The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » REVIEW: Dan Harlan's Red Rover (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I just got to see Dan again after a number of years, and he keeps coming up with good stuff.

Red Rover is a new take on old effect, made better.

Effect, The magician hands a deck to a spectator and asks him to deal off 20 cards counting as he deals them off. The rest of the deck is handed to another spectator to hold securely.

The magician then holds the cards facing the audience and has them confirm that the 20 cards are all different.

The magician then takes the packet and fairly counts 10 cards. These cards are then handed to the spectator. And the magician asks him to count the cards in his hand. THe magi shows how the cards are to be counted. The spectator then counts and counts 10.

The magican takes the other 10 cards and holding them in a wide fan, so they can be easily seen, asks another spectator far away from the first, to simply think of one of them. The spectator mentally notes one card.

The magician goes back to the spec holding the 10 cards and asks that spec to count the cards. They are counted and there are ten.

Now the magician "does magic" over the close fan of cards in his hands, and go back to the spec who mentally selected a card. He again displays the cards in a wide fan, and asks; Do you see your card?

The spectator does not see his card.

The magician now counts the cards into the palm of the hand of that spectator and there are only nine cards.

The magician then goes back to the spectator holding ten cards and asks him to again count his cards. There are now 11 cards.

The magican asks what the thought of, missing card was. And then asks the spectator holding the 11 cards to look to see if it is in his cards. It is!

The magician hands the packet of nine cards he is holding to a spectator and now all of the cards, the 20 dealt and the rest of deck are held by the spectators and examined and nothing is found.

This effect is produced and distributed by Murphy's Magic..

That is how it looks. And I was the spec who thought of a card. And it is absolutely a convincer! Dae I say, even a reputation maker? Yes! The effect is outstanding!

Overall Impact: A+
Ease of Handling: A
Instructions: A
Operating venue: Closeup to Stage
Value: A (Dont know the retail price yet, but anything less than $25 would be a bargain)

There are only two moves required and they are both trivial moves, and do not draw suspicion at all. They almost aren't even "moves" they are so natural and basic

You get a 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 instruction booklet with a bright 4 color cover, and 18 pages of excellent instructions, along with a page of alternate presentation ideas. And in addition some special something. Simple, but as with much of Dan's stuff, devilishly clever.

I was already a big Dan Harlan fan. But it wouldn't matter if uncle (pull my finger) Harry created this effect. It is a stunner. It is easy to do, and it plays big.
Over all rating A about as good as it gets.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2286 Posts

Profile of Logan
Hey BroDavid!

Out of curiosity, is the working similar to that of Red Sea Passover?

If not, how do they differ?

Take care,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
WIthout giving either one away, there are similarities. But Red Rover takes things a bit farther IMHO.

CAVEAT: I own Red See Passover and practiced it a bit when I got it a while back, but I never performed it. It just didn't feel right to me. But since I really didn't perform it, I never practiced enough to deal with subtlties and so my comparison may not be fair - one way or another.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I'll chime in here... about a week ago Dan came into the Castle and we asked him to do a couple of things for our friends. He did Red Rover and fried them and I even saw some startled looks from the magicians that were watching this impromptu display. It' s very good thinking on his part and accomplishes and outstanding mentally selected card across.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
What about Shinkansen by Phil goldstein ( Max Maven ). I hear this blow away Red Sea. Anyone know the effect?

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2286 Posts

Profile of Logan
Shinkansen is not a mentally thought of cards across.

It's a fast little trick but a good one as the spectator gets to deal the cards and such.

It isn't at all similar to both Red Rover and Red See Passover.

Take care,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » REVIEW: Dan Harlan's Red Rover (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL