The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Spraycan with something sticky (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Servaas Koomen
Hi

I'm developing an effect, and I need something sticky that comes out of an spraycan that remains invisible when its dried up. and it cant be toxic since it sprays on my arm

ive tried hairspray, that was ok, but not good enough

any suggestions?

greetings Servaas
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
The bigger question is how easy is it going to be to remove or does it even NEED to be removed after the effect.

We use a spray rosin for aerial work to give us a better grip. Here's an example although there are a lot of choices.

http://www.midwaysports.com/ProductDetai......e=061027

This is really good but will build up after awhile and is tough to remove. That's why the exact application is necessary to recommend the best solution.
Ray Pierce
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Ive made a stencil with a card cut out, I put it over my arm, I spray it and let it dry

then I force a card, burn something, and rub the ashes over my arm so the card reveals. after that I wash my hands

ive tested it with hairspray already,it works good, but the contrast isn't good enough, not sticky enough (actually not al all, it remains white and the surroundings go colored, so with sticky stuff its the other way around I guess)
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
OK... the rosin spray should work fine for that application. I will say that dirt sticks to it when we're working so I'm sure anything else will as well. I would get some type of waterless cleaner like GOJO or something equivelent at hardware store or we also use adhesive remover such as this to remove the rosin.

http://www.ithacasports.com/crtare.html

Good luck with this!
Ray Pierce
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It sounds like Ray's suggestion is the best.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

I will let you know when I made it perfect
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
There are a number of makeup products that would probably work as well, fixatives and such that you could put in a pump sprayer.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
I would suggest doing it the traditional way with the traditional methods.

s
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-09-14 12:23, the Sponge wrote:
I would suggest doing it the traditional way with the traditional methods.

s

I likewise thought about the original method where the witch doctor secretly gets the animal dung and makes the paste with urine to secretly apply to the forearm, but I thought that with today's technology there might just be a better way.

It's great to study the past in order to grow and improve. There are also many cases where methods in the past are better for one reason or another. I always start with the traditional methodology then see if there is room for improvement.

On the other hand, most "improvements" for the linking rings I've seen in the last hundred years haven't done much for me, but I'm still looking!
Ray Pierce
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Your post confuses me.

I simply didn't understand how a stencil and some spray could be better than quickly "writing it on." Sounds like more work. Thus, my suggestion.

s
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-09-14 15:06, the Sponge wrote:
Your post confuses me.

I simply didn't understand how a stencil and some spray could be better than quickly "writing it on." Sounds like more work.

lol... I'm such an enigma,I know!

I think the goal of Servaas was to create a more elaborate and detailed impression.

It's a personal choice and not the object of my post. Since this is the "Workshop" area I was just trying to give him an answer to fulfill his technical needs without debating the merits or worth of the choice to create a new style of image vs. the old method of "drawing on the arm".

Is it more work? Absolutely! Is it worth it? Hopefully he will tell us when and if it comes to fruition.
Ray Pierce
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I'm watching this one as well. I used to do this with the wetted corner of a bar of soap. Please let us know how it turns out.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Its a hard to find the stuff in europe, no retailer carries it here.

thank god for ebay
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2009-09-15 09:17, servaas wrote:
Its a hard to find the stuff in europe, no retailer carries it here.

thank god for ebay

soap?

sorry couldn't resist.

s
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I PM'd you my suggestion.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-09-15 17:43, wmhegbli wrote:
I PM'd you my suggestion.

lol... Shoot! I should have thought of that... now EVERYONE will know what I think!

Man, I've got to be more clever when I say stuff outloud or people will learn something.
Ray Pierce
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Just got it in the mail.

ive anticipated so much that I'm scared to try haha, I let you guys know how it turns out
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
3M Adhesive 77 might be an option. It fits the description of what you said you're looking for.

JF
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
77 and others in the 3M lines are great but I'm not sure about it's continued use on human skin. Someone should look on a label and see if there are any concerns.
Ray Pierce
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Guys,

I present: "ashes from the darkside" by Servaas Koomen

ive got it locked down pretty tight.
the result with one cut out corner:

don't mind the stains, they where from other practise sessions.

ive got it working like a charm with the whole card also, and some pretty good ideas for additional effects.

send me a pm for the specific handling.

BIG thanks to Ray Pierce for showing me the ***** ****

greetings, Servaas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Spraycan with something sticky (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL