We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Open Air Mentalism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KPPfeiffer
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of KPPfeiffer
I got a request to perform on an "open day" of an organization. Normally, I'm reluctant to perform on an open air stage and especially mentalism is more suited for an intimate/theater setting IMHO. But maybe you have different experiences.
The conditions:
-performance time: 15-20 minutes max.
- large stage, no steps on the front. Access to the stage is on the side. The stage is 1 meter high, so no jumping on and off the stage.
-lots of people standing in front of the stage (no exact no. of course. It could be hundreds and hundreds of people or a few).
-there is an MC who runs the show with many different acts (bands, dancers, etc.)

Visibility is an issue. Audience participation would slow down the show a lot.
What do you think? Any ideas are welcome!
Thanks
Stefan O.
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Stefan O.
Hm.. as mentalism in general strongly relies on audience participation this really is quite difficult. So I would try to work with the audience without getting them on stage everytime.

The tossed out deck or Cody S. Fisher's Killer Prediction instantly come to mind. Also, a stage version of The Silent Treatment (which also falls into the category of mentalism) might work quite well.

Just my two cents

Stefan

http://www.stefanmagie.de/shop.htm
EXCLUSIVE MENTALISM PRODUCTS - Check out Stefan's original routines!

http://shop.stefanmagie.de
KPPfeiffer
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of KPPfeiffer
Danke Stefan!
Yes, its difficult. Some PK effects coudl work, levitation of a table maybe. Mental Epic - people shout their selections (I hate the prop, but Alexander did a very good routine with it.)
Any more ideas or experiences?
thorsten dankworth
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of thorsten dankworth
I had two acts under nearly the same conditions. I did a mindreading demonstration with two spectators and shattered (a russian roulette routine).
I also asked the mc to bring the spectators to me, so I hadn´t to leave the stage. Music between the break is also helpful, if you want to work with spectators on stage.
Generally I can say that such kind of events are the worst case scenario for mentalism. If you have the chance to include stage hypnosis, do that. This works well for such kind of events.
KPPfeiffer
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of KPPfeiffer
Thorsten, thanks for your imput! Very good!
Good to know that this is a worst case scenario and not only my intuition/anxiety. Now I can prepare better mentally.
I would like to develop these ideas further. Seems to be a discussion among us german mentalists at the moment.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2503 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I worked outdoors a whole summer at an amusement park. Wind can be a problem even with heavier props. Make sure your mic has a wind guard.
And you want to keep the pace up because if they're walking around or free to come & go it's like a street show-you have to keep their attention or they'll find something else to do.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Open Air Mentalism? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL