The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gadabout Clink (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scody
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of scody
I am new to coins, and have chosen gadabout as my first real worker for my restaurant. I am pretty much using this straight from Bobo...

Does anybody else have a problem with the final vanish of all three coins?
The three coins going into the pocket seem to be talking too much, and, I am having a hard time putting them in so that they don't!!!

Anybody have any thoughts?
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
This might interest you or spark some ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pSWUxLYBZQ

Cheers and Mabuhay from Manila!

Rannie

PS Feel free to PM me should you need anything.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
If you carry keys in that pocket, there would be a clink every time. Then the clink would be ignored when it really counts.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8857 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Now Ben, that's smart. Smile Guess you could also just have other change in your pocket as well. I remember when I used to do this, I would take out a handful of change from my pocket to take out the quarters needed (and for the specs to unwittingly see) and dump the rest back into the pocket where the clinks would happen. Worked very well. The keys are a great way to do it too. Smile

Hey Rannie, love that video my friend. Great stuff! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
Sweet! I hadn't watched the video, yet. Thanks, MB!
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10800 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Welcome back Boss thought you became a gadabout coin LOL
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1676 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Another (standard) approach:

Don't do a complete vanish for the final phase. Instead, put just one coin in the hand and two in the pocket. The surprise is that the coins don't return, but change to something else.

Method: Bobo Switch one coin for any small object, such as a Hershey's Kiss. Because you now ostensibly place two coins in your pocket, clinking is fine (the specs can't tell the difference between the sound of two coins and three).

Bonus: If your finger ring appears in your hand for the finale, you now have a segue into any routine using a ring.

Cheers,
Jerry
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Gotta love those Manilabout coins!

Still my all time favorite version Hermano!

MMc
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Put a lot of quarters in your pocket. A guy recommended that to me long ago, and it works. (I suppose it doesn't have to be quarters).

I've never done this, but I've considered sewing a thin cloth bag around the quarters to make recovering the "items" easier.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4196 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Mike Gallo has an outstanding routine for this, on DVD. His finish is jaw dropping, and makes perfect sense. It is the best climax I have ever seen for this trick.
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS!
https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

Send inquiries to rubinsteindvm@aol.com

Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-09-10 23:24, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
Mike Gallo has an outstanding routine for this, on DVD. His finish is jaw dropping, and makes perfect sense. It is the best climax I have ever seen for this trick.

There is no need to, but I'd like to confirm Michael Rubinstein's statement according to which Mike Gallo has the nicest climax to Gadabout Coins.

Since Bruce Elliott, many people share the point of view that ending a trick with a vanish creates a frustration and a suspicion with the audience over the following props. Go for

Mike Gallo's approach and adapt it to make it somehow personal to you rather than just lavishly copying it.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
scody
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of scody
Thanks to EVERYBODY!
This has been very very useful... and confirms to me the power of this community.

Thanks everybody. I am going to have a look at the Mike Gallo dvd.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Very good ideas on this thread.

I use to worry about the clinking of coins in the pocket as well for routines such as this or hopping half routines that don't use shells etc.. As magicians we tend to over worry at times about things, and sounds that a layman wouldn't even question. Such as the jingle of other coins that maybe in the pockets keys etc...

Sometimes we do need to worry about things being quiet but other times it doesn't matter and we are the only ones that would even notice in the first place if something made noise when it really shouldn't.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
If anyone's interested in following up on Mike Gallo's Gadabout Coins ending, there is a "Gadabout Coins" by one Mike Gallo on Volume 8, titled "More" of the New York Coin Seminar series. I assume this is the routine Michael and Lawrence O are talking about. If not, I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct info. I'm off to watch this again.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
prototype
View Profile
Veteran user
Rick Holcombe
320 Posts

Profile of prototype
I'v had no problems using really soft Barbers. They sort of stick together because they're so smooth.
D Walker
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of D Walker
Quote:
On 2009-09-10 15:11, rannie wrote:
This might interest you or spark some ideas.

That's fantastic. Great routine.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
There's a pervious thread on this subject:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=3
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
See Fingertip Coins to Pocket on my DVD Coin Man Walking, I explain how to put the coins into your pocket silently.

Essentially, you take the stack of coins and press them against your leg with your fingers, and slide them to the bottom corner of your pocket.
Click to visit:
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of mrehula
I liked Gadabout Coins from Bobo until that click pass style ending. Then I read Galloway's book, Diverting Coin Magic, which contains a great version he calls British Gadabout Coins. Actually, it's mostly Bobo's version, but his work on the beginning and the ending are wonderful: clean, smooth, and elegant. (And easier for me, which is important.) THIS is the Gadabout Coins version I'm working on.

Of course, that doesn't address the 'talking' issue. I'll have to pull out my
Coin Man Walking again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gadabout Clink (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL