The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » So I get this comment reply on my rentention pass... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
This is by far the worst most hurtful comment I've ever received. I really didn't think I was this bad at magic until I heard it from this guy...this was regarding my retention pass using sponge balls, which I think is good. I've edited out a lot of it because it was pretty harsh...how come people do this? Its sickening.

"dude a retention vanish is not a big deal my looks nice and natural. I'm not trying to b mean but your retention sucks ****. both your retentions suck you just don't have what it takes to be a magician every time you do a magic tricks everyone knows how its done you suck dude just quit don't waste your time you don't got what it takes **** you for sucking at magic bit**"

Here's the video in question...at the time (it was a long time ago) I was trying to do a rentention taught in a pretty bad video, Jay from penguin magic SPONGE...I now use gary darwin's method (Just squeeze and pull..its the most simple and effective retention) and sometimes the clip methods used in Ben Salinas sponge DVD..great stuff. Oh, here's the video in question...and after that video is a new video I made of gary darwin's vanish which I think is a lot better.

Here's the one the guy (and some other people) Commented on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vMK71QcR7o

Here's the new one, 2 years later , using gary darwins method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8IQHZmav5A
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Um... that's what he says when he's NOT trying to be mean?

Ignore this prick and those like him.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
KENNYRB
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of KENNYRB
Some people just don't get it. They make themselves feel better by attacking others. Magic, like most things in life, requires practice in order to perfect it. The moves can be learned if you put in the time. Just remember to always be honest with yourself, learn from others, and blow off the jerks. Keep at it.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I'm with Gaddy... life's too short to give those jerks any attention- your stuff looks good...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Your vanish is good. Don't worry about it. In a real setting it would be great.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's one thing to say that someone's work is unconvincing and quite another to then go bragging rather than offer the help that person might use to improve their work.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Just focus on your own growth in magic and enjoy every step you are taking in that magical journey. And ignore those 'jerks' who don't deserve your attention at all.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Your vanish is fine. Don't worry about this guy. He probably is not a magician. Besides, his grammar is what sucks. Smile
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I also don't think your retention vanish is bad at all. Just ignore the guy.
On another point though, I saw David Roth do a retention vanish with a coin 3 times in a row and I went "I know it has to be a retention vanish, he calls it a retention vanish and logically it should be a retention vanish, but it just looks surreal."
One of the best I have seen.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
In the second video, I noticed your confidence improving and the use of a feint. Good job!

I often let the idiots get to me as well. You should take down the old video, it's served it's purpose.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I would disable the "comments" section on YouTube (looks like you did on the second one).

The opinions here, really count. I like your Gary Darwin Vanish. Your practice time has been worth it, don't you think?

Now, working on presentation should be a breeze! Smile

Doug
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
Quote:
Oh, here's the video in question...and after that video is a new video I made of gary darwin's vanish which I think is a lot better.

All three are out of context... I would say, any of these three RV would work in a routine in real life, against normal people. The most recent shows a lot of progress.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I just looked at the offender's YouTube page. He doesn't post any videos, and his favorite videos include "How to roll the perfect blunt" and "The best Black Jokes I could find". I also noticed several negative comments from people he had offended, including one from you. He obviously isn't trying to help or make friends. I think you should delete your comment. Spending any time on him will only encourage his attention seeking.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
If you going to put yourself out there open for comments you have to be thicker skinned and ready for such comments. For me, if the comment is not constructive or helps it's simply ignored. I could care less what they say. It is natural for comments like that to bother you a bit, but you have to move on and keep improving.

Which you did...bravo.

As far as your two videos, I see some improvement from year one to year two, but it is in presentation that I see the improvement. Both videos are actually simliar in the actual retention that you do, but your second retention in your second video is pretty nice. Either way I think they are both fine.

My advise is this; From the second video, look at your first placement in the hand (which I thought was a retention) and get your retention to look like that.

Keep it up and remove the older video as it is no longer relevant to your progress or keep it in your personal records.

You might also want to consider performing to a live audience when your routine is complete.

Hope this helps.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Quote:
On 2009-09-13 02:36, abc wrote:
I also don't think your retention vanish is bad at all. Just ignore the guy.
On another point though, I saw David Roth do a retention vanish with a coin 3 times in a row and I went "I know it has to be a retention vanish, he calls it a retention vanish and logically it should be a retention vanish, but it just looks surreal."
One of the best I have seen.

I remember seeing him explain his retention with a coin as well, it's incredible. I can't imagine ever becoming that good..he obviously must practice it his entire life, often.
Rockabilly
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria, BC,
158 Posts

Profile of Rockabilly
The magic world is full of know it all laypeople. Your moves are fine, he's just a putz.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Quote:
On 2009-09-13 13:20, solrak29 wrote:

My advise is this; From the second video, look at your first placement in the hand (which I thought was a retention) and get your retention to look like that.

I agree with this, I thought it was a retention too!
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
There was a lot of improvement after two years. The first one had noticeable finger movement.

I agree with a previous post; I would disable the comments on Youtube.
Wes
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Consider the following: Perhaps the 'critic' was in fact jealous. Not one of the three examples was in fact 'bad' in any way. I thought personally the Noblezada version was the best, but is was a narrow thing.

You are doing very nicely. I'd give you gentle critique if I thought otherwise.

Note that there are people in this world that not only hate magic they hate themselves and pretty much everybody else. That animus comes out at the most unfortunate of times. Like pulling wings off flies, etc., their method of human interaction lacking honesty to begin with turns more corrosive as life passes them by.

What invalidates his comments is both their untruth AND the method of transmission. Think of it this way....if an obviously deranged person told you that Rolls Royce was a terrible car...would you believe them?

Best,
Brad Burt
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Double O Magic
Wow I actually liked that vanish!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » So I get this comment reply on my rentention pass... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL