The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Teach me (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2950 Posts

Profile of fonda57
What do you say to someone, usually a casual aquantance like a co-worker, who says, "hey, that's cool. You're going to have to show me how to do some of that magic sometime." ?

I usually say, "yeah, right," and let it go at that. But sometimes people can be persistant, along the lines of, "my son would really like to do that." In a situation like that I refer them to the books we sell at the bookstore I work at, which would be like the Mark Wilson book or the Joshua Jay book, or Magic for Dummies.
I put this here because people at the store mostly see me doing coin stuff.
And I'm curious how others respond to such requests.
I j
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I simply tell them the truth. Any trick takes a massive amount of practice to do right. Usually people are much better off just enjoying the show. If they insist I refer them to books.
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
I usally say something like if I teach you then the magic will be lost forever. That feeling will disappear.
Usally that stops them from asking again. But sometimes it doesn't.......
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I just get a real evil look on my face, a creepy smile and ask: "Are you willing to sell your soul"?
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
"I cannot explain this specific trick because it's my own and every magicians is trying to get it from me..." (your magician's image gets enhanced) "...but if you want to learn magic and are prepared to spend the time, the efforts and the money to learn really it and be able to design your own effect, I'm prepared to write a letter of introduction for you to an outstanding magician who might make the time and accept really teaching you... and, believe me, you'll have the time of your life."

If, despite this gracious turning down, he insists, give him the name and phone number of a magician friend who can charge him for lesson where your friendly relationship would make this touchy, indicating that you need to speak to that magician first "otherwise he will not take you"... and make a deal with that magician for him to send the lift back with friends of his.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8857 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes this sort of thing happens to me a lot. Most times it is shortlived and just in the moment and the moments pass quickly and you never have to give away even one secret. Smile Many ways to avoid not telling something you're not going to tell anyway. Smile

But I tell'ya, I truly would like to teach someone how to do all this stuff. Not so much like a lecture or seminar but to sit down regularly with someone to teach them the finer points of what magic is all about, truly it is its own discipline.

I have often tried to interest and encourage my own sons in the art. They love watching it but don't have the desire to go further with it, at least not at this point and their friends typically think they are crazy not to want to know how to do this stuff. Smile Still I would truly enjoy teaching a serious student as I don't want to leave this world with not one secret. Magic is too great a power to keep to yourself. It truly is made to work best for others. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Sheesh guys, you all are to nice. If it is someone you know like a co-worker tell them that they are nuts and must be outside thier mind. =)
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2085 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I've had people ask me to explain how a trick worked and I've told them that I am a member of the IBM and have taken an oath not to disclose the secrets of magic.

Regards,
Steve
Shufton
View Profile
Veteran user
California
306 Posts

Profile of Shufton
I say, "I'd be happy to!"

Then, I fool them again with something very strong - like a mind reading trick.

If someone REALLY wants to learn, especially a friend's kid, I will, at a later time, teach them a very simple trick - like a string trick.

There is always the Blackstone line, "Any ten year old can do this with fifteen years of practice".
Fobulous, Emergency Cash, 3D Paradox, PS-I Love You, X-Ray, The Portal, Ultimate Floating Match, Miracle Premonition... and more!
http://www.shufton.com
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
UK, England (but Scottish by birth)
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
Hi MB,

My son wants to learn - so I let him read the books, practise, show me (until I'm happy it's OK) THEN (and only then) let him show his sister.

My daughter just want's a new trick every night (doesn't every want to know how).

So in my case I encourage the study for my son.

Friends are always asking - how did you do that - a smile and a wink is always enough to silence that.
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-09-11 08:58, Mb217 wrote:

But I tell'ya, I truly would like to teach someone how to do all this stuff. Not so much like a lecture or seminar but to sit down regularly with someone to teach them the finer points of what magic is all about, truly it is its own discipline.

I have often tried to interest and encourage my own sons in the art. They love watching it but don't have the desire to go further with it, at least not at this point and their friends typically think they are crazy not to want to know how to do this stuff. Smile Still I would truly enjoy teaching a serious student as I don't want to leave this world with not one secret. Magic is too great a power to keep to yourself. It truly is made to work best for others. Smile

I wish that I would live much nearer and be able to perfect sequences with you on the side to fine tune every details. I wish I could eat all the candies in the shop, halas...!
If anyone can eat the candies that you are offering, he'll be a lucky guy because he is in for a treat.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8857 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Ah yes, a wink and a smile work very well Kyf my friend, I use them quite often to punctuate a moment that need no words but is clearly understood. Smile And thanks Lawrence for the kinds words, much appreciated.

Funny thing though, Lawrence O must've willed this to happen, Smile as just a few moments ago a guy that works in my office who I've shown a bit of magic stopped by and clumsily was trying to ask me to teach him some stuff. He is regularly amazed by the simple things I show him and would like to learn to amaze his kids. I've directed him to some things already and briefly made him aware that what you see so cleanly done in a few seconds time took years to do so believably. That said, he still wanted to know more and asked about any time where I might be able to spare him the opportunity to learn more. Hmmmmmmmmm....Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Or you could tell them that it took you three years to learn that particular effect, and ask how much time they have to spend on it.

My approach is generally to point them toward Magic for Dummies. If they're willing to invest the time and money to get a copy and start studying, they might have a real interest; otherwise . . . .
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Usually, people will say something like "I'd give anything to be able to do that trick."

I usually answer, "Would you give three years of your life to do it?"

"No."

"I did."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Teach me (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL