We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Man [Paul Harris Presents...] » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22~23~24~25 [Next]
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Why doesn't Paul Harris come on here and answer some of people's concerns? If he wants to put his name behind a product he should anser questions good or bad.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Not sure if this has been recommended as I cannot sift through 390 posts.
Let's follow Mr. Muggle's lead as he came very close to the "walking" solution by forming a Penguin which walks almost exactly as a real Penguin.
I am sure you can create many story lines for the little Black n White suited bird or anything else you can sculpt with a theme to fit the shuffle.
Maybe a Michael Jackson concept aint to bad...not sure if I want to go there creatively yet Smile
If we begin to think outside the box I am sure many cool ideas will come forth.
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Time to lock this thread?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2010-01-07 10:46, Chance Wolf wrote:
Not sure if this has been recommended as I cannot sift through 390 posts.
Let's follow Mr. Muggle's lead as he came very close to the "walking" solution by forming a Penguin which walks almost exactly as a real Penguin.
I am sure you can create many story lines for the little Black n White suited bird or anything else you can sculpt with a theme to fit the shuffle.
Maybe a Michael Jackson concept aint to bad...not sure if I want to go there creatively yet Smile
If we begin to think outside the box I am sure many cool ideas will come forth.
Chance

I think it was Angelo Carbone's idea to make a penguin rather than a little man.

Have to agree with Pete. Perhaps it's time to lock this unproductive thread. I wish those who criticize would stop and think about how much time, effort, and expense goes into creating something like this.

Robert
ricardo carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of ricardo carpenter
... and Little Man finally said :
"...Then the dust goes back to the ground as it was before, and the breath of life goes back to God who gave it...."
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Mold a snowman, like in Rudolph from the 1960's? The Burl Ives Snowman sort of moved like Little Man.

Or, for the VERY adult crowd, mold it I to Michael Jackson's nose ( his reportedly came off ) and have it move, looking, for Jacko. I know, a bit cryptic, but weave a story about it ( taking it out of the bag, giving a use for the bag ).

Christopher
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2010-01-07 12:13, Review King wrote:

Or, for the VERY adult crowd, mold it I to Michael Jackson's nose ( his reportedly came off ) and have it move, looking, for Jacko. I know, a bit cryptic, but weave a story about it ( taking it out of the bag, giving a use for the bag ).

Christopher

Now that would be hilarious!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Michael Jackson's nose! I love it! Kids would love it too - I have Captain Knottybeard's "spare nose" in my Treasure Chest, and the kids adore it. Of course, there's no reason why you shouldn't have any number of different presentations for this. I had planned to make a pirate, but now I'm thinking about a nose....squeeze it at the end and a load of snot shoots out?
He he.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2010-01-07 07:00, Sybilmagic wrote:
why wouldn't people Google something that bugged the crap out of them? People love the ability to find any information and Google spoons feeds it, don't be under an illusion that people are too polite to at least (at a high level) check that their 'state of astonishment' wasn't for something too obvious.....
As proof I did the following: Google Search
Why is showing the demo video to a friend wrong?

Firstly, what would someone Google? "Walking clay figure"? that may turn it up, they won't know to enter "Little Man", "Paul Harris", etc, so it could take hours.....they might just go and get a beer. The only ones likely to Google your tricks are teenagers - and then, only those nerdy enough to be interested in finding out how magic is "done".
Showing the demo video to your friends is bad form. Of course, show it to fellow magi's, but not to your laymen friends. The video is intended as a demo for magicians, not for critical review as if it were a performance. If you as a performer can't see the potential in it, it's unlikely your friends will either.
Potty Smile
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1354 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Although I like it, I would probably never use it because I don't use tables in my show. Now, last time I went to my granddaughters house, she was sitting on the floor playing with playdoe. She was making little people. She is 6 years old. I imagined I could do little man for her right then and there. That would have been something. Real close to an Astonishment moment that Paul talks about. (Being a normal person and using items on hand to make a moment of astonishment.)

The moment came and went. As magicians, we should be able to set the stage for this to happen. If that is the way you perform. When I work for money I just walk up to people and do everything in the hands. My stage show is basically all in the hands also.

ACE Smile (look at the little man dance)
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I wrote in Magic, people do google magic secrets. Handhelds are everywhere and it is too easy not to. Googling is now no different from leaning over to your friend and asking 'hey, do you know how they did it?'

And yes, they have enough info to find it online. I can cite specific examples of this happening to friends of mine, but I am sure most working performers who 1. fool people and 2. work for those who have access to the internet have had their own experiences. And yes, they will end up here.

I agree that the bag was a poor choice. Why not use one of those play-dough mats that come with the kits. It would make sense to play with the dough on the mat designed to be played on. It also serves the known purpose of keeping the surrounding environment clean.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Re. something that might "walk" like that in real life, how about a baby crawling on all fours, with the bag decorated as a baby gift bag? I'm not sure if the crawling would work given the mechanics of this effect, since the figure would be longer than taller, it would touch the bag in four places, and what would the paper on the knees and elbows represent, kneepads and elbowpads? Even if it would work, I'd want the crawling to be a means to an end versus an end itself. Maybe instead of a baby crawling, it could be a man crawling on all fours to lay carpet, or a car with a poor GPS system and a dotted white line drawn on the black bag to represent a road? Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2010-01-07 06:37, Potty the Pirate wrote:
I never called anyone any names, Scott, stop making things up. I'm just bored with reading the same old thing from the same people over and over again. I often have negative things to say about new products, read the "Teddy Bear Turmoil" thread for instance. BUT, I make my point, and then refrain from sticking my oar in, as I respect the fact that some folks WILL like it, and want to have a chance to discuss how they'll use it, not hear negative comments from folks who haven't got a clue how to incorporate it into their show.
The problem is Scott, that you and several others have hi-jacked this thread, making it a waste of anyone's time to read. As I said, it's akin to listening to a bunch of schoolchildren talking about the latest "must have" in the playground.
13 pages, and barely a creative idea in sight.
And if your audiences rush to the nearest computer to Google the trick you just did, you are getting your performance SERIOUSLY wrong! Geez...and a "true litmus test" is a performance, not showing the demo video to your friends. Wrong, wrong, wrong. And wrong again!
;)

This is my 4th post in 14 pages. I stated my opinion of the product, and then I took issue with the way you and Darius responded to people who disagreed with your opinions of the effect of Little Man. I don't see how that's hijacking a thread.

As I said in my first post, others may really like this.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Pros: Cute
Negs: Not that magical (IMO)
Price: Cheap if you will use it, expensive if you don't.

Mark
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2010-01-07 15:50, Larry Davidson wrote:
Re. something that might "walk" like that in real life, how about a baby crawling on all fours, with the bag decorated as a baby gift bag?

Actually, those guys with their pants way down low sort of walk like that, too...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Player Dough?
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

How about a magician crawling before he can walk?
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
313 Posts

Profile of Havens
Quote:
On 2010-01-07 15:28, truthteller wrote:
This thread should NOT be locked. To do so would send the message that popular magicians should be free from criticism. This category is about discussing hype and the speculation of methods, that is what we see here so the thread is accomplishing its goals.

I totally agree with this as it smacks of censorship. Calling for threads to be deleted or locked can actually harm the respect a creator has only for another thread to be created elsewhere in the forum.

Aside from the odd troll and *** kisser I see a lot of positive discussion here and I hope this continues in order to stimulate ideas and help improve the product before release. Janet has also been good enough to respond to comments on her brother's behalf, which I'm sure is appreciated by most members taking part in this discussion and would be unfair on her to lock a thread that PHP is actively involved in.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I commend Janet for how she has been responding to the many honest opinions being shared here.

But, I do believe that all the other threads that keep popping up in retaliation, (excluding the one in Little Darlings) should be locked or deleted. This forum is not intended to discuss creative idea's and in my personal opinion shows a disregard to the rules and those who work hard to keep this place what it is.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I agree also. It seems Scott is trying to get us to understand the importance of proper form with our posts. Perhaps threads get locked not so much because of WHAT is being said but rather HOW it is being said...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Man [Paul Harris Presents...] » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22~23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL