We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 4 coins, no more (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-09-27 05:11, Christopher Williams wrote:... in this case, it is using 4 coins because I have no other choice

First, there's really no reason to get cornered by having the audience know what you actually have in advance. You could do a wonderful spellbound routine with lots of changes using real coins if that served. Why try to be clever in a box when the audience just wants to see magic?

I strongly suspect that a few polite inquires to the knowledgeable coin guys (include a pic of the coins you want to find) could get you started and maybe even the source of those coins you want.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8882 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey Chris, just reach out (PM) Doc Larry Barnowsky here on the Café, he's pretty knowledgeable about coins beyond just coin magic, with a particular interest as to Chinese coins, not to mention he's a really nice guy. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 16:54, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Given the choice between impressing myself by using just four coins or impressing an audience by using all sorts of gaffs... I'd disappoint myself for their sake. The magic is for them anyway.

Here's a thought. Aren't lay audiences impressed by whatever "good" magic we show them? Only magicians appreciate the extra clean displays of ULF or even 3 fly in general, as they then "know" we aren't using "other" methods.

A layperson will enjoy a standard closed hand coins across well presented using just four coins. ONLY if they have a chance to compare it to a "[shell" version will they be aware that one was "stronger" than another.

To recap Jon, how you do something doesn't matter to the spectator, just what they see.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Let's say you have four identical coins and want to do a cool assembly using the one-ahead and can't find a matching extra or gaffus...

Add a rock - say it's magnetic - and away you go.

Magic is one of the few places where it's okay to keep pulling out MacGuffins.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I don't know if it ever came out, but a couple of years ago, East Coast Magic shot footage of the magicians at the F.F.F.F. They released the first disc, but I don't think I saw the second one. On that one, I put a routine that uses the coins you;ve described. Basically, three half dollars are shown, and wrapped in a handkerchief. You then show the audience a chinese coin, which becomes a half dollar. This happens two more times, after which the coins in the hank are shown to be the chinese coins. If the video's not available, just read the versions of "Wildcoin" in the David Roth book, combine with a Gypsy Switch, (popularly explained by Michael Ammar in his coins through sheer scarf routine) shake and serve cold.

This is a nice bit of magic, and the hank's then available for the expansion into the assorted jumbo sizes, if you like. You might want to look up Fred Kaps' Chinese Coin trick in "Ken Brooke's Magic Place". For one excellent direction to head in.

Alternatively, or additionally, you can add three halves, and do a hand-to-hand transpo of the three pairs. I can't give you a good reference for this sort of routine done with ungaffed chinese coins. I had one in my first book, but I don't want to reference only stuff that's way OOP. I suppose you could use just three of the chinese coins and do one of the routines from Palms of Steel 2: Fists of Fury. Which I understand is now a Penguin download.

In the book "Spectacle" by Steven Minch, there's a David Roth effect in which three chinese coins are spaced along a chopstick (the stick going through their holes) and the cons sort of "levitate" on the stick. It's eerie, unique, and seldom-seen.

There's lots more out there, the question is really "what do you want to happen".
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
scody
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of scody
"Throw a wand into the mix and you've just quadrupled your options for productions and vanishes "

Hey VOC, or anybody... can you post some references on using coins with a wand?

I'd love some routines that specifically use them

Thanks!
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4457 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Thanks for the ideas guys, keep 'em coming! I am enjoying checking out some of these sources

Cheers
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
In Spectacle, David Roth has a routine called "limbo in China". While his routine uses six coins, it could be adapted to four. It done in the hands with a spectator. Your coins would need to have round holes. It also uses chop sticks.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I'm with Scody. If anyone has any references to coin stuff that uses a wand I'd love to know more.

Cheers,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Silver Passage by Gary Oulette.
Self concept is destiny..
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Quote:
On 2009-10-24 21:12, Roslyn wrote:
I'm with Scody. If anyone has any references to coin stuff that uses a wand I'd love to know more.

As mentioned above, "Talking Coins" by Dave Williamson, found on the 'Sleight of Dave' DVD.

Just using three of the coins, "Mr Clean Coins Across" by Jay Sankey is a possibility. After the transposition, make the last of the three vanish, then produce from under the spectator's watch (the fourth coin, loaded earlier).
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The number of coins used should be determined by many things.

Rules can be so simple that they simply get us into trouble.

I would do Miser's Dream with thousands of coins, if I had them. But then that is not a bar top trick.

Hopping Half and Scotch & Soda have their place too.

Our real emphasis should be on the audience and not the props.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Glen
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Glen
Charming Chinese Challenge, excellent, especially done with women, Roth's Coins Across. And from what I hear, Bob has millions of coins, all hidden in Mason jars and buried out on the lower 40 at the ranch.........luv ya Bob.....
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2009-11-06 14:28, Glen wrote:
Charming Chinese Challenge, excellent, especially done with women, Roth's Coins Across. And from what I hear, Bob has millions of coins, all hidden in Mason jars and buried out on the lower 40 at the ranch.........luv ya Bob.....

Glen,

I thought you really knew me. Where would I get a whole jar full of money? I'm looking forward to seeing you again. I need a loan.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 4 coins, no more (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL