The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Aging a book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Hey guys,

Do any of you know how to age a book?

I'm planning on using Book of Lies from PS2 for a halloween show. I would like to make the book appear older and tattered and not the reality which is I just went to Borders and bought it.

Thanks for any tips.
-isid0re
Pablo_Amira
View Profile
Special user
Temuco, Chile
682 Posts

Profile of Pablo_Amira
Burning the borders
-------------------------------------------
Asombro...lo más elevado a que puede llegar el hombre

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Do you mean the bookstore or the book's edges Smile if I burn the books edges then I the outside will look aged right? but won't the pages themselves still look newer?
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Tea and sandpaper.

Luke
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Watercolors. sploth them around on the tea stained paper, and briefly rewet. Splotches will spread. Makes it easy to add different tones on the same page.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
Synchronicity (again!). I read this page on the web just yesterday:

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs32/f/2008/2......girl.pdf

The tutorial is actually about "aging" books in Photoshop, but the value of it with respect to your question lies in its description of the physical processes that occur to a well-read book over time.

Imagine a history for your book then apply pablo's, shield's, and brody's advice as required.

Also do a search in the "Spooky" forum--I think the topic (book and/or paper aging) has come up before.

Please post "before and after" photos--love to see 'em.

cheers,

Lin
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
My nephew (baby-faced and in his early 20's) is interested in performing mentalism, but agrees with the idea that he would have more credibility if he looked older, so we decided to use the above advice to age him...

We burned his edges, then soaked him in tea, now it's time to sandpaper him. If that doesn't work, we're thinking of sending him over to Rick at Outlaw since he does such a terrific job. I'll post pictures once we're done.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Aging a book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL