The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » Penn & Teller iPhone App Released! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Penn Jillette made an appearance at Tech Crunch 50 today to promote the release of the New P&T Magic iPhone App which he says was extensively beta tested by a Philadelphia exotic dancer before being released to the public. Read More & Watch a video interview with Penn HERE.
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Penn's Demo from Tech Crunch 50 has been added to the article. Watch it HERE
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
It does use your address book info as it sets up the effect. I just had to post this here as I knew that everyone reading it might get a chuckle, but here is what my screen looked like as I handed it to a friend to chat with Penn or Teller. ;-)
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Hip meets tech in a minor train wreck. The tech guys didn't get that this wasn't a pitch. I should note that a few of the pitches did experience MAJOR glitches and the panel was extremely understanding and flexible with the issues.
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
This thing is totally worth the $1.99 if you have an iphone! I've had a ton of fun with it!
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
It's a great idea. However, it's advertised as working with IPod Touch too, which it is not.

Hope they correct that. It would be a great app for the Touch too.

Gerry
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
I did it last night for the first time for someone I didn't know. It got a great reaction!

One of the corrections should be to include the intuitive text feature. It was very obvious to a friend with an iphone that something was amiss...

Definitely worth the $1.99 though!
dbuckalew
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of dbuckalew
Do they text your friend how it's done?

:)
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Quote:
On 2009-09-16 11:46, JTW wrote:
I did it last night for the first time for someone I didn't know. It got a great reaction!

One of the corrections should be to include the intuitive text feature. It was very obvious to a friend with an iphone that something was amiss...

Definitely worth the $1.99 though!

I too noticed what you are talking about and emailed P&T that feedback.. Otherwise.. AWESOME!
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Now that this is a muggle magic trick ...
http://www.pennandteller.com/app/
- anyone got a IR or bluetooth hijacker so you can override others when they are in use? I mean once you see a dufus using this in public why not send a video and hit play?

* for the slow...
Okay you got one.
So does the guy next to you.
And so does the person you are looking to impress - since they got it from their kid brother last week.
Now what?

* now here's what really happens when you don't have rapport and permission beforehand:
You do the trick.
She borrows the phone or uses her iphone to use an ap she knows
She waves it over your midsection
Then she says the scanner says there's just not enough reason to continue this but thanks anyway.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
I'm not a huge fan of iPhone magic tricks. This is one of the first that I've actually used more than once. I think that you may (as I do sometimes) over estimate the penetration of magic on the iphone (or any other APP for that matter.)

I've been doing magic in one form or another for almost 40 years. This is the only iPhone "Magic" app that I show anyone and it always gets a big reaction.

Three weeks from now... who knows...
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I like the idea and admire the design/implementation - just not that it's openly available. Notice the techies at the interview were puzzled by it's social utility and were looking for its economics. Trick of the week indeed. Maybe a free download for Wired and Maxim type magazine subscribers next month and a 'stocking stuffer' for xmas?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
I have no vested interest in this app. No one is paying me to talk about it. Typically, I find iPhone apps to be a waste of money. This is a rare exception. I've had more than 50 people do it with me in the last 2 day. Few were iPhone users, and yet... ta da! They all loved it! Without exception. Just my 2 cents worth!
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Dodd

As you have a line to P&T, maybe you could ask if and when this will be available on the Ipod Touch? I downloaded it to my Touch as per the app ad, but unfortunately it doesn't work on it.

Many thanks and BTW, just love Magic Newswire! I don't think you get enough credit and recognition for providing this great program. Long may it continue.

Best
Gerry
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Wonder why it doesn't work on the touch? I'll drop them a line.

Thanks BTW! Smile
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 11:55, magicnewswire wrote:
I'll drop them a line.

I hope you have better luck than I do, Dodd... every time I text them they just keep telling me that I picked the 3 of spades.
Ray Pierce
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18037 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 12:20, Ray Pierce wrote:
Quote:
I'll drop them a line.

I hope you have better luck than I do, Dodd... every time I text them they just keep telling me that I picked the 3 of spades.

Ultimate in FUNNY !!!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Thanks Dodd.

Gerry
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 12:20, Ray Pierce wrote:
Quote:
I'll drop them a line.

Ha!
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Dodd

Below is a reply I got from Apple. This will fix it for IPod Touch owners. It's a fabulous app.

Thanks for your help Dodd.
Best
Gerry

There is a known bug where if you have a contact / address book
record with blank First and Last name name the app crashes after
picking a card. This include records with just a company name, email
address or just a phone number. The way to fix it is to make sure none
of your contacts have blank values in the name fields. Sadly none of
the 50 beta testers ran into this issue during testing. There are no
other known issues with running this on an iPod Touch.

A fix has been submitted to the app store and is waiting for Apple's approval.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » Penn & Teller iPhone App Released! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL