The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What is this coin box? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MxJoKeR
View Profile
Regular user
Nowhere, Oklahoma
173 Posts

Profile of MxJoKeR
OK I just got my first coin box from a big bunch of tricks passed on to me from a very old magician but he's not in my state and it's hard to get in touch with him. I am familiar with the okito box but this one has a little extra something on the bottom of the box, (room for one) so I get the impression that it is a Boston/okito box because it has a lid. I can't find anything on it until I know the name because people keep secrets. So could somebody help?
Do or Do-Not, There is no try--Yoda
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Buy a copy (hardbound) of The New Modern Coin Magic. There's a section on coin boxes which includes the "German" box and the "Boston" box (a German box with a lid).

It's pretty much the same as an Okito box except that you can show it full when it's not. The downside is that it's not something you can give out for them to touch...
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Are you refering to the inside or outside of the box? If it is outside, it is a Boston box. If it is inside, it is a slot box.
Bernard Sim
B-MAN
View Profile
New user
Luxembourg
72 Posts

Profile of B-MAN
Lots of info on this typ of box + 4 to 5 others in " David Roths expert coin magic "

Hope this helps
" No matter what you accomplish in this life.... the size of your funeral will be determinded by the weather " Gizzard

G.B.T.S.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hello Mx...

You are robbing yourself of a great voyage of discovery by asking for knowlege instead of finding it. Much of what you are asking about is in books that are easily available. The economics of your education at this point is very simple: the benefit of your handling this step in your learning on your own is very large.

Do yourself a favor and start with the Bobo book: 'Modern Coin Magic' for coin work. You may then find yourself seeking the works of Downs, Sachs, Buckley, Roth... AND have the foundataion set to start building your own magic.

be well,

Jonathan Townsend
...to all the coins I've dropped here
uknavynigel
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of uknavynigel
Simple question simple answer.
Boston box, but I agree... get Bobo's Modern to learn more about it.
MxJoKeR
View Profile
Regular user
Nowhere, Oklahoma
173 Posts

Profile of MxJoKeR
Thanks for the simple answer. I hate it when people who are almighty think that they must abuse me for taking advantage of the internet to get a head start on my studies.
Do or Do-Not, There is no try--Yoda
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
JonTown was NOT abusive...he was instructive...learn the sources and find richer answers.

All who wonder are not lost (Tolken)
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2003-09-23 14:29, MxJoKeR wrote:
Thanks for the simple answer I hate it when people who are all mighty...

Good that you recognize Jonathans expertise, at least...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Am I the only magician who detests the idea of using an Okito box (for laymen)? I absolutely hate using unusual props so I use only everyday objects with just a few exceptions where the unusual nature of the props is logically motivated.

Speaking of motivation for using an Okito box, the only idea I've ever come across that appealed to me belongs to the Café's own Mike Powers, posted here -- http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......t=147621

Larry D.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Larry, long ago I used to make the box appear around the coins as a kind of 'shadow' object with special properties.

It took so much work to get a really flat black non reflective surface on the box(s). Was also fortunate to find wonderful THIN and SLIM box set where the boston aspect holds just a sliver of a coin.

I'm considering doing the bit again. Unfortunately, may have to rebuild the routine to reflect my more laid back body language these days. Still seems like a lot of work for a routine that goes by VERY quickly. One thing in its favor... turning the coins into 'snuff' registers well with laymen.

Truly a tough call. Perhaps in reverse it might play as a setup for a cylinder & coins bit. Makes a really nice replacement for the stack gimmick, and a coinbox does conveniently hold the coins when all in concealment.

Yes, that's right... nothing to do with entertaining real people, more of a techincal exercise. Will try to remember to ask the muses about this at next opportunity. So far they just like silver <--> white powder. No good context yet.
Geoff Latta
View Profile
Regular user
New York
158 Posts

Profile of Geoff Latta
MxJoKeR,

One used to want a Boston box before having one, not have one before wanting it. The net has changed all that. I'd guess that sentiment is what prompted the response you didn't care for.

On a practical note, it's a very, very useful adjunct to a coin box routine, but is meant to be rung in and out as needed, and never examined. A shuttle pass will do it. Check the sources mentioned.

Best,

Geoff
"There is a thin line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." --Oscar Levant
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
MxJoKeR,
There are a dozen (or perhaps two dozen) people who are doing the real and valuable thinking for all the rest who do coin magic. The others are just pretenders or wannabes.

Mr. Townsend, Mr. Chosse and Mr. Latta are three of those people. If any of them offer you advice, read what they have written again and again until you understand what has been offered and you'll be rewarded.

Jon wasn't abusing you. He was offering to teach you how to fish instead of simply feeding you a goldfish cracker...

Good luck
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Any of the coin boxes generally available should be must learn items if taking Magic 101.
While there may indeed be no logical way to explain such a device to your audience, the pure skill required to execute a believable routine is without question reason enough to learn the various handlings described in a variety of publications too numerous to list here. Smile

Additionally it should be noted that while the box does look out of place as it were, its novelty provides the ultimate misdirection as it leads your spectators away from the curtain which hides the Oz in all of us. Beware of dog... Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

JonTown, coins to snuff sounds like a great idea.

Concerning context, here's an idea off of the top of my head. State that you need a lot of energy to perform coin magic, open the box and show that it's filled with snuff, remove some and ingest it (or make believe you're ingesting it), put the top back on the box, place four coins in your hand, open your hand to reveal that the coins have turned into snuff, and then open the box to reveal the four half dollars inside.

Re. method, it would seem that a TT filled with snuff, a boston box, and a fake mound of snuff in the coin box with a little bit of real snuff on top might work. I don't want to reveal more in a public posting but maybe this would work for you?

Larry D.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
In order to experience the magic, do we need to know what the object is?

Or, do we need to know the PROPERTIES of that object?

Isn't magic, after all, defying the physical properties of something? And if the audience understands the properties of the object, won't they experience the magic when those properties are defied?

Are the linking rings somehow bad magic because no one other than magicians owns something like that? What about the cups and balls? (I know how Jon feels about this one.) While we're at it, who the heck carries around half dollars anymore?!?

I think, as long as the audience understands what the properties of the box are, they can and will appreciate the magic that results from it.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Jim,

For me, it's a matter of preference and a desire to minimize suspicion.

So for example, if I were to make a signed card appear in a sealed box, I'd prefer to use a box that laymen are familiar with, like a ring box, versus a box that's painted in Day-Glow colors with dragon decals affixed to its sides. Since both of them are boxes, people ostensibly would know the properties of both, but the "disco" box might arouse suspicion.

In very few instances I do use unusual-looking props, but as stated above, only when there's satisfactory motivation (in my mind anyway).

Regards, Larry D.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I don't think you need a major excuse to introduce a coin box.

Just say, "I have some valuable, antique coins in my collection, and for safe keeping I have them in this brass coin holder."

Do something with the coins first, then as an afterthought use the box.

But, as my main Mentor, Ken Brooke preached, "Don't get greedy with a principle. Use it sparingly."

I wouldn't do a lot of effects with the box. One or two killers.

Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

While I disapprove of the 'snuffing'...

a mound of 'woofle dust' in the box, sprinked occcasionally to make magic happen has some good possibilities. Some sprinkled back into the box might create the coins for the trick.

- might answer a few thematic and dramatic issues that way
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
(Trying to be helpful for a change):-)

As stated the box is far less suspicous when using old coins or a mix of new and overseas coins.

Keepsake boxes are not out of the ordinary or unusual at all. In fact the big difference is yours holds coins roughly the same size as the box.

As a magician you can and should posess things the ordinary person would not. It's even expected by many spectators.

Don't draw attention to the box. Just say: I have a few old coins and I keep em in here.

When using the Boston, follow the exact routine outlined in BoBo's and you won't have any problem. (apparently he tried several before putting the best one in print)

I have an Okito, Boston, Slot & small set. half size
I have the same set less the slot in quarter size.
I own the JO-PRO box and J.G. Thompson coinset. half size

The JO-Pro is the chop cup of coin boxes, if that helps.

In real life, I only use the Boston (seldom) and Jo-Pro set with the recomended routine with the card and One of my own with a C/S, and english penny/kennedy/M*****ic mix. Each one being just as strong as far as effect.

I never use Okito's turnover move(telegraphed dead givaway). I use my own and only once during the routine. every other mini miracle is caused by its own gaff which is taken out of play after use and ends with the box and a single real half that can be examined.

Finaly, do what you're going to do with the box and move on. Too many coins, cards, coin boxes, or anything else at one time is just cutting your own throat.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What is this coin box? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL