The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown - here in USA (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
For the record, no one is talking about him over here at all. No one cares, no media, nothing.

Interesting that his show didn't take off here either. Americans just have never heard of him. When he did get to do a show here it was on the SciFi channel instead of a major network. Strange. I wonder why he doesn't do well here.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Jim Callahan had the best explanation I've ever heard but he's not "In The House" right now Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Lack of intelligence on behalf of the American viewing public.

IMO, Derren is too deep for the average American intellect.

It's not the channel. Angel does very well here and he is on A&E. Just the fact that Angel does do very well, confirms my first 2 statements Smile
Estabrooks
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Estabrooks
How is Derren Brown doing in Australia and South Africa?

Is he big there or do the people there also lack the intellect to understand how great Derren Brown is?

I think you are on to something.. If Derren Brown is not popular somewhere it's the people who lack intelligence in that area..

I have the same problem myself. I'm not a famous mentalist anywhere on earth. It's obvious that I'm too deep for the intellect of humans.. Smile

Best wishes,
Estabrooks
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
No networks here in Australia have even given him a chance as far as I am aware
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
Is he big there or do the people there also lack the intellect to understand how great Derren Brown is?

I think if you take a step back (and perhaps a deep breath) you'll realise that only the british have the intelligence to appreciate Derren Brown.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Garrad
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Garrad
It took Derren quite a few years to break even in the UK. He was very underground for qiute some time. It's a long term assualt on all your countries.
You might say reality is the result of complex negotiations between the observer and the observed. But that is simply a point of view.

Many Thanks
Garrad
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
296 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
His first few series were broadcast here in South Africa on the SABC, the large national station. They have, however, landed themselves in a rather dire financial situation, so there have been no recent programmes broadcast.

The US, also, is not exactly famous for welcoming foreign artists etc., with open arms Smile
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I agree intellect plays a role. However, there is an intellectual audience in the U.S.; the key is finding them. Advertisers would love marketing to such an audience once a week (the intelligentsia have more money to spend). Discovery Channel viewers might love Derren Brown, though his show probably wouldn't fit well into a "facts only" program lineup like Discovery's.

The shows on Sci-Fi were mostly re-edits of episodes that aired on 4 in the UK. I spoke with a consultant for TV magicians a few weeks ago, and he remarked that the flow of the segments was different, and had been edited to resemble previously successful shows like those of David Blaine and Criss Angel. Producers are afraid to try anything new... buncha' scaredy cats. So they stick to their crappy, visionless little formulas. Then, when their formulas don't gather enough ratings, they say, "we already tried Derren Brown. He doesn't work over here." Strange they'd reject the successful format from the UK without even trying it. These executives have little imagination, and are enemies of creativity.

Reminds me of an actor who told me he'd been performing in a musical that required him to grow a beard. He saw a post for a TV audition looking for a leading man without facial hair, but he showed up to the audition anyway because his current obligation would end before shooting began, allowing him to shave in time. He walked in, handed his clean-shaven headshot to the casting agent, and she growled at him in her nasally voice, "we said NO BEARDS." He'd had a hard day, I guess, and lost his composure and said in a chastising tone, "I CAN SHAVE!" He didn't get the role. It's the same type of casting agent that says, "we'd love to use you, your audition was great, but you're brunette and we were really looking for a blonde." It doesn't take a Paul Mitchell to come up with a solution for that scenario. It does take someone with significantly little imagination to fail to see the obvious answer.

The same sort of fools say, "Derren Brown? Sci-Fi gave him a shot. He doesn't go over well with American viewers." You and I know differently. When Derren Brown finally ventures across the sea and performs on Broadway, he'll be hugely successful with audiences here. That will be the proof these fearful, stupid little power-brokers need to try another TV series in the States.

Sorry. I really shouldn't be so frustrated about it, especially on a Saturday morning. Don't get me started...

-Mike
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I think many are missing the boat here. Darren's lack of popularity here because of two reasons in my opinion. Plenty of Brits are on t.v. here, actually more than I've ever seen before. Hosts, judges, actors and actresses are all doing well here. I think Simon Cowell really had a lot to do with that, but their getting an image or sterotype of being short, dry, perhaps a bit harsh, and although I know it's English humor, it is I feel intrepted here as dry, and with "no sense of humor." Simon, Piers Morgam, the gal that hosted (Ann Robinson?) The Weakest Link game show, etc. The guy that hosted the U.S. version of Phenomenon was terrible, no personality and rather pompous. Traditionally they haven't done well with U.S. audiences.

Darren's not popular here because no one knows who he is. He comes off rather stuffy, cold, harsh and without a warm and fuzzy personality. America's are fools for warm and fuzzy, and comedy. He is about what he does, not about his personality. Often times here people are liked and famous for their personality first. Yes, I know that why we have the likes of Paris Hilton, Kato Kalein, Bozo The Clown, and so on. Look at Kreskin, yes he is amazing, but is personality comes across as likeable first.

Secondly, you have to think and follow to get what he's accomplishing. It's not a performance for all to just watch to be entertained. This could be why mentalism as a whole has played very difficult here in the U.S.

I think Darren's personality and his style of entertaining works against U.S. audiences. This combined with the factors mentalism itself is all working against him.

Now with all this said, I think someone like John Archer could be huge here in the U.S. as far as his personalty and entertainment style. Charming (warm & fuzzy), funny, entertaining, you don't have to think as much, etc. The only thing he has working against him, as with many Brits, is we find them hard to understand, and they would have to incorporate some of our style humor into their package.

Darren's intellect and style I don't feel makes him mass appeal here.

Just my two cents. Go ahead and blast me.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
Are you guys serious? Derren Brown too intellectual I don't think so. I have seen his show and I love it. Along with Blaine, Derren Brown is a huge influence on my own magic and presentation but too smart I don't think so maybe too pretentious. BTW that's not a slam against him or any other brittish person. I am sure the average american high school freshman could follow Derrens show and get every minute of it.
P3
practice practice perform.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Quote:
On 2009-09-19 10:52, Mike Ince wrote:
I agree intellect plays a role. However, there is an intellectual audience in the U.S.; the key is finding them. Advertisers would love marketing to such an audience once a week (the intelligentsia have more money to spend). Discovery Channel viewers might love Derren Brown, though his show probably wouldn't fit well into a "facts only" program lineup like Discovery's.

The shows on Sci-Fi were mostly re-edits of episodes that aired on 4 in the UK. I spoke with a consultant for TV magicians a few weeks ago, and he remarked that the flow of the segments was different, and had been edited to resemble previously successful shows like those of David Blaine and Criss Angel. Producers are afraid to try anything new... buncha' scaredy cats. So they stick to their crappy, visionless little formulas. Then, when their formulas don't gather enough ratings, they say, "we already tried Derren Brown. He doesn't work over here." Strange they'd reject the successful format from the UK without even trying it. These executives have little imagination, and are enemies of creativity.

Reminds me of an actor who told me he'd been performing in a musical that required him to grow a beard. He saw a post for a TV audition looking for a leading man without facial hair, but he showed up to the audition anyway because his current obligation would end before shooting began, allowing him to shave in time. He walked in, handed his clean-shaven headshot to the casting agent, and she growled at him in her nasally voice, "we said NO BEARDS." He'd had a hard day, I guess, and lost his composure and said in a chastising tone, "I CAN SHAVE!" He didn't get the role. It's the same type of casting agent that says, "we'd love to use you, your audition was great, but you're brunette and we were really looking for a blonde." It doesn't take a Paul Mitchell to come up with a solution for that scenario. It does take someone with significantly little imagination to fail to see the obvious answer.

The same sort of fools say, "Derren Brown? Sci-Fi gave him a shot. He doesn't go over well with American viewers." You and I know differently. When Derren Brown finally ventures across the sea and performs on Broadway, he'll be hugely successful with audiences here. That will be the proof these fearful, stupid little power-brokers need to try another TV series in the States.

Sorry. I really shouldn't be so frustrated about it, especially on a Saturday morning. Don't get me started...

-Mike

As an actor and filmmaker I 110% agree!!! People in hollywood don't know anything!
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Quote:
On 2009-09-19 12:05, Jonathan wrote:
As an actor and filmmaker I 110% agree!!! People in hollywood don't know anything!

Actors unite!
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Derren Brown isn't too intellectual. The reason he wasn't popular was because Syfy (that is their new logo) didn't market/advertise the show. The ONLY reason I knew he was even on the channel was because of the Café.

Criss Angel's shows are advertised like crazy and they even come up with some brilliant viral marketing from time to time. But there was nothing for Derren Brown other than a commercial or two.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
It's obvious that the good folks from the UK have a much higher IQ than us Americans Smile
The media tries to hide the fact and they are doing a fantastic job, since I can't seem to actually find any of those scientific research studies and results Smile
Guess I'm just too stupid ......
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
313 Posts

Profile of archini
Quote:
On 2009-09-19 11:27, Mindpro wrote:

Now with all this said, I think someone like John Archer could be huge here in the U.S. as far as his personalty and entertainment style. Charming (warm & fuzzy), funny, entertaining, you don't have to think as much, etc.

I couldn't possibly comment, modesty forbids.... But I agree. ;-)

Oh, and thanks.

John
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2009-09-19 13:58, Psychic Samurai wrote:
It's obvious that the good folks from the UK have a much higher IQ than us Americans Smile
The media tries to hide the fact and they are doing a fantastic job, since I can't seem to actually find any of those scientific research studies and results Smile
Guess I'm just too stupid ......

agreed...apart from the "guess I'm too stupid" comment...

I think its a matter of taste that's all, quite a few americans didn't go down well in their home country, but did in england...look at Hendrix as a quick example...

I think Derren is very "english", and, I would have thought would appeal to middle america...

however, sometimes, good things just don't take off and become popular...it happens with actors, bands, and even mentalists...

I think if he did a run of broadway or similar, word would get around more, and he'd create more of a buzz...but that would mean doing some (possibly) non-derren like predictions and things in the press to build up that prestige and buzz...
I've asked to be banned
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Thing is... In the UK, Mind Control was marketed as genuine and as 'science'. I'm sure most of us have seen the Simon Singh article alleging that he was magic dressed as science so to speak. It's worth remembering that in the mainstream press, Singh was somewhat alone in making that assertation.

There's no denying that Derren's initial marketing was an advantage to him in exposure terms (although one could argue the ethics of such an approach.)

Would he have been sucessful anyway? Probably. Just as sucessfull? Probably not.

Either way, that approach isn't possible in the states now for him.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
As my drunk friend always says ..
"Let's Face Facts!" .. ... being the number one mentalist in the UK is like being the number one mentalist in New York .... or Florida for that matter. The US is over ten times the size of the UK ... So what flys there may not get off the ground here (And I mean that in the nicest of ways Smile )
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2009-09-19 11:27, Mindpro wrote:
I think many are missing the boat here. Darren's lack of popularity here because of two reasons in my opinion.

Go ahead and blast me.

I don't think he's made a real push to become known here. I think one of those reasons is many still can't spell his first name correctly!

Quote:
On 2009-09-19 20:43, Psychic Samurai wrote:
As my drunk friend always says ..
"Let's Face Facts!" .. ... being the number one mentalist in the UK is like being the number one mentalist in New York .... or Florida for that matter. The US is over ten times the size of the UK ... So what flys there may not get off the ground here (And I mean that in the nicest of ways Smile )

However I think that is really the reason. David Nixon was never popular here, neither was Paul Daniels. Neither was Berglas. It has nothing to do with "intellect". Jeez.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown - here in USA (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL