The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » I have another??? How much to Charge for Trade Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
I was asked today if I would like to do a Trade Show for 2 days. About 4 hours each day at this guys booth. I would have to get a hotel room and food because it is about 100 miles away from where I am at. It is in November. What I need to know is how much to charge him for the work. I have heard that you can make good money at Trade Shows.

I kind of like this, everything is coming my way at once. Now how MAGIC can that be? Smile

Thank you for your help, guys.
Penn & Teller "God Bless Them"
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Keven,

Before giving advice on setting a fee for a trade show it would be important to know more information.

For example, what type of company is it - local firm, medium sized, national or international? Who is your contact - are you talking with someone who has the authority to appove the funds or will they have to go higher up?

What kind of show is it - local, regional, national? How large of a show?

If is is a smaller, local show, I suggest that you start at around $400.00 - $500.00 per half day, plus hotel. You should not mis-represent yourself to this firm. Explain that you are new to working trade shows, but would love the opportunity to work with them.

If you can customze one routine with their logo - Ambitious Card, for example - it would impress them, but don't worry about going overboard with customization. You have too many thing to worry about, like representing them well and drawing people to the booth.

Make sure you have about ten minutes of great close-up and perhaps one or two routines that can be seen from a distance, in case your crowd grows larger.

Dress in a quality business suit, wear comfortable shoes, and have a few different tricks for the second day. There are several good books out on trade shows - I have a section in Volume Two of Success in Magic. You should read everything you can on the subject if you want to work trade shows.

Good luck.

Another question just popped into my mind. Ask your client if he or she has ever used a magician at a trade show before, and, if so, who?

This is a great question to ask before quoting a fee because it can reveal a lot about the client's expectations.

If you learn that they have used a top trade show worker for previous shows you can expect that they are used to spending more.
Of course, they are shopping around for someone less expensive.

Be careful about undercutting another professional, however. Be straight with the client and emphasize that you are not in the same league as someone they may have used in the past, but you will be happy to try to meet their needs. Lower their expectations, then over deliver and truly impress them.

I hope this helps.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
I don't know too much about the show as of yet. I am a barber, was cutting this guy's hair and he asked me if I did magic because it's well known at work that I do. He asked about a trick that he has been after for years I told him where to get it and I did some tricks for him after the hair cut.

He then told me he has his own company that builds bathtubs, and if I would like to do a Trade Show. I told him about how I could use his company's name in the show and such.
He liked the idea and asked me how much. I told him I was not too sure, but I said around 800.00$ He said, "Well I will be back to your chair and I'll ask you then if you still want to do it or not". So that was that.

I hope your books get here soon. I got them off your web site 2 or 3 nights ago. I have a very strong feeling that your books are going to make me great some day.

I also have met Dean Dill's wife & son. I wrote him and I asked him if I could come down and meet him, so he gave me his name &
number and told me to call him and stop down to see him sometime. The thing is, he's a barber/master magician. We both share the same lines of work, so maybe he can help me down the road to great magic.

Anyway, sorry for jumping off the subject.

Thank you for your Help Mr. Snack Smile
Penn & Teller "God Bless Them"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » I have another??? How much to Charge for Trade Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL