The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » So I get this comment reply on my rentention pass... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Guys, I put up a new video that is more up to date. I used no jay retention vanish in there, but I did use gary darwins and ben salinas. Please tell me your honest feedback, what I need to improve on, finger movement, etc.

By the way, I understand the concept of where you put the ball in your hand (actually put it there) vs not, and try to replicate that. To me, I can't tell the difference right now. Maybe you can...I'm really open to all constructive criticisms to improve this, I'm just afraid its horrible or I may not have improved since last time.

Thank you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=268vIXfo2Qg
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Here's another video I just made showing all of those vanishes again, plus the jay noblezada one.

Thanks for looking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql2cdn2yrqM
adam wake
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of adam wake
Although I'm new to magic, I've been a long time fan and appreciater of the art and I have to say I was very impressed with your first video. You'll get better naturally, it's the enjoyable process which makes this all exciting and unpredictable.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Any one of those are better than necessary. You can get by with the vanish in Wilson's book if your misdirection is sound. In the first new video, I like the first one the best. In a routine, it's sometimes nice to ditch the ball before the vanish is revealed, so it might not always be practical. The Darwin looks rushed, and is more of a toss than a placement, which doesn't look right for a piece of sponge. In the last 2 your index finger curls in, then straightens to point. Why would it do that?

Are you practicing sitting in front of your web cam? It seems to me that unless you're disabled, that is a very unnatural way to perform. Get up. You also keep your hands tight against your body, which looks suspicious. Try to keep your hands up and forward. I'd like to see a routine, standing. Like I said your vanishes are more than adequate. If your not performing for people, start now. These little esoteric things are fun for the hobbiest, but completely insignificant to lay people. It's like a chef practicing chopping and mixing, without ever producing a meal for anyone. You will get better but you're good enough to start performing for friends.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Josh, I made this video real quick of me doing it standing up. Sorry about the no sound...there's something wrong with my computer/and or camera because sometimes the sound doesn't work on it, despite it being a top of the line camera the video quality is horrible. Not sure why...

A few notes. The first part is where I produce the ball, the other parts is where it slowly passes thru the pocket, the vanish with the purse frame is the slydni vanish, and the ending is from the sponge ball toolkit. The whole rountine though is from mark wilsons book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3xCmQcAOXs

As a side note, that performance was horrible. I couldn't get the camera angled right and flashed...ugh. The last vanish looked terrible too...I have other videos I've done but this one is terrible.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Very good! Slow down, eliminate unnecessary movements of your hands and body, make your hands more symmetrical at the very start. When pulling stuff out of the air, make your right hand look the same all 3 times. Relax your right hand after false transfers, it looks like you're holding something. When pretending to hold a ball, try moving your middle finger up closer to the base of the thumb. It will give your hand a rounder appearance (a Lawrence O. subtlety). Figure out a way to avoid adjusting the ball after putting down the purse frame. If the left fingers are holding it, why would they put it back into the right so it can put it back into the left? When placing the ball from left to right for "through the pocket", make less of a show of it. You're just transferring the ball from hand to hand, not doing anything magical. After the outside ball is in position, rub a second time with an obviously empty hand, as if you didn't rub enough. In "2 in the hand 1 in the pocket", hold the left hand in front and turn the right hand pocket slightly away. Minimize the importance of the ball going away. The important thing is that there are 2 in the hand. The second time they'll be watching to make sure that 3rd ball goes away. Work on getting the hand out of the pocket smoother the first time, it's just dropping a ball, too much digging around. Try getting it in position as the hand is in transit to the pocket. Notice the difference of the first time and the second time you put a ball away. It's hard to judge without your face and your words, but make sure in your mind you are following the position of the balls as known to the spectator. Great work so far. I know you'll keep at it.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
The Big Q
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
49 Posts

Profile of The Big Q
The guy is an idiot. I constantly do sponge ball (and sponge rabbit) magic - and even when I think I have totally stuffed up an RV, the punters never catch on... NEVER. We can get far too critical over the most minor things. Take it to the world! They'll love it!

Tony
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
To add, you obviously are very knowledgeable of your vanishes, routines, and have done your homework. I would say, with your last video; which was commented on perfectly, shows that you need to have better routining. It is easy with sponge balls to want to do everything because it's so neat; I know, I've been there.

Scale your routine down and practice that one routine a million times, then post back again for review (if you want). Then go out and perform it to real people or you will be here forever showing us all sorts of vanishes (thanks for lesson btw Smile ). Though its fun, you don't need to do them all in a routine. Pick your favorite or best and use it.

Here is an example to get you started:

Start out with your purse frame show its empty, produce one sponge. Produce a second sponge (either through purse frame or splitting the first sponge). Then
do a vanish and make two appear in the spectators hand. Then make three.

Short simple, sweet, and magical...but you won't know until you perform it to real
people.

Hope this helps.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-09-28 11:32, solrak29 wrote:
To add, you obviously are very knowledgeable of your vanishes, routines, and have done your homework. I would say, with your last video; which was commented on perfectly, shows that you need to have better routining. It is easy with sponge balls to want to do everything because it's so neat; I know, I've been there.

Scale your routine down and practice that one routine a million times, then post back again for review (if you want). Then go out and perform it to real people or you will be here forever showing us all sorts of vanishes (thanks for lesson btw Smile ). Though its fun, you don't need to do them all in a routine. Pick your favorite or best and use it.

Here is an example to get you started:

Start out with your purse frame show its empty, produce one sponge. Produce a second sponge (either through purse frame or splitting the first sponge). Then
do a vanish and make two appear in the spectators hand. Then make three.

Short simple, sweet, and magical...but you won't know until you perform it to real
people.

Hope this helps.

Well, the last video I posted didn't have any sound. I was actually talking while I was doing the rountine, but there's something wrong with my video card, camera, or my computer, as the quality is poor (despite buying a high end camera) and sometimes the sound turns off. It's a real pain. I wish I could have crisp video like other people.

And I wouldn't say I'm very knowledgeable about sponge sleights, I do ok. Unfortunately, my interest in magic has drained quite a bit, I just don't get that 'feeling' like a 'kid in a candy shop' when I go into a magic shop anymore. I don't get that feeling of amazement when I perform for people anymore. Now I'm practicing the watch steal but I just hate practicing it..my interest has focused to other hobbies. I still like to bring my sponges with me and perform for people.

I actually started out with sponge balls when I was a kid, maybe 11. I started a magic business with my dad and we would go to swap meets and I would perform there, the biggest seller? You guessed it, sponge balls. The kids loved it, but we found a problem. The kids who bought it didn't have the manuel dexterity and/or didn't want to put practice into it. I've been doing sponges for a long time, you'd think my vanishes would be a lot better, but I've been doing magic off and on for awhile now (with sponge magic).

I have performed for people in the past, often. Usually what I do (and obviously can't do this in the video) is produce 2 in their hand, using that as misdirection to grab another ball. Produce a ball from my pocket, put the '2' balls in their hand. Then put one in my hand and make the one ball travel to their hand, when they open they have 3 balls. From there I usually am one ahead so I do "2 in the hand, 1 in the pocket", and vanish at the end. I do sponge rabbits as well, those also get great reactions but I need to practice the final load on that better.

I hardly ever do coin magic in peformances, I make too many mistakes (even after practicing an effort for months) or, I don't have the coins on me.

One thing I am happy with is that I'm finally able to do the four coin roll down everytime. I use the split method, which Dan Watkins teaches on his site. It's a hard flourish and I love being able to do it now, I've always wanted to do it for a long time. It's a great accomplishment when you practice something for 4 months, and are finally able to do the flourish perfectly. In reality it took me over a few years (off and on) to get it down.
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Hey guys, I made this video because I can't seem to get past the finger movement. My right index finger moves as its taking away the ball, pushing the finger up slightly. I can't seem to do this retention vanish (jay's) without this happening. Is it just from lack of practice or is this always going to happen? I made a video about it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8qy2y-h_hA
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

So I just looked at Jay Noblezada's video sponge again. I actually had talked to him through email, until he eventually said he didn't have time to reply to them or help me anymore.

In his teaching video, because the index and thumb fingers retract, they pop out as they come back into position (after the vanish), I have to say my vanish and his look identical regarding finger movement. I was thinking, perhaps I can move this by after I do the vanish, instead of bringing the index finger back to its original position, to simply hold the ball (or palm it) after the vanish using the other fingers, like a finger palm. What do you think? I think my vanish is just as good as his. During practicing it, despite multiple videos he watched, he said it wasn't 'good' yet.
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
Wow, I have to say, looking at the latest video it certainly looks good to me. The finger movement you're talking about is almost totally imperceptible, and if you hadn't called notice to it, I would have never noticed it. I could barely detect it, and I was watching for it specifically.

The vanish is certainly good enough for laypeople, and suitable for part of a routine.

Keep up the good work!
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-10-02 15:48, Yekrats wrote:
Wow, I have to say, looking at the latest video it certainly looks good to me. The finger movement you're talking about is almost totally imperceptible, and if you hadn't called notice to it, I would have never noticed it. I could barely detect it, and I was watching for it specifically.

The vanish is certainly good enough for laypeople, and suitable for part of a routine.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks man, I'm going to continue to try improve it. I want to be able to fool other magicians with it, you know where I do the vanish (actually put the ball in the hand) and then do the vanish and have them not know the difference Smile
The Big Q
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
49 Posts

Profile of The Big Q
Slightly off the topic -

But why do you perform magic? I love to entertain (I actually do very little professional magic, but I am often on stage) and have never tried to 'out do' other performers...I've never seen the point. I have been very flattered when performing tricks for pros and have them be impressed - shocked - 'fooled' if you will, but I'd much prefer to see a delighted face of a child as they open there hand to find a bunch of sponge balls 'magically' appear there.

This is NOT meant to be a negative comment - I am simply intrigued as to why some people seem to be driven to fool other magicians...to my mind it sort of defeats the whole purpose of magic - to entertain.

As I've said before - I think your vanishes are fantastic. Now get out there and entertain people!
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Yes don't listen to the detractors. That's not to say don't listen to critics. Detractors just want to bring you down. Critics (at least good ones) make some sort of comment you should be able to learn from.

That guy making comments on your youtube page is just a dick, plain and simple.

I think your trick was very good. Can't see how it is down at all (from a novice point of view)
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-10-03 22:56, The Big Q wrote:
Slightly off the topic -

But why do you perform magic? I love to entertain (I actually do very little professional magic, but I am often on stage) and have never tried to 'out do' other performers...I've never seen the point. I have been very flattered when performing tricks for pros and have them be impressed - shocked - 'fooled' if you will, but I'd much prefer to see a delighted face of a child as they open there hand to find a bunch of sponge balls 'magically' appear there.

This is NOT meant to be a negative comment - I am simply intrigued as to why some people seem to be driven to fool other magicians...to my mind it sort of defeats the whole purpose of magic - to entertain.

As I've said before - I think your vanishes are fantastic. Now get out there and entertain people!

Just some people I envy alot. I wish I could be as good as say, FISM winner David Stone. Don't we all?

He's my favorite coin magician, he must've practiced at an early age...for winning it so young. I've been at the classic palm for 2 years and it's still not 'great', or anywhere near as good as his. I continue practicing it but wonder if he ever had problems with it.
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Hey guys just an update, the guy responded this comment to my profile (same guy):
yo as**** you left a comment on my channle I realy and really good magician classic palm lol I could do that for ever ago bobo coin book is the best and I got several spongeballs dvd I unsure you I am a really good magician I just like to go on youtube and talk about people its cool to me. I would not say I do it because I need to feel better I just do it because it makes me happy

----
How should I respond? Why doesn't this guy have any youtube videos of his magic? I wish I would've deleted my comment to him as I think now it was innpropriate but can't seem to.
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Quote:
On 2009-11-23 00:15, Strange Tasting Fish Sticks wrote:
Hey guys just an update, the guy responded this comment to my profile (same guy):
yo as**** you left a comment on my channle I realy and really good magician classic palm lol I could do that for ever ago bobo coin book is the best and I got several spongeballs dvd I unsure you I am a really good magician I just like to go on youtube and talk about people its cool to me. I would not say I do it because I need to feel better I just do it because it makes me happy

----
How should I respond? Why doesn't this guy have any youtube videos of his magic? I wish I would've deleted my comment to him as I think now it was innpropriate but can't seem to.

I'd respond, if at all, by asking him to translate his comment into English!

But really, why should you feel the need to dignify such an asyntactic word-salad with any sort of reply? I'd cut them some slack if it wasn't their native tongue, but I feel that isn't the case here. I imagine they not only lack the discipline to construct legible sentences, but also to master any kind of retention or vanish. Your videos look pretty good to me BTW.
piraino
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of piraino
It's a youtube troll... I wouldn't dignify it with a response. What's that old saying? "Never wrestle with a pig - you just get dirty and the pig enjoys it." Something like that. This cartoon also comes to mind: http://xkcd.com/386/ Smile
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Yeah, YouTube is absolutely notorious for being full of knobheads. Some of the comments I assume are written by real people, but I've read more coherent auto-generated spam emails! I never would have thought that there would be so many people who could actually fail the Turing test Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » So I get this comment reply on my rentention pass... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL