The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I want to be a gypsy...kinda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1304 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Hey lads,

Hows the craic? Wondering since my average weekdays I do feck all apart from rehearsing for weekend gigs Im thinking about doing readings.I have two systems in mind which I will combine and use.

Few months back I saw this old gypsay woman with a sign outside her caravan and she pretty much cleaned up (fair fecks!) Her caravan was in a good location and stood out.

Now I was thinking of going into hotel,hiring out a room and doing the readings there.Whats the best way to increase awareness.Obviously flyers,posters and that jazz helps..but what else would grab people's attention while advertising my services? Perhaps somthing in the lobby would be an idea?

Anyone have any idea's or experiences with this?

Cheers lads!

Slan

Pete
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I spent a fortnight in Savannah doing just that a couple of years ago. Not a bad way to spend a vacation. I did readings in the late afternoon and evenings (free readings in the lobby in the evenings with permission of the manager; private readings by appointment in the afternoons), leaving my mornings free to enjoy the city.
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
Pete:

When I was in your country a decade ago, I encountered a small caravaned woman with her Palm Reading sign out. She was parked in the town's small square. I went in just for a chat, being a palm reader myself, as I wanted to see what her situation was like.
She was an older, round woman who was cursing the 'Gardee,' as she said they kept taking her signs and smashing them up. Some sort of extreme method of expressing their distaste for her and her work.
We chatted for about ten minutes, when she said that obviously I was good at what I did. I asked how she knew that. She said, 'Well, you're here visiting me and I'm not in America visiting you!' HA!

As far as your marketing efforts, it sounds like you're doing all that I would do. The only other thing I can think of would be to have some lovely young woman walking around the couple blocks nearby handing out - with a grand smile! - some small flyers. Add just a couple sentences about the 'wonderful' card/palm reader available today at . . . .

The signs, I have always figured, should center around your FACE. Not more than a head and shoulders shot quite large. With just a single major sentence or phrase on it. Something you can see from across the room at least.
Your flyers should also have your photo on them, but should then expand on the brief information on your sign. WHAT you do. WHERE you are. WHAT it costs. How long it takes.
With this sort of approach, those who DO walk to your location will have already self-selected themselves, as they have all the info necessary to make the decision.
How wonderful it would be to then have that young lovely womans sister at your location to make the appointments and take the money from them! That way, the
GREAT PETE could focus on what he does best!
This, of course, means that you have two people to pay, feed and transport, too, so it's not without some drain on the end profit!
But so much better to have someone ELSE singing your praises for you. And having an efficient 'secretary' to work out the details makes you look SOOOO successful and professional!

What will your set up be like? Faint dreamy music in the background? Incense (not too much) in the corner? Slightly lowered lights with a candle or six?
Cut flowers on the table nearby? Well polished shoes. (And nails, depending on the local reactions to such a thing. I used to worry I'd be considered gay, but that's not so here.)
The subtext of your script - the part they never read nor do you voice - is that "I desperately want to make this person feel better when they leave than when they first sat down." Whatever you are strongly FEELING about your interactions with them WILL transmit through your voice, eyes, body language, etc. etc. So be sure that it's in line with your stated purpose! So you must fanatically FEEL this attitude from beginning to end. It WILL shape your interactions.

Then BE WHO YOU ARE! Don't play the mysterious guru, if you aren't one. If you're young and smiling and honest and the boy next door - then be so. Nothing causes discomfort more than someone trying hard to pretend to be someone else.
I, for example, am an old guy with white hair. I can play the grandfatherly, Hermit from the Major Arcana fairly well, so I DO!

Anyhow, I'm off to do readings today! Best of luck on your ventures! DO keep us informed of your adventures! It's just such feedback that we all learn from hearing.
brane
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I've often wished I had the neck to do that, as I love doing readings. I would put flyers up in the places where women hang out. That means hair-dressers, tanning studios, etc. Do a brief reading for one of the hairdressers and they will talk to everyone about it. That will get the word of mouth going.
Health stores are also good places to leave your fliers. Look for shops like Nature's Way.
The bigger psychic fairs tend to advertise in the new age publications. I don't know whether any of these have survived the recession. If they have, the prices for ads shouldn't be too high.
aukt
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of aukt
If you've the neck to write an expose on limerick gangsters I'd say doing a few readings would be no sweat!
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2141 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Pete legend give me 3000 pounds and I will fly to you and coach you for two full days
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
Most regions have some sort of free magazine/ newsprint sort of publication that lists all the local palm readers, pagan groups, tarot readers, hand waving therapists, meditators, food additive fanatics, alternative medicine folks, study groups based on whatever new age book has been popular over the past decade, massage people, yoga instructors, tai chi people, and so on.
There will also be a few articles in these pubs, written by locals in return for free advertising space.
It seems to me that the primary function of such an ad is to add a bit of validity and name recognition for whatever venture one is pursuing, as I've never heard anyone say that their ads actually pulled in much of a paying client return. (I know mine never did!)
But these magazines WILL have adverts on upcoming fairs, with contact information. See how much they want for 'table space' and see if you can earn enough to make it profitable.
Often the organizers will ask if anyone wishes to do a 15 or 20 minute lecture/ presentation during the fair. (It makes it seem a more valuable 'fair experience' for attendees!) Basically, you stand up and explain a bit about what you do - and how you do it. A sort of teaser for your services, with a bit of free information included. And a place to hand out more sales oriented flyers as well as some minimalist information.

These talks are attended by fair goers for free. They can be a way to explain to people who you are and to get them to 'know' you. I've found that this can be a way to get some clients if you're an unknown. Try and get an early lecture time slot, so you can then do readings for the rest of the day.
You'll very likely get some of those who saw you giving your talk. Once you have a few people sitting in line waiting for their turn, the rest of the day should work out fine.
As the carnival guy said, "Nothing draws a crowd like a crowd!"
brane
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2009-09-12 20:41, PsiDroid wrote:
Pete legend give me 3000 pounds and I will fly to you and coach you for two full days

Hey! Don't take his offer, Pete...

For 3000 pounds I WILL FLY to coach you for two days Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
But will you fly coach?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1304 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Hey lads,

Hows the form ? Smile

John Wells : Thanks for the tip! I always wanted to go to the southern states! Myself and the girlfriend hopefully (if save enough money) going travelling around the world next year..its round the world ticket,valid for a year.I don't think southern state on the list but I say I'll make it my buisness to go there anyways Smile

Brane : Your a legend! Thanks a million for your replies not only on this thread but on previous one I posted about readings too! Your eperience and knowledge is obvious and very much appreciated Smile My girlfriend said she would give me a hand no bother with it when she's not working herself.She would have no problems handing out flyers and having bit of craic with people who walk by! Smile Nice one for going into detail regards to type of posters and flyers,sound out!

Thanks for sharing subtext too,it sounds obvious but sometimes its the little things we need reminding on.I deff wont be playing the myseterious guru type Smile I couldn't pull it off if I tried Smile I'll look into the magazines around here though at the moment I honestly havent a notion about them! I too would think getting on them wouldnt necessarily increase business but I agree deff could help gain a bit of status amongst certain people!

Once again Brane thanks loads! Hope reading ya had this weekend went well! Smile I owe ya a more than a few pints for sharing your wisdom!

Tony : Cheers for the reply! Walking in hairdressers and doing a piece or reading for them is cool idea Smile It get them talking and spread the word,perfect place to target,get them talkingabout me...prob leave few flyers there too..couldnt hurt!

aukt : Who did what now? Smile

PsiDroid : I buy ya a pint and pleasure of my company..in return you can give me a grand and shur we call it evens Smile

Paolo : I'll buy you a few pints and we call it evens Smile

Gaddy : that's the deal breaker right there!

Thanks again lads! Im getting posters printed for stage gig..after get those I'll get some for the readings and work away from there!

Sound out!

Pete
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I want to be a gypsy...kinda (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL