We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Man [Paul Harris Presents...] » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..23~24~25 [Next]
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
313 Posts

Profile of Havens
From the PHP website "AT ANY TIME DURING THE PRE ORDER WAITING PROCESS, YOU CAN ASK FOR YOUR MONEY TO BE REFUNDED BACK TO YOU. ESTIMATED TIME OF RELEASE IS OCTOBER."

Is this an old release date that has been put back and missed during the site update, or are we talking October 2010 here? I really hope it's the former or I'll have no choice but to cancel my preorder.
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hello Havens. That was an old date that we missed. It should be out the first quarter of this year. Hopefully sooner than later.

J
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
313 Posts

Profile of Havens
Hi Janet, that sounds fine thanks for clearing that up. Would it be possible to answer the following please?

Is the use of card on the feet necessary? Is it to do with traction or is this more crucial to the effect's workings?

I'd also like to know how big the man can be built, as I'd like it to be visible on stage in small club/room environments? Also can a different bag be used than the one supplied?

Thanks
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I think Gospel Dan may be thinking of Del Ray. I referred to Del early in this or the other thread. Larry Davidson was the only person who picked up on it. More recently Kaufmann has made reference to this as effect progenitor on the genii forum.

Little Man is essentially a version of Del's Willy with a different (and less effective) method.

Del was very secretive about his work and I am sure he would appreciate the fraternity keeping it that way. (I know - hope against hope).

While Del's work is not in print there is a book in the works that may or may not contain a discussion of his methods. I am hoping they opt to avoid a discussion of method - but then again, I think magic should be unique and not a commodity. Del was unique and I think we do ourselves and our art a favor in trying to keep it that way.

I know - hope against hope.

Anverdi put out a toy rabbit which moved around a table and found a card. This was marketed in a limited version and used yet again a different method - but the effect does have a lineage going back to there as well, I would think. (According to Bill Dodson - best friend and confident of Del- Anverdi often looked to Del as "inspiration". Neither Bill nor Del were happy with this dynamic largely because they felt his workmanship was lacking and never wanted their items to be compared).
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
First and foremost, my sincere apologies for insinuating that it was in published form. Truthteller is right in that I was referring to Del Ray.

I am a bumbling idiot for jumping the gun and saying it was in published form when in fact it is not. I regret making my statement before knowing all the facts. I had made a grave mistake by saying the method had already been previously published.

My delay in answering was due to getting permission first to post Del's name.

As for my thoughts and opinions on "Little Man" and the demo. I know I am a very opiniated person, but I have not once insulted anyone who has shared a different opinion than mine. I do not believe that I have resorted to that level like some here choose to do. Nor have I personally attacked Paul Harris. If you choose to assume I did, then I should also have the same right to assume that when I read the ad that "Little Man" would actually walk by actually walking defined by the dictionary's terms of walking.

With that said, I once again offer my apologies for stating that Del Ray's version was published.

Now I have to go finish eating my humble pie. Smile

Dan
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
For those youngsters that don't know Del's work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-ht4FWAxio
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
So that's what he looks like? (lol) I heard he looked more like a boxer. Smile
Thanks for posting it Chris. It put a smile on my face.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Same here Dan!

:rotf:

I think both Del's are wonderful!!

Chris

Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1228 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
The topic "Little Man" is at his place in this thread, although there are two and that is is a little confusing.
But... now someone opened a THIRD in the thread "Tricks & Effects"
Is it the intent to open on every thraed on the forum a topic Little Man?
More than 4 months of advertizing and 3 topics about it.
TO much can also work contra-productive.....
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Don't forget about the one that was locked. Smile

It might be because this thread has a lot of negative opinions in regards to the marketing and such, therefore a new thread was opened up to hopefully get away from all of it, and into a more pro for, rather than a pro against.

Just my opinion.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
And I thought it was because of bad haiku...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Haiku Time!!!

I eat humble pie,
with red faced embarrassment,
Walk little man, walk!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Didn't Darth Vader, in the last Star Wars film, sort of walk like this? He just got his 'new" legs and was a bit unsteady. That seems to be the way it would be if you were just given life ( or your legs had atrophied ).

I like The Little Man demo. If someone molded this in front of me and it shuffled over and lit flash paper, I'd be pretty shocked by it.

Chris

Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Or call the cops and have him arrested for arson.(lol)
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2010-01-04 13:56, Gospel Dan wrote:
My delay in answering was due to getting permission first to post Del's name.

Why on earth would you need permission to post Del's name, and who on earth did you presumably get that permission from?

There is no "permission" required to post a credit.

Are you sure you weren't just talking out of class?
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Because the source of information was shared to me in PM by someone I respect. I jumped the gun and spoke out of line when I first posted my comments in regards to it being previously marketed and published. I was absolutely wrong for saying that is was already a marketed and published effect. That was my mistake, and was not part of the info that was given to me.

As far as who I got the info from is really irrelevant. It was reliable and that's all that matters. But, there are several sources out there, including the Genii Forum. When someone sends something to me via private message, I respect it as being privately shared to me.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Dan
KevinKM99
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of KevinKM99
I just saved myself $300. Wildly disappointing based on the demo.
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1116 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Congratulations to the PH team Little Man indeed has walked a fine walk.

I personally intend to spend some time developing Little Man into an emotionally charged highlight and really think this has wonderful symbolic magical overtones to explore. It has really got me thinking about the deeper context and symbolism of the magic at work here... creation of life theme - just doesn't get much better or more meaningful. If you can get people involved in creating Little Man and achieve a 'buy in' on the personal attachment to the little guy as well as embellish the atmosphere with music, a natural and meaningful story and what PH would probably call 'mental feelies' then the impact of Little Man's first few steps should potentially bring a tear to the eye of even the hardest heart.

Thanks again PH & team!

Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
David Leon
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of David Leon
I think this would be great to use Green clay and do a story of Dr. Frankenstein and build my monster. They way he walks looks like Frank. Could be a great story to tell, each part you create comes from someone different and then with a shock he comes to life totally unexpected! oh, no...just told my routine for this, oh well. Have fun!
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I wish whoever owned Del Ray's legacy would release his frog. That's the most amazing trick ever.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Man [Paul Harris Presents...] » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.44 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL