The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » This sucks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I think needle through arm would have been a better hypothetical question. I suppose you could use a magical ice pick gimmick for block head.

What if a person took wine bottles, necks and bottoms included and walked on them. Is that less gaffed? Not sure where your hypothetical was going.

I have a man from the audience hold the handle of my sword while I hold the tip. He gets to push and pull and confirm it is a real sword or else people might want to believe it is fake. Then I swallow it.

While eating fire I have had friends that were sitting in the audience and heard two old ladies explaining to each other that I have a switch on the handle of the torch to turn it off. People will believe what they chose, I suppose.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 18:22, Rotten wrote:
While eating fire I have had friends that were sitting in the audience and heard two old ladies explaining to each other that I have a switch on the handle of the torch to turn it off. People will believe what they chose, I suppose.

You know, when I have the electric lady light the torch with her tongue, she is really pressing the ignition switch on the tip of the wick. We all know that even then it isn't real fire, it's that cold stuff. Hey! I just found out that they sell it at Target, but you've gotta know who to ask to get some.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 17:40, dpe666 wrote:
Ok, since the subject of "Gaffs" came up, let's discuss them. So far, I don't use gaffs, but I have always thought, "What the audience doesn't know won't hurt them." For example, the Sword Swallowing Illusion that sells for like $15. Now, I don't own one, but I have seen it performed, and it looks pretty darn real. And if the audience BELIEVES that it is real (a great trick in and of itself!), what difference does it make? Smile

What difference does it make? How about the false sense of safety that the belief of illusions lead? Take any of these acts discussed here so far. Are they dangerous? Yep. Could a kid go home and try what they saw on stage successfully without harm? No. So there IS a difference when using gaffs to subsitute true sideshow acts.

For the record, I have NEVER used any gaffing in my act. I would make it a point to let the audience know that everything I lift is seriously real and heavy. No sense in using an empty car battery or a baked dry cinder block to get in the Guinness World Records... oh wait, someone else did that already.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 16:11, jeremysweiss wrote:
Nips gaffs his...nips... I always thought he could pick stuff up because he trained them to do all sorts of stuff on their own accord--like fleas in a circus. Turns out, I was wrong--they have holes in them!

Higley doesn't gaff anything. He uses the real deal.

Todd uses lightbulbs by GE. Turns out they were made out of candy THE WHOLE TIME!

Zajicek is really a computer that automatically posts 85 message per day.

Ross uses a guy named Wayne--for what is unknown.

Harley has uses a gaff in his one-nail bed of nails. The nail is real, but his spine is fake. (Ha! Take that Melvin!)

Brett lies about his age (he is really 43!).

Kondini is wearing a baldcap.

Dr. Wilson is NOT A DOCTOR. (I think he has a PhD.)

JS3 is a gaff made by his parents.

Gwyd, Danny? I don't know about them, but I didn't want to leave them out.

Jeremy

And I'm not really me; I'm actually two guys who look exactly like me.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
That is very "Prestige" of you....
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 17:16, jeremysweiss wrote:
I have that VHS tape of Todd's. It is OOP. I hunted it down and asked Tood to autograph it and the look on his face of, "how on earth did you get that?!?!" was HILARIOUS.

It was made a long time ago when Todd was Brett's age.

I think you me and maybe two other guys who have taped over copies are the only people with these in our possesion Smile

Also the other post was one of the funniest things I've read in a loooong time. At least since Brett learned to walk
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Quote:
For example, the Sword Swallowing Illusion that sells for like $15. Now, I don't own one, but I have seen it performed, and it looks pretty darn real.

I understand you don't perform it and that you have no intention of doing it, but really I'll suggest one thing, check out some more sword swallowing if you think that looks real.
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Quote:
For example, the Sword Swallowing Illusion that sells for like $15. Now, I don't own one, but I have seen it performed, and it looks pretty darn real.

I understand you don't perform it and that you have no intention of doing it, but really I'll suggest one thing, check out some more sword swallowing if you think that looks real.
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
After meeting Harley back in 1999 my next step in learning about the sideshow world was Todd's video tape. I remember being in high school on the school bus when the ads came out in Magic Magazine. I thought it was the coolest thing, by that point I was already doing blockhead. I learned it after reading an article about Todd in Magic Magazine. (I did have a teacher for this) I learned the stunt with the plastic spikes for the Adam's spiked coin penetration.

Yesterday I was looking around in my bosses office for a prop he needed and I found a MUM magazine from March of 1998 with Todd on the cover. I borrowed the mag, I'll let you know how the article is. Smile

Fitz

P.S. It will be interesting to see what is on this DVD set...

Click here to view attached image.
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 16:11, jeremysweiss wrote:

Zajicek is really a computer that automatically posts 85 message per day.

Jeremy

If I told you once...I must have told you a Million times...Don't exaggerate!....The ONLY thing I exaggerate on ..is Banners....85?...I hardly ever posted the last 3 or so weeks...Why?...cause my exaggerated Banners are now Hittin the Motherlode.....Work before pleasure....(its that time of year when doin is more important than chit-chattin about it)....However, sooner than later I'll be playin a Blank....then at least 40 posts a day..will pass the time...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Was it mere coincidence it was you 666th post? Actually, to be accurate you only post 3.48 messages per day...but it is true you are really a computer?
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-09-26 14:57, jeremysweiss wrote:
Was it mere coincidence it was you 666th post? Actually, to be accurate you only post 3.48 messages per day...but it is true you are really a computer?

In reality..I am a Showman...(By my own Definition)...Sorta like you are a Doctor...Only No University teaches my Trade...(again, By my own Definition)...

I understand you live in Tampa?...I will be Home Nov. 11...Perhaps We should hook-up at Lauro's Italian joint and exchange notes...over good pasta and Beverage....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I didn't know Jeremy lives in Tampa. I live outside of Orlando, towards Lakeland. I don't get out much because of when I do go to work I travel so darn much and am gone more these days than I like. That being said, if I'm in town I would love to meet up with some of you guys. It would be crazy to have actually met a few of you after all these years.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Sounds Good....We will have a Central Florida Showmens Convention....
Evel Knievel

jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Actually, I live in Seattle now...but I grew up right outside Tampa
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
And I would have loved to meet up with you at Lauro's. Maybe when I get back there next...I'll by the first round
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » This sucks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL