The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dance Show (with a tiny bit of magic!) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
Hello all,

In addition to my passion for card magic, I also run a dance company. For the last year I have been choreographing and producing our first ever show, which is finally nearing completion. It is of course mostly a dance show, with some circus skills thrown in and a teensy bit of magic in the form of the appearing and dancing cane.

Anyway, for anyone that's interested in having a look, we have filmed a trailer for the show, which you can watch at my website http://www.dcowley.co.uk or on vimeo.com (where you'll also see some of my card magic videos).

Any feedback, questions or comments are welcomed Smile
Cheers,
David.
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged

I liked the video. It was well done.

I absolutely loathe the modern European fixation on hip hop. It seems so watered down. Black people in Harlem make moves and music, and since it's cool it attracts young American kids, and then European kids copy the American kids who are copying the black kids.

I have this nightmare that my son will want to start buying hip hop clothes in a year or two. *sigh*

My son took place in this event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN58Rq3ZeSk

Yeah, it's in German. Sorry. Basically it's about an attempt to set a world record for the largest number of kids performing a choreographed hip hop dance.

I didn't disown my son over it. He's only ten, after all.
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
Stoneunhinged, I get where you're coming from - I feel the same way about a lot of the hip hop scene! Most young people don't know anything about the history and origins of hip hop culture, what it means beyond the "aesthetics". I never really got serious about hip hop until I found out what it originally stood for, and since then the - very simple - philosophy of "peace, love, unity and having fun" has become what defines how I live my life - that and creativity!

Needless to say I do my best to pass these ideals on to my students, and that gets reflected in how we express ourselves on stage I hope. So maybe you can appreciate the positive aspects and the creative aspects a little more once you understand where I'm coming from Smile

Thanks for the feedback on the video!
David.
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Funny. I have the same gut reaction. But nobody complains when, say, Kathleen Battle sings Donizetti.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dance Show (with a tiny bit of magic!) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL