The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Cardistry or XCM what word do I use? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Presari0
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Presari0
Hey everyone this question has probably boggled quite a few of people out there so I wanted to maybe clear up some of the mess and also ask of your opinions.

Now both words describe the exact same thing but you can ask any Cardist is what we do as an art really that "xtreme"? and we would answer promptly "Unless the cards are on fire or your covered in honey letting bees go all over you while you manipulate then uhm not so much."

Cardistry as a word is defined as the non-magical, artistic manipulation of playing cards. The term is meant to be used to bring in the new wave of card manipulation on a much more "realistic" level and separate itself from the magic world to stand on its own two feet as an entertaining art form.

Now in the few years I've been handling cards (five for magic, four for Cardistry) I have had the pristine privilege of watching the art grow from this small idea adored by small groups of people to the popular eye candy it is today. On a more personal level I much more prefer the term Cardistry then XCM to me it has a much more professional sound and makes me feel as if practicing manipulations for hours while I walk around town or hang out with friends really is worth the attention it has been receiving.

Magic and Cardistry... (and the heated discussion begins ugh)
Personally I find that the way I present my magic performing Cardistry in between effects is a huge payoff. I never try to fool my audience into a situation where they think I'm a god instead my effects are portrayed as a feat in which I will be showing you how fast a persons hands are compared to the laymens eyes. In almost every situation I've performed not once did I fail to achieve the coveted "HOW THE HECK!?!?!?" or the jaw dropped amazed silence treatment.

So for those who say Cardistry in magic is nothing but a fast track to a ruined performance I speak from experience people respond well to the hard work and practice of Cardistry I have never once heard "Someone has to much time on their hands." or "Someone definitely doesn't have or have ever had a girlfriend." (As a side note, I have a wonderful girlfriend who asks me to regularly perform for new people and is the reason I perform for her college on a regular basis.)

I hope that may clear up some issues people have been having either they are afraid to join the tons of communities because the criticism or if they are not so sure on how their magic will be effected by its presence.

Any other questions can be left below I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

(For those who think flourishing is the term it should be called and should always be called I've provided the quote below.)

"It is natural to be most comfortable calling the art what we have for the past few years. For many this is "card flourishes." However, the art has grown well beyond its original definition.

Our art has grown and is no longer just a subset of magic. The term "Card Flourishing" does not recognize this. "Flourish" is not just a magical term, but a word laymen use as well, and it's not an accurate meaning anymore.

The term Cardistry recognizes this evolution and serves to accurately show what it has become." -Richard Z (More info can be found on his blog according to these questions and more here is his link: http://more.cardistrz.com/cardistry_faq.php)

*That is in no way a means to get publicity just a means to finding more information on the subject.*

Thank you for your precious time and I hope I have influenced you in some way to accept Cardistry a tiny bit more or served as a means for some much needed information.
“Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes... just be an illusion.” - Ali Javan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Cardistry or XCM what word do I use? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL