The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » New from Taylor Imagineering: ALONE! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23..26~27~28 [Next]
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2009-11-16 14:43, magicFreak2 wrote:

LOL! I'm in NY so when I order it won't take so long Smile

Don't bet on it. It takes me longer to get things from Canada than from China. And I'm right next door in MA.

Unless it is expressed, expect at least a 3-week wait.

Tony
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2009-11-16 16:14, kissdadookie wrote:
Magicfreak, based on how Alone works for such an effect, you would not need any receivers for your confederate. It's pretty plain as day for your confederate to "see" which card the spec has chosen. In that regard, it's not a good idea to go this route because it's pretty obvious how someone in the audience can come to the conclusion of which card has been selected. The strength of the divining a thought of card routine using Alone is that the performer sees nothing thus to the audience it seems impossible for you to figure out which card the person has selected.

No, I was not insinuating that a card was SELECTED, but merely THOUGHT of. Smile hope that clarifies it.
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Quote:
On 2009-11-16 16:29, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Quote:

Don't bet on it. It takes me longer to get things from Canada than from China. And I'm right next door in MA.

Tony

I'd like to chime in here and agree with Tony. Being from Canada and selling and shipping things to the states it for some reason takes a rediculusly long time. I have had a product take almost five weeks to get to the States.

Daren
Twitter @darjames
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Bummer, a 3-5 weeks (a month or more) is a long time Smile
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3620 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I understand what you are saying, I just don't think you understand the method behind it. Alone isn't a peeking device nor is it a instant impression device. It's quite brilliantly simple in its workings.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3665 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2009-11-16 19:29, kissdadookie wrote:
... Alone isn't a peeking device nor is it a instant impression device. It's quite brilliantly simple in its workings.

Yes, indeed Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2009-11-16 19:29, kissdadookie wrote:
Alone isn't a peeking device nor is it a instant impression device. It's quite brilliantly simple in its workings.

That sounds like an oxymoron to me Smile
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Quote:
On 2009-11-16 17:26, Daren James wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-16 16:29, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Quote:

Tony

I'd like to chime in here and agree with Tony. Being from Canada and selling and shipping things to the states it for some reason takes a rediculusly long time. I have had a product take almost five weeks to get to the States.

Daren
Shipping from Canada to USA takes more long times because of customs.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3620 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
You will understand when you receive yours magicfreak2. LoL. It's brilliantly simple in the same way that IT is brilliantly simple but extremely flexible and capable of complex miracles.
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2009-11-17 14:36, kissdadookie wrote:
You will understand when you receive yours magicfreak2. LoL. It's brilliantly simple in the same way that IT is brilliantly simple but extremely flexible and capable of complex miracles.

I was joking Smile
aukt
View Profile
Special user
768 Posts

Profile of aukt
Just a brief few thoughts on this after receiving it and selling it.

1. the device is of excellent build quality.
2. there is some notable body set up. Far too much for me.
3. The brains of the receiver are in the normal familiar ti receiver box. Personally, it's much too big for me - but I think this comes from me working with the excellent filitetti receivers. The alone receiver is roughly the volume of 6/8 boxes of matches.
4. The signal is unmissable. really strong. you'll never miss a beat.
5. The range is not long, but then it's not supposed to be. Mine topped out at around 8 metres. No more.
6. The pen is horrible. Just awful.
7. All the routines can be performed exactly as the video's demonstrate. The one where a card is divined will not work all the time, even with the 'workarounds' suggested on the ti forum, and even with excellent spectator management. I've been performing professionally for 10 years - I know how to manage spectators. I'd never use this particular effect in a paid performance.
8. Packaging and instructional material are good quality.
9. The effects are not really openers or closers, imho. If I kept the device I'd have used it as a middle bit, but not as an opener or closer.
10. Customer service and shipping speed are very good.
11. I do not feel that any of the single or collective effects are worth the price of the item. The reactions in the real world just aren’t as strong as I’d hope. For now, my killer walkaround material is

Multidimensional
Ufo (for which hand and other stuff)
Butterfly pad
Suc II wallet.
Nw.

REspectfully, Imho, having fully road tested it, none of the effects with alone have the impact that any of these other high or low tech methods employ.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6121 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Its good to get an honest review for a change.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4189 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
EDIT
xxx
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1192 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Quote:
On 2009-11-23 08:12, mindpunisher wrote:

I agree. My compliments for a thorough and honest review that will allow performers to evaluate how useful the product will be for them.

Steve
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2141 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Quote:
On 2009-11-23 08:05, aukt wrote:
Just a brief few thoughts on this after receiving it and selling it.

1. the device is of excellent build quality.
2. there is some notable body set up. Far too much for me.
3. The brains of the receiver are in the normal familiar ti receiver box. Personally, it's much too big for me - but I think this comes from me working with the excellent filitetti receivers. The alone receiver is roughly the volume of 6/8 boxes of matches.
4. The signal is unmissable. really strong. you'll never miss a beat.
5. The range is not long, but then it's not supposed to be. Mine topped out at around 8 metres. No more.
6. The pen is horrible. Just awful.
7. All the routines can be performed exactly as the video's demonstrate. The one where a card is divined will not work all the time, even with the 'workarounds' suggested on the ti forum, and even with excellent spectator management. I've been performing professionally for 10 years - I know how to manage spectators. I'd never use this particular effect in a paid performance.
8. Packaging and instructional material are good quality.
9. The effects are not really openers or closers, imho. If I kept the device I'd have used it as a middle bit, but not as an opener or closer.
10. Customer service and shipping speed are very good.
11. I do not feel that any of the single or collective effects are worth the price of the item. The reactions in the real world just aren’t as strong as I’d hope. For now, my killer walkaround material is

Multidimensional
Ufo (for which hand and other stuff)
Butterfly pad
Suc II wallet.
Nw.

REspectfully, Imho, having fully road tested it, none of the effects with alone have the impact that any of these other high or low tech methods employ.

aukt: thank you. I also appreciate your INFORMED review and I understand your comparison because of the other products you own and tested them all
patrick66
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
384 Posts

Profile of patrick66
PsiDroid, thank you for this review, I IMMEDIATELY cancelled my pre-order, I hope Chris and Peter accept it.
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
Hi All,

It's been a while since I responded to this thread as I have been busy performing. I (like many of you) am now into the full throws of the Christmas party season, boy do I love this time of year!

I would first like to address some of the comments aukt gave in his review. First I would like to thank you for taking the time to write the review. Good or bad we want to hear your comments. Comments & opinions are great feedback for creators such as myself or Christopher Taylor.

I would like to clarify a few of the points made.

The size of the receiver is larger than those used by Craig Filicetti however to say it is the size of 6 to 8 matchboxes is simply incorrect although I guess it could depend on the size of the matchboxes. The receiver used is the same one that is used for all of the Taylor Imagineering products (in size that is). I would say it's about the size of two matchboxes side by side. The TI receivers are a little larger but this system works for TI, if it's not broke don't fix it as they say. The receiver is a dependable work horse & comes with fully adjustable vibration units (on both channels) so you can adjust the strength of vibration to suit you. You will not miss with these units . I have used TI receivers for many years even before Christopher & I met & trust me, they are hard working products in the field of full time performing.

The pen, well it's a pen. It's black with a click on click off operation. It's the same kind of pen used for the solstice wallet (although not the same inside the pen ;o). Again I feel the pen is a worker, looks great & to be honest I have never had a problem with the pen, I fail to see what's awful about it?

I will stress again that all of the demo videos for ALONE show you exactly what ALONE is capable of & believe me when I say that every one of the reactions in the videos are real & unedited (except for a little editing for time on the demos). These videos were also the only demos shot, we did not shoot 50 demo videos & choose the best ones as we simply did not have time. The reactions you see were the first ones we got & the only ones we got.

Like any effect ALONE will work for some & not for others I am sure. The reactions I get with ALONE are great! I know my name is on the product so you may or may not take my word for it :o)

We have given you 7 demo videos, Patrick G Redford gave you one more & many well respected performers have given you their comments.

Ultimately you will like ALONE or you won't. Don't buy it if you are unsure, on the other hand if you like what you see & are unsure drop me or Christopher a PM or an email & we are only too happy to help before you buy.

Cheers,

Matt Johnson
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2080 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Quote:

I would very much like to have all the dishonest comments and reviews regarding my products pointed out so that they can be removed from the Café immediately. Cheers.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Well, here's an honest review. I love my Alone unit. When I first received it, one side was not quite as sensitive as the other side, and I brought it up to Christopher. He was quick to help me with a simple adjustment and now both sides are equally fantastic/sensitive -- so gotta say that the commitment to keep customers happy is top notch.

Second, I have to agree with Matt in that the pen is a pen. It's reliable, it works, and it seems like a pen to those who hold it. Not sure what else is needed from it.

In terms of whether it can be used as an opening or closing effect -- I'm not sure how that relates as a product critique. Alone is a device that can be used to accomplish many things. I don't question Aukt's opinion, but it's just that -- an opinion. An opening effect using Alone doesn't really fit my criteria for an opening effect either, but neither do thousands and thousands of effects, so again, don't see that as a downside to the product.

As for a closing effect, well, it depends on what you do -- the venue, your style...etc. I recently adapted a Richard Busch effect I've been doing for many years with the Alone device for my walk around show. It's my closer effect. It's always gotten a great reaction in the past, but now with Alone, it truly comes off as a pure mind reading miracle. In just the past few weeks, I've had several people track me down afterward and want to talk more about how it the world I could have done what I did.

So I think it all comes down to that ever nebulous comment of --whatever floats your boat. For me, Alone floats it, and I'm one happy sailor.
aukt
View Profile
Special user
768 Posts

Profile of aukt
Quote:
On 2009-11-23 17:24, willowtaylor wrote:
Quote:

I would very much like to have all the dishonest comments and reviews regarding my products pointed out so that they can be removed from the Café immediately. Cheers.

Christopher

Christopher, I think you are misunderstanding his sentiment. I believe he's referring to the fact that there's a bit of a "fanboy" movement at times with new products. People are often reticent to speak openly and honestly, lest they be dubbed an inexperience unprofessional who doesn't realise what a gem they have on their hands. The finley stuff is an example, imho.

Matt - there really is no need for rebuttal, although I certainly respect your right to do so. I stand by everything I've said - including the matchbox statement - but perhaps there are regional differences in matchbox sizes. To put it in perhaps more familiar terms, I would say that the ti receiver and a standard deck of bicycle cards are of virtually identical volume (when you factor in the fact that the ti receiver is markedly thicker than a deck of bikes, and somewhat shorter in length). I can easily take a photograph of the comparison if anyone's interested? the receiver image is public domain and posted both here and on christoper's site in the past.

-----edit. actually just had a moment to take the photograph. Here's the link.
http://img159.yfrog.com/img159/144/bng.jpg

RE the pen. It truly is awful. It's a cheap, light, tacky piece of plastic. It's one of the reasons I didn't use solstice for such a long time - I spent a ton of time looking for a replacement that I could trick out myself. You may say that the point is for it to look normal and everyday. I say as a person who charges just short of $2k from my best corporate clients, if I pull this thing out the very feel of the item will cause the spectators to think for a second beat. it's rattly, it feels cheap and low quality, and it's ugly. This is not a personal slight on your or christopher - it's probably the only one you could find with a)space inside to trick it out and b)of a price that would facilitate the obvious bulk purchasing that you would have been doing. So I can understand the business justifications for it. But it's a horribly ugly pen. Again, my own opinion. your mileage may vary.

Please - I hadn't intended it as a negative review. It was a 100% honest account of my experience of the product. In sum, the receiver was much too large for me, considering I'd need a pocket large enough to hold it and also would need to be running multiple wires from that location to wherever the routine/my attire needed them to go. I simply cannot refer to an electronic receiver without comparing it to the new generation filicetti receivers. Not to compare would have been hugely remiss of me. Filicetti receivers are the size of a few coins. I'm not saying either is better - just stating facts and saying which I prefer.

Many will like alone - and that's great! But looking back on this purchase I see now that the reactions on the demo video's really aren't that great, and I got similar reactions when I tried out the effects on both family and my clients at events.

Please - don't' take these comments as personal. I can see it's your baby, and you've come a long way with it. I just don't believe the EFFECT on the SPECTATORS is worth the asking price. My opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » New from Taylor Imagineering: ALONE! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23..26~27~28 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.94 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL