The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » Penn & Teller Application (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Hey Guys!

Have you seen and heard about the Penn & Teller Application for the iPhone?

ExoMagic.com/blog says its the BEST MAGIC APP FOR THE iPHONE YET!

I bought it and I have to agree! This is an awesome app with LOTS of customizable options! Check it out!
I've been training these cards since they were small.
nikola paris
View Profile
New user
Paris
72 Posts

Profile of nikola paris
Wow ! Sounds great ! Thank you for info... Smile
The concept of Chat simulation is quite interesting, but on the blog they compare it to Chris Kenner app... I think these are two differents things and Kenner/T11's app is really really good !
Lloyd Barnes
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Lloyd Barnes
I have the app, but can't get it to work.

After I select a card, I go to the text app but there is no Penn or Teller there to text!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Lloyd
Creative & Project Development at Ellusionist

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Mine were there automatically. It's a very clever app, and I think it's cooler and more organic than the Chris Kenner app. I'm really digging it!
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5703 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
It doesn't really look like texting. It looks like exactly what it is, automated feed with no interraction. That isn't texting. Smile I expected more from P&T. They are icons of magic "hipness".
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I actually think it looks pretty real. I really like the fact it uses something ordinary already installed on your device, and not something out of the ordinary, like a virtual deck of cards. My philosophy is: why use a virtual deck when you can use a real one? This passes that test.
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5703 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
If someone wants to respond to one of the clever quips, what happens?
Bungee
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Bungee
Ripoff! Putting a wrapper on Kenner's app is pretty crappy if you ask me.
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Bungee, who's to say its a complete rip off? This one goes FURTHER than the Kenner application. Yes, it uses a similar form of choosing the cards, but this one allows for a easier selection with a slide feature and allows your to hide the choosing process with a custom screen.

Tom, the responses fall under time for realism. Around lunch time, you will get response about how they are out at lunch, or how they are busy with the show around show time.

The responses can be customized so that you know how to react to them, or they automated ones are pretty general. People usually text to "Penn" or "Teller" what you tell them anyways. Nothing crazy.

I think its an amazing app. Very real. Falls under the interface on your phone already, like jPrace said. Very natural. Only part hard to "believe" is that every magician will have Penn & Teller in their texting contacts. Haha
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
wowbound.com
2099 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Crossroads For Iphone
X-Ray Monicle
Tunnel Vision

3 new iphone apps coming NEXT week.

Cheers

Ben Harris
+ "Top 10" Best-Selling author at Lybrary.com
+ Proud sponsor "Genii Magazine's 75th Anniversary Convention"
+ Inventor of the world famous Floating Match
+ WOWBOUND.COM
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5703 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I'll repeat myself since it seemed to get lost in translation. What happens if your participant wants to text respond to one the clever P&T responses? EVERY use I have seen so far has been a one way feed of messages from P or T.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2113 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I downloaded this today. I do like it, and think that the texting seems far more natural than the deck in Kenner's app. I like the selection process in Kenner's more (nicer artwork) but like the customizability of P&T's app.

After Kenner's came out, I was thinking that I'd like something with the same selection process, but with the revelation coming in the email app. This is close enough.

I'll probably still perform Kenner's more often, as it doesn't seem quite as weird as saying "let me text my famous magic buddy.." I do get asked now and again if I know any famous magicians, and I have met several, so it's not a huge stretch (depending on the audience) that I might be able to text one of these guys.

It would be nice if you could just text "Dave" or some random name, as kind of an update to the classic wizard effect without the celebrity aspect.

Overall, a good app that works well. I'll use it as well as Kenner's, depending on the situation.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Quote:
On 2009-09-14 21:48, Tom Cutts wrote:
I'll repeat myself since it seemed to get lost in translation. What happens if your participant wants to text respond to one the clever P&T responses? EVERY use I have seen so far has been a one way feed of messages from P or T.

Sorry if I wasn't clear Tom. The app allows you to get "General" messages back from P&T. No you will not get a witty remark back if you ask them what is my shoe made from today? Unless you customize it to answer that question.

Or if you text them what are you doing today, they may reveal the card. There are over 100 responses you can get. But it is not a robot chatting with you. Its a program.

But this shouldn't be an issue. People won't go on a texting frenzy to your famous friends. Just audience management.

I really enjoy the app and the fact I can customize my selection screen (can't do that on Kenner's) and still feel the selection process is better. I will be using this app more than any other.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
I dislike how Penn & Teller expose the Modus operandi on their website and at a press conference. Also, the "home screen" wouldn't fool anyone remotely familiar with an iPhone (in my age group, this is everyone). I think I will pass..

The idea is great, but is Chris Kenner credited?
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5703 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2009-09-14 23:45, Seeker wrote:
No you will not get a witty remark back if you ask them what is my shoe made from today? Unless you customize it to answer that question.
Thanks but I didn't ask that. Smile
When they ask, "Are you thinking of your card?" (as in the T50 demo) a NORMAL texter would reply, wouldn't they. Or are we expecting people to stammer star struck and unable to text because a star is on the other end of this?
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1493 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
I could not find it in the store. Where is it?

Ron

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 7:56am
--------------------------------
Found it.

Ron
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1643 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Well, I've tested and used both the Rising card app and the Penn & Teller App. In the P&T App, Your correct in thinking that the menu they provide would not fool anyone. I much prefer the screen on Chris Kenners App. But, The P&T app allows you to change the background. So if you prefer Kenners background, take a screen shot with your phone and set kenners background as your own. Or, if you find it easy enough, just snapshot your real iPhone background and use that. What I thinks cool with the p&T app is everything looks so real. (besides the main screen which I've covered) The message section uses your own phone contacts so it seems real. Teller is just thrown into the middle. You don't have to set your contactsinto the app, it does it naturally for you. You can also enter your name into the app. When they message you back, they add yoru name occasionally. OR if you know your victem's name, enter their name into the app and teller will text their name. The message screen jus tlooks like your normal text screen. Its really very clever. There are lots more customisable things with the P&T app which is cool and they give aditional (More professional) tips for magicians, (Marked deck, peeks ect) However, I love them both and they are my two favourite IPhone app. Still rising up trumps is Kenners app. It's still the best in my opingion. However, Im loving P&T's app to. I highly recommend both.

I hope this has put some mind to rest,

Best,

Jamie Daws
THE DARK SERIES - DECEASED - SCREAM - HE'S NOT HERE - www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Quote:
On 2009-09-15 02:43, Tom Cutts wrote:
When they ask, "Are you thinking of your card?" (as in the T50 demo) a NORMAL texter would reply, wouldn't they. Or are we expecting people to stammer star struck and unable to text because a star is on the other end of this?

Yes Tom,
You can respond to them text you questions and not ruin the outcome.
There is a delay in the responses sent, allowing for response and not ruining anything.

Hope this answers questions.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5703 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Thank you. That was not shown in the demos and for me would be critical to it all seeming at least possibly real.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
I like the App a lot more now that I changed the home screen. Is there any way to edit the text message bot so it's a friend of mine that's writing back and not Penn or Teller?

Thanks.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » Penn & Teller Application (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL