The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Invisible Billets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
I hear that Jheff is going to put out Cassidy's Invisible Billet manuscript.

I have also heard that it contains some interesting info on impressions devices and cribs. But the most interesting item will be for those who are interested in Cassidy's Card Memory Routine....a new type of never-before-seen deck...interesting!

Does anyone here know anything about it?
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thank you for the heads up, Jeremy.

I just placed my order on Jheff's site, as Bob Cassidy's material is always good.

Hopefully my copy should arrive soon.

Elliott
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Got it!! Can't wait to read it.

EB
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
This sound really interesting as I'm sure it will be filed with a wealth of knowledge. All Bobs work is great.

Daren
Twitter @darjames
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
I've gotten one and gave it a quick read. I will post a review soon. But I have to get through PS3 first!
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
390 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Thanks for the mention, Jeremy. Yes, it is now available.

For convenience, here's the link:
http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/Invisible_Billet.html

-- Jheff
Marketplace of the Mind THE LAZY MENTALIST'S CARD TRICK is now available!!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Just a quick note to thank everyone for the nice reception of "The Invisible Billet." I've tipped some stuff in it that I've held close to the vest for a long time, and I'm glad to hear that many of you have been inspired to make miracles with it.

Best-

Bob
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
606 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Hi Jheff,

I tried to get it through your site but PayPal doesn't like me -- when I go to complete the transaction and click on the 'Pay Now' button I get:

Sorry — your last action could not be completed

If you were making a purchase or sending money, we recommend that you check
both your PayPal account and your email for a transaction confirmation after 30
minutes.

If you came to this page from another website, please return to that site
(don't use your browser's Back button) and restart your activity.

If you came from PayPal's website, click the PayPal logo in the upper-left
corner to return to our home page and restart your activity. You might have to

Any thoughts, help or other advice Smile

BTW, I emailed you about this as well -- but also put it here in case anyone else is having similar problems.

Thanks much,

David
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
A few days ago, Steve Brooks sent a PM about this to all at the Café.

I think he wrote that one solution is to manually enter the email address, instead of copy/pasting it.
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
606 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Yep saw that.

It's funny though because a tad earlier I did the same type of transaction and it OK perfect Smile In both cases the order process took me directly to the PayPal page and where PayPal did it's thing. Guess that you're probably right and I'll need to do it manually.
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Review:
Ok....Here goes....In summary..."Bob Cassidy makes sense." That is all there is to it. His direct thinking , presentational style and use of logical disconnects are what all mentalists should aspire to be.

This eBook is not for the dilettante or hobbyist. It is for real workers. So if you don't know what an "umbrella move" is, just move on and read the 13 steps. For everyone else...here is the scoop.

Bob starts with an expert from a writing of his done in 2006. It is a bit of cleverness that started with a matchbook, and I think led him down the path of this book. The great thing about "matchbook mentalism" is that matchbooks are ubiquitous--even today when smoking is so disdained. Go into any restaurant and you'll find what you need for "impromptu" mentalism free for the taking. Go ahead. They want you to. Also, anyone who knows Bob or his work, knows that he looks at everyday objects as if he were an alien from outer space. This allows him to play" with items in ways that most ordinarily would not. Out of this "play" is birthed new uses for everyday objects and new routines. The point is, if you were really a mentalist, you could do your mentalism" with everyday objects and here is one such item.

The second point is that this manuscript should serve to stimulate you and your own ideas. Really, there are no "routines" with polished patter lines that you can just drop into your act word for word (which is a great thing for most mentalists/magicians. Like I said, this book is for advanced people that can see value in methods and use them to make your own routines. I digress.

So, the matchbook section, comes with an analysis of the Jinx Center Tear. A bit of history helps set up what is to follow. most mentalists relay on a few core devices to perform their miracles. What follows is an excellent exploration of the matchbook as a mentalists mini prop that is an all-in-one kind of device that covers most of that mentalists need in their arsenal.

Enough with the matchbooks. Bob moves on to The Billet Board. I will directly quote from the pdf: "Many years ago I created an impression device called 'The Billet Board' that was sold as
a dealer item. I no longer make them (except for myself) but here provide you with the
original instructions along with construction details so that you can easily make one for
yourself. "

So there you have it. Bob gives you the ability to make your own prop, step by step. I have tried it. It works great. It is always best to work with items that are cheap and you can make yourself. If you can't take it apart and put it back together again, you shouldn't be using it. (This is how I feel about most electronic devices.)

Part 2
Brain Echo: Here, Bob tidies up an already brilliant methodology. But it isn't just guilding the lily. It puts in the appropriate logical disconnect that will throw off seasoned professionals.

Section 3:
Cribs...those of you who have purchased Bob's work in the past, know that cribs can be very, very useful...and here are a few. Recently, a book came out by a mentalist whose work I really admire. Really, really admire. But he was pretty down on cribs and preferred brain-busting memorization. Granted, once memorized, he offered many routines with this sequence. Yet, is still feel no need to memorize stuff, when I have a crib. Cribs aren't for reading word for word. They are a safety for when the lights are hot, and the nerves are tweaking. Don't be scared. Cheat.

Next section:
The Frixion pen has been a method looking for a routine. So far, I have been not so impressed by much of what has been released. I like them. I have them. I play with them. Here is a little something. That makes sense.

Green Eggs and Ham..... Perhaps, I gravitate towards it because I have little ones. Its clever. Not earth shattering, but clever and will get you thinking, what other books are there that I could do this with? It isn't a routine. But it is stimulating.

Memory deck....Bob's memory deck routine is great. In fact, I saw someone do it last year at Mindvention. It is great. Now this little "addition" will trip up anyone who knows the method. It will burn them bad! I think someone is purchasing the rights to make the deck commercially. I have already made one (again...I like to be able to make things myself.) It is a mindblower and, quite frankly, I can see other uses for this deck. Oil and water, living/dead, etc.,etc.

For the next bit, I quote:
"The PTW23 Pocket Writer
Following are modified instructions that originally were issued with the PTW23 pocket
writer when it was offered for sale as a dealer item."

Again, make your own and go to town. pocket Writing is an art that is done by few and fewer still, seem to do it well. Let this be a reminder to revisit this art and practice it over and over. Bob includes a mini tutorial.

There you have it. Is it groundbreaking? No. Is it great? Yes. Is it a value? Well, considering all the methods given---yeah, it is a value. Is it for everyone? No. I think you need to have a solid foundation in mentalism before reading anything by Cassidy.

Is this review objective? Probably not. I give it two thumbs up. But then again, I haven't read anything by Cassidy I didn't like.
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
jjsanvert
View Profile
Special user
Paris, France
585 Posts

Profile of jjsanvert
This is a great e-book - one of the best Bob ever wrote. The memory deck idea alone is fantastic. I immediatly made one after reading the concept. The billet board is another very good idea for close-up situations. You don't have to re-open a wallet to glimpse the spectator's writing. Just pocket the "board" and you are (almost) done. Very natural. Some other concepts are also brilliant - specially on PW. I recommand this.
JJS
Harris0n
View Profile
Loyal user
leeds uk
290 Posts

Profile of Harris0n
"There are times when the truth is necessary and times when myth-making is necessary." Nick Cave
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On 2009-09-10 03:44, jeremysweiss wrote:
The Frixion pen has been a method looking for a routine. So far, I have been not so impressed by much of what has been released.

You obviously have not tried Millard Longman’s routine. One would have to work really hard to not like that one.
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
You are right! I have not seen it. I will check it out--thanks!

Quote:
On 2009-09-10 09:56, ElliottB wrote:
Quote:
The Frixion pen has been a method looking for a routine. So far, I have been not so impressed by much of what has been released.

You obviously have not tried Millard Longman’s routine. One would have to work really hard to not like that one.
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
606 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Elliott -- where can one find Millard's Frixion routine\? I have a bunch of his stuff but haven't gone through it all yet :-(

Thanks,

David
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
David,

As requested, I PM'd you the source for that routine. I think you may already have it in your library.

Elliott
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:

Sorry for the shameless plug (not really), but my book Stone Frixion Fire has been a very well received book with a lot of great ideas and a lot of great contributions from others.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Re: The Invisible Billet

A few guys have asked me how I work the "Green Eggs and Ham" effect into my act. As I noted in "The Invisible Billet," it offers a lot of possibilities for humor consistent with your performing persona.

I use it when a book test participant has apparent trouble understanding my instructions (which is something I intentionally cause.) I say, "Look, why don't we just try it with this?" as I pick up the Dr. Seuss book. Gets a good laugh and leads naturally into the test.

Best-

Bob
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Ah, that's a great idea (of course, coming from the master). Another approach is the idea of returning to our child-like mind, when things were simple and pure. Use the book and also some type of kids drawing pad for a drawing dup, like an etch-a-sketch.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Invisible Billets (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL