janet? Paul Harris? Rodney Whitlock? I don't blame Janet because she is only passing on information that is being given to her. That information as we now can see no longer holds any wieght to it.

Paul Harris's name is all over this, not Janet's nor Rodney Whitlock's. Paul needs to speak for himself. However, for whatever reason, Paul chooses not to speak for himself but have his sister start a thread promoting a contest and asking for pre-orders while assuring everyone that all is well. We know that all is not well, which only raises more questions. Are we being lied to? Does a working prototype of "Little Man" actually exist? Is there a demo actually in the works? Will "Little Man" ever live up to the hype?

It's not an unusual thing for people to start seriously doubting at this point. It has been a long pointless road filled with broken promises and deadlines. People are starting to loose interrest, some are getting upset, while some are loosing respect for Paul Harris. Can you blame them?

I am the kind of guy who despite the fact that I'm a christian, doesn't try to pretend to be someone that I'm not, or act better than I am. I am prone to say things that I may later regret saying, I will sometimes make mistakes that I will have to apologize later for. But! I will always take responsibility for it.

Paul Harris needs to take responsibility.


Happy New Years everyone!
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
...and a prosperous year to all.
Magic is a vanishing art.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I have some swamp land in Florida that some of you may be interested in buying.
FredNarlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Been waiting for John Dough for the last
317 Posts

Profile of FredNarlo
It's as simple as this...things get delayed in production, setbacks happen unexpectedly and situations come up. We all are merciful and intelligent enough to know this. Paul can do some rather "astonishing" stuff but we all know he REALLY can't tell the future.

The problem isn't solely with the time delay of this product or it's long promised demo, it's the fact the guy who's name is all over it and is the "celebrity" behind it isn't giving us any kind of explanation!

Again, it's not the fact that something unexpected has happened obviously to delay the sceduling, it's the fact that NOBODY of any significance towards this product has said a word in a good while. Anyone who cared about their name (or their brother's name) would say something by now.

Heck, even if Paul got on here and said "Due to blah, blah, blah, the demo (or product) won't be available until 2019." that would be fine! We'd be disappointed, but at least his name wouldn't be continually lowered day after day that nothing is said and his customers are sitting around wondering.

Randy
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Hello all!

Just thinking out loud here......

Let's suppose that PH never comes on here to answer all the concerns but instead
just decides to release Little Man in Feburary of 2010 (arbitratry date...just for argument's sake) with nothing more than a quick "sorry about the delay" response.
Let's say that it turns out to be everything that we'd hope it would be; the greatest effect ever. (I know...I know... just humor me)

Will all the folks that are upset and unhappy with everything that's been going on regarding this product (losing respect for PH, losing interest, unhappy, etc.) go ahead and purchase it?

What would be the justification/rationale for those that do?

Or will you say "no thanks" as a matter of principal?

I realize that my imaginary scenario will probably not come to pass....but still I'm curious.


Respectfully,
Rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
FredNarlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Been waiting for John Dough for the last
317 Posts

Profile of FredNarlo
I'm sure some would probably purchase it BUT his name would never be trusted again. When you have a business, success is not only dependant on your customers buying your product BUT ALSO knowing your customers TRUST your word and your marketing...so that they will return and buy more.

Trust is the issue here, not just selling a product. If trust isn't there, customers won't return.

Randy
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
FredNarlo,
I understand what you're saying, I really do.



However, the question still remains....will YOU purchase it?


Rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
If "Little Man" actually does do what the ads say it can do, and it lives up to it's hype,(no reason at this point for me to continue to believe that it actually will) I may still purchase it. But my disappointment and lack of trust in Paul Harris and his production team won't change. It's not so much from a personal stand point, but from a business one.

I will NEVER make a pre-order with Paul Harris Productions, as that trust has now been tarnished for me. It should also be noted that the offer for anyone who has pre-ordered can request their money back at anytime is not so much an offer made in good faith by PH productions but is indeed part of the consumer protection act. In others words, PH productions legally has to offer anyone their money back on pre-orders.

Paul doesn't need to come on here and explain anything to us. The MagicCafe is not the center of the magic community, but it would be benificial for him to make some kind of statement somewhere instead of hiding behind his sister, which I find disrespectful in itself.

If a demo should ever surface from the abyss, and it shows "Little Man" walking as described in the ads, I'll wait until I hear reviews from it first. I sure won't be quick to send my money that's for sure. Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
FredNarlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Been waiting for John Dough for the last
317 Posts

Profile of FredNarlo
Will I purchase? Only if something is done soon to show some concern for custoemrs. Otherwise, I will just do without.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I want to add that I do not know Paul Harris personally, and my opinions do not reflect on how I feel about him on a personal level. I have no opinion of him on a personal level because I have never met him.

My opinions are soley based on his business practices.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
[quote]On 2009-12-30 13:37, Gospel Dan wrote:
I may still purchase it. But my disappointment and lack of trust in Paul Harris and his production team won't change. It's not so much from a personal stand point, but from a business one.


GD,
But isn't it one and the same thing?
You're saying that you may still purchase it but your disappointment and lack of trust in PH will remain?
How do you separate a personal standpoint from a business standpoint in this case?

If this release happens to be the greatest thing ever....you're saying that you'll have to put aside your personal beliefs just this once?


[quote]Paul doesn't need to come on here and explain anything to us. The MagicCafe is not the center of the magic community, but it would be benificial for him to make some kind of statement somewhere instead of hiding behind his sister, which I find disrespectful in itself.


Hiding behind his sister?
I'm slightly confused here...perhaps I'm not the best reference here but when has PH ever discussed or had an open dialogue regarding his effects/releases in the last several years?


Dan,
I ask these questions with only the greatest respect.
thanks!


Respectfully,
rochaz

Quote:
On 2009-12-30 13:57, FredNarlo wrote:
Will I purchase? Only if something is done soon to show some concern for custoemrs. Otherwise, I will just do without.


FredNarlo,
Fair enough....
Would you please be kind enough to explain how you think he should do this?

Thanks,
rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Perhaps there really is no John Dough and this whole experience is a piece of performance art whereby Paul Harris turns all of us into "...little men..."

jeff
Rafael The Master Hypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
South East Asia
490 Posts

Profile of Rafael The Master Hypnotist
Where I the Good peofrom Paul Harris website?

Strangely they only appear during the Hype and the Sales Pitch


I order this "Little Man" few month ago....no sign of this Little Dude anytime soon I guess

Still Waiting....

...
The BIGEST Room in the world is the Room for Improvement
FredNarlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Been waiting for John Dough for the last
317 Posts

Profile of FredNarlo
HAIKU TIME! A haiku can help tension anytime, just watch...or just read this!

Dough, three hundred bucks
Bad magic business, priceless
Is this just a dream?
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
[quote]On 2009-12-30 14:07, rochaz wrote:
[quote]On 2009-12-30 13:37, Gospel Dan wrote:
I may still purchase it. But my disappointment and lack of trust in Paul Harris and his production team won't change. It's not so much from a personal stand point, but from a business one.


GD,
But isn't it one and the same thing?
You're saying that you may still purchase it but your disappointment and lack of trust in PH will remain?
How do you separate a personal standpoint from a business standpoint in this case?

If this release happens to be the greatest thing ever....you're saying that you'll have to put aside your personal beliefs just this once?


Quote:
Paul doesn't need to come on here and explain anything to us. The MagicCafe is not the center of the magic community, but it would be benificial for him to make some kind of statement somewhere instead of hiding behind his sister, which I find disrespectful in itself.


Hiding behind his sister?
I'm slightly confused here...perhaps I'm not the best reference here but when has PH ever discussed or had an open dialogue regarding his effects/releases in the last several years?


Dan,
I ask these questions with only the greatest respect.
thanks!


Respectfully,
rochaz


I have never met Paul Harris personally. I don't know what kind of a man he is. I do however hear many good things about him as a person and magician.

I choose to seperate him as a human being from his business practices so as not to question his personal integrity or reputation as a person or magician. I am only questioning his business practices which I have no reason to respect due to the nature of the marketing of "Little Man". That is how I seperate the two.

I will obviously be reluctant to fall for the next hype PH Productions puts out on a product, and will never pre-order from them due to them marketing a product, advertising it, offering contests, and making claims about the product that it obviously at the time is not able to do.

"Hiding behind his sister" was a bit strong. That was indeed making a judgement on Paul's personal reputation. Good catch, my bad. For that I do apologize.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Man [Paul Harris Presents...] » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL