The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Guru" by Jay Crowe -Inspired by an ancient technique used by monks called “Tum-mo” (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
wolfmaster
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of wolfmaster
You practice Tum mo? Sounds so cool! good luck with the graveyard thing though...

Can't wait to receive this!
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
WOW! that's an amazing story. Good luck on the graveyard thing. That sounds like a crazy night!

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2009-09-19 11:03, Nathan Kranzo wrote:

Already envisioned version where the object appears in the bag, penetrates visually, and then slowly melts through...

Imagine combining this with a dime and penny gimmick....

Possibilities are limited by your imagination!

Very good idea! Love it!!

Here is one more.

Magi show a cigarette - place it in a tube (the good old cigarette tube) - put the cap on - put the tube inside the bag - hand the bag to the spec - use your 'Tum-mo' power along with some additional extra powers - the tube melts thru the bag - spec remove the cap - finds something tucked inside the tube - pulls it out - waala, a nice little previously vanished black silk appears - the cigarette has vanished.

Don't know whether this can be done.

Just a thought! Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Just received a pre-release copy of Guru from Jay, first let me say I have only ever chatted briefly with Jay on the Café but have no further relationship than this. I DO respect Jay’s creativity and am a proud owner of Phork.

I must confess Guru had me intrigued when I first heard about it on the grapevine. It has the potential to create the suggestive elements of a metal bend or pk movement effect but IMHO the key difference is that it has more plausibility in plot. This can be somewhat of a conundrum as if you choose to present this as a ‘real’ ability and actually convince the people you show this to, their reactions may be quite mediocre even though they are quietly impressed with your ‘legitimate’ ability.

There is one thing beyond doubt – Guru does exactly what Jay says it does!! It is interesting to read some comments relating to the unnaturalness of using a plastic bag. I think these comments are more in response to the patter Jay provides than anything else as patter aside, there are so many GREAT ways to use Guru!

Personally, I do not think the plastic bag is a problem in the slightest if you frame the routine in the right context and give some thought to how the plastic bag is introduced. It would be ideal to make it appear to be ‘borrowed’ if possible. The important question to answer in your presentation is ‘Why introduce the bag?’ There are many plausible reasons you could choose from such as: to make the coin isolated, to keep the whole coin in full view, so you cannot touch the coin, etc. You could also put some small item/s in the bag and then staple a printed, folded over cardboard tag onto the top of the bag. The idea is to make it look like store bought ‘bagged’ item that has not been opened. A bag of chocolate coins could fit into the context nicely and make for an interesting and tasty experience.

One way to play ‘Guru’ might be to supposedly aim to make the coin bend but surprisingly, the bag melts instead or first. The coin then bends after is has melted through the bag. As the effect revolves around supposed ‘heat generation’ or ‘body function control’ and would sit well amongst a set of related effects in this genre such as pulse stopping, needle thru arm, razor balde eating, walking on hot coals, etc.

Whether you use the story given or more of an unspoken ‘Blainesque’ presentation the potential is there with Guru to create a particularly weird moment of strange. I think to build contrast the way I will perform it is do the melt in in single meaningful touch and not use a lot of finger movement etc. Bag perfect condition, apply finger pressure, fingers and gaze remain in stillness and then suddenly reveal the bag is badly disfigured and the coin has melted through.

One other ploy that would almost certainly this effect is contrast. For example, you might hand out 5 bags plus coins. Only yours melts so you have the contrasting effect of the melted bag against the 4 other unmelted ones. Or have a chosen marked coin and several unmarked ones. Everyone focuses 'heat energy' on the chosen marked coin and it is the only one to melt through. Or use several borrowed objects and only the ‘focus’ object melts through.

All in all Guru is a very worthwhile and fresh new release. Guru is certainly original and I feel a lot more enhancements and variations of the moment will emerge once it gets into creative hands. If you enjoy experimenting with fresh magical plots, Guru offers excellent value for the cost and is well worth exploring. Smile

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
DeeChristopherMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of DeeChristopherMagic
I've known Jay now for a fair few years, we've worked together on a variety of things and I've seen previous versions of what is now GURU during it's inception and development.

I think what Jay has done with this routine is GREAT. I'm very much a PK freak and this suits me to a Tee, I've been using it to step into a coin bend in their hands creating a GREAT multi-phase routine.

I know that some people have their doubts about the strength of the effect, but really, I've had no problems, the visual of the plastic melting around the coin is amazing, the demo's good, but it doesn't show that animation to it's full potential.

I love the idea's that people are coming up with on this thread though, it'll be GREAT when the book is released so that everyone can throw in ideas - I need to get more refills off Jay so I can try the cig one, LOVE IT! You could combine with that self lighting cig or pyrokinesis... BLING.

Nice work Jay, Can't wait to see what's next!!!

DC
The EPIC 5 hour billet masterclass is now LIVE!
http://the1914.com
Overdraft | Orphic | Shadow | Eclipse | The Art Of Stagecraft & Many more exclusive magic & mentalism products.
Jay Crowe
View Profile
Loyal user
Visual Artist
269 Posts

Profile of Jay Crowe
Hi guys,

Thanks for your interest and nice comments.

I'm glad you are having fun with your pre-release copies of Guru. I must say I'm loving all the ideas that you are having for it.

The possibilities are ENDLESS and will only be limited by your imagination.

I would also like to clarify again that the Tum-mo premisse is *only* a suggested presentation. You can use it in any way you like.

One of the few possibilites is what you see on the trailer:

You ask for a coin, you isolate it in a bag, you transfer your heat to it, (the spectator can feel it) and the coin melts through the bag. Did I mentioned that everything can be examined at ANY during the performance? Your spectators won't find ANYTHING. You are clean.

Jay
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Just received a pre-release copy of Guru from Jay and after seeing the demo video I asked myself is this magic? At first I didn't like the effect but after some thought this has it's place. This is GOOD!
I imagine me doing this not for a show because I don't sell the "I have powers" thing but you have times when you can do this for sure. For example doing bending metal at bars, etc and having this as a convincer for the heat on how to bend things.
Every effect done in an isolated way becomes a trick so we just need to fill the gap because every trick has them if not performed with some thinking on it.
If you stop for a while and think about GURU you will have plenty of ideas where and when to use it.
I will wait to test the gimmicks and see what I can come up with and when/where to use it.

Thanks Jay,
E
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
I guess the real question is....

What does the audience think? Besides Jay has anyone given this a shot for real people? To me that is where my thinking shifted. When I saw how it looked through the eyes of the audience.

Would love to hear any feedback people have got from it. Anyone perform it yet?

Jay informed me that there might just be some MORE demos coming soon!!!

Later,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I would be very careful about mentioning the Secret doctrines of the Awakened Ones. They have a whole host of Wrathful Protectors whose sole purpose is to see that the doctrines stay uncontaminated and pure. This magic trick has nothing to do with tummo .
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
LOL! : )

As said by an estranged member of the Blue Man Group. ; )

Hey guys check this out!!!

Jay just uploaded a KILLER video that shows some quick clips of him performing different variations of GURU.

Melt with your fingers? Melt with your mind? Its up to you!

These are NOT so much tum mo presentations. Just offbeat uses to show you this has SOOOOO many applications. The possibilities are endless.

Watch the new demo vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKrwpURSk4I

MELT WITH YOUR MIND!!!

Enjoy,

Kranzo

KranzoMagic.com
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
For those interested you can now get refill packs!

http://kranzomagic.myshopify.com/product......-fingers

Enjoy!

Kranzo

KranzoMagic.com
davidpeters
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of davidpeters
We just got in Guru. You can now order it from your favorite dealer world wide.
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
We've got a special offer for a GURU booklet PLUS a 50 REFILL PACK!!!

Over at Kranzo Magic...

Later,

Kranzo

KranzoMagic.com
thumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
Simi Valley, California
132 Posts

Profile of thumbtip
I RECEIVED Guru today. After playing around with it, I ordered the 50 refills right away. This has a lot of possibilities so that really made me happy. I like it.
"Life is a sexually transmitted, terminal condition" Normal is a setting on a dryer"
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Thumbtip thanks for posting!

Gurus are starting to arrive all over the world and people are emailing us so much great feedback. Its great to see they are falling in love with the concept. Lots of refill orders now!

Maybe we should sell a 100 pack?

500 pack? : )

Later,

Kranzo

KranzoMagic.com
tomacker
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of tomacker
I got mine this morning. The instructions are straight to the point, the patter is fabulous and inspiring, and the method, man oh man... the method brilliant! You have a winner Jay.
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
I know....

I used up half the gimmicks just playing around with the stuff by myself!!!!!!

Every magician I've shown it too has said this exact phrase. "cool....lemme see that?"

: )

Kranzo

KranzoMagic.com
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Ok, maybe I'm not getting the big picture... but putting a coin in a baggie and making it melt thru and dropping out into thier hands... seems like they may see it as "oh, the magician found a sneaky way to cut a hole in the bag"

Can this be applied to the point of where you can have the spectator hold a sheet of plastic wrap and place the coin on top the sheet and without any manipulation of the plastic right below the coin, will it work?

Otherwise, if you have to rub the spot as show in the video, to me it seems like just a way to tear a hole while making it look a little cleaner...

I was very disappointed by "The Game"... VERY disappointed... it was the equiv of having someone say "buy this new exciting way to stop bleeding whenever you cut yourself!!" and they send you a commonly used band aid for $99.99
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Mark Jones
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Mark Jones
I've been using it and I don't think that the spectators would say that. Everything can be examined at any point. They can be literally under your nose, and yeah they can be holding the bag and place the coin inside. You don't need to be holding it.

Mark
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Well I went ahead and ordered one for my shop - if I like it, maybe I will get a few to stock.

All this talk has me curious now just how clean it is. haha

I will post a review in a few days.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Guru" by Jay Crowe -Inspired by an ancient technique used by monks called “Tum-mo” (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL