The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Chinese rings advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1482 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Hello,
I never worked with full sized rings. I could find a set of 1O inches rings (27,5 centimeters), but I find the K** to be very small. What size would you recommand for the k** to be, considering the size of the rings?
Thanks,
Jonathan.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Pull it open a little at a time until if works best for you.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
A rule of thumb (no pun intended) I've heard is that the opening should be about the width of your index finger. That might be a good place to start, then follow Pete's advice from there.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3596 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Mine's about an inch. Makes it easier for some of the moves in Whit Hydn's routine.

Jim
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
As folks have said, you can just make it bigger, or if you have tools, you can cut it so that it be bigger, this doesn't change the diameter of the key ring.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
There is no right or wrong. It all depends on what comforts you the most.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1482 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Thanks a lot for the advices. Mine seems to be in the standards.

Quote:
On 2009-09-11 23:38, Dynamike wrote:
There is no right or wrong. It all depends on what comforts you the most.

Of course. But as I am not good (yet, hopefully) with those props, I just wanted to make sure that the rings were in a good shape for starting to work.

Thanks again!
Jonathan.
Callisto
View Profile
New user
France
67 Posts

Profile of Callisto
Don't be afraid to have a large gap for the key... I think that one thumb large is good.
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
Is there a specific set of rings better then others?
Rick
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sure. Owen and Porper make the best... Old saying, "You get what you pay for". However, Chris Capehart kills with his rings and he uses cheap ones. Study his DVD to find out why.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Be careful what cheap set you use. Inspect them before buying them.

I was asked to demo the rings at the local magic shop and was surprised what I found in a box of Empire rings. Does anyone know a good routine for use with a couple of triples and a double? ROTFLMAO!!! That's Chinese quality control for you! My next set will probably be made in America or Europe. India doesn't get any more chances, with their lousy products.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1141 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
What would you recommened for learning the moves & building a good routine? I'm currently learning some moves & adapting parts of routines from L&L World's Greatest. Any other DVD's or books?

Mark
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The one at http://www.stevensmagic.com give you a very good variety of ideas.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3642 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I find that no-matter what size rings or **p (I'm most comfortable with Ninja) it helps to round out the edges a little with a file. I have a steel flat file 1" by 1' so it can be awkward but they're really sweet after.

Ninja Rings come close so I just smoothed it out a little. I tried it on my bigger Rings and it was a very nice change. If you have cheap Rings you may have a chrome flaking problem but I guess I was lucky.

Make sure to secure everything, wrap the parts you wouldn't like scratched and wear gloves.

If my **p is to big it makes it hard to do a spin with my fingers from the top at the **p (my big rings are too heavy for this spin so far).
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-09-19 20:34, Mark Boody Illusionist wrote:
What would you recommened for learning the moves & building a good routine? I'm currently learning some moves & adapting parts of routines from L&L World's Greatest. Any other DVD's or books?

Mark

Chris Capehart's 3 ring routine DVD.
Cellini's 2 ring routine DVD.
Whit Haydn's Comedy 4 ring routine DVD.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Chinese rings advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL