The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stephen Tucker's 'Alpha To Omega' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Mr. Francis, I'm glad you're staying. I enjoy your posts and your comments about this DVD helped me decide to get it and I'm pleased I did. I may not have the chops to perform the trick, but I wasn't lied to or mislead.

As far as this DVD. I watched the Alpha Omega Demo and then the actual DVD. The demo wasn't cut and is exactly how it's performed. Mr.Tucker is an experienced magician and he palms cards in the trick. If you can palm, you can do this trick.

No fancy camera tricks, just a well done palm. Is there a move I missed?
~Joe
MrMcFlash
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of MrMcFlash
Hi Joe,

This effect is top class, but yes there is a move I repeat on the PROMO VID that is impossible and I am no the only person in the world to have this view.

I really hate to offend Cameron (really I do) but this brings back memories of the highly video edited effect named 'Glass Mirage', which again is fantastic but it can NOT be performed like the first trailor video (which was changed by demand).

What compelled me to insult you was that I saw it like this; A respected Café member misled me. Sorry but I am not going to be seen as the aggressor here, like I say I am sorry to insult you, I even thanked you for your advise at the time.

I should have mentioned that BBM is in my opinion the future of publishing, the DVD Alpha to Omega was fantastic, if you look back all I am crying about is the fact that some poor sod could be stung if pushed by the trailor video. That's all.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I admit as much as I love magic, I'm not a skilled person with card sleights. So, I should have watched the demo and been disappointed with the DVD and the explanation, but I wasn't. I didn't feel the demo was fixed and not exactly how it's performed.

Here's the clip. Using the clock, at what point is the alleged move done as I'm baffled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDdrtU1X3fc
~Joe
MrMcFlash
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of MrMcFlash
At 1:55, would you say he is adding p***** cards to the table, or would you say he is simply spreading cards that were always on the table?

Please, if anyone can p*** spread like this please help me!
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I expanded the screen and froze it and it does look like the cards are just spread.

I bought the DVD and just assumed that the demo had the move. But, that's how good the move is. It looks just like that. So, in real time for lay people, if you could palm, they'd never know ( which is why you need a good palm)

I bought the DVD and don't feel taken in. Maybe because that's how good the routine is. Also,I found out long after I was happy with the purchase.
~Joe
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6903 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Just went back and re-read my posts. Once again, I did not mislead you. I never said the "move" was not used. In fact, I pretty much said it was used. And I speculated about the demo. That's all. I was not there for the shooting or editing nor have I talked to Stephen or Owen about it. I am honestly stumped as to why you think I mislead you. You knew the move was used and so did I... So what's the issue?

You act as if I produced the dvd. I did not produce the dvd. I was not there.

And, yes, you are the aggressor when you imply my magic is bargain basement cr*p and claim I make money hyping this product (which I do not). You didn't have to go that far but you did. And that's low and in poor taste.
james_thecanadian_magician
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of james_thecanadian_magician
Sorry for butting in but I can't help myself. Aren't you contradicting yourself MrMcFlash. First you say you like the effect, and then you go on to accuse BBM of video editing. That's at least what I gathered from this.

Finally I don't understand how Cameron could line his pockets if this wasn't even his dvd.

Thanks very much,

James
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6903 Posts

Yes, he is making no sense. He saw the demo, knew that "the move" was used and yet somehow, after he buys the dvd, is upset with... I'm not even sure! Because he likes the effect. And then he claims that he's sorry for the person who is mislead by the video. Which I had nothing to do with and yet somehow I still get the blame... for making him buy a trick he likes... even though he knew what he was buying...

I am truly stumped as to why my recommendation for a trick he likes is somehow suspect and why he chose to insult me the way he did... My mind is seriously reeling from this experience.
patrick66
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
385 Posts

Profile of patrick66
I have the dvd as well and the move was certainly NOT used in the demo, you can see through his fingers. I do feel mislead about this but I am not angry about it.

Plain and simple little marketing tricks, that's all.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4857 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
In real life settings you normally do the effect ONCE - therefore its almost impossible to see anything (MOVES) or backtrack.

In a video trailer ON internet you need to "hide" things because people can watch the trailer over and over again. The biggest rule in magic - never show a trick TWICE!

With the proper handling of the routine the spectator will perceive the Effect for sure as in the trailer. I have done the actual routine many times and most people freaks out. If you buy a magic prop will you be angry if the prop not work by real magic?
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I didn't expand the demo when it first came out. If had, I would have seen that his hand was empty. After I got the DVD, I may have been angry about it. The way things played out, I was impressed with the method and the incredible thinking and thought put into the trick and I thought in the demo that the palm was perfect. lol.

I saw the demo the way a spectator would see the trick. I'm still glad I got the DVD because the trick is incredible. An absolute free choice of any ace and the cards are examinable. Pretty amazing. I still highly recommend the DVD.

But, now that this has come out, would anyone trust any demo by this company? Does it matter that they doctor up the demos?
~Joe
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1974 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2009-10-30 22:35, MrMcFlash wrote:
Puggo, I totally know where you are coming from. Yes I may appear OTT but please look at the promo vid on youtube ...

I understand the frustration at a misleading demo (I have not seen it/ do not know), but this is clearly a seperate issue. I would rather see a cut demo rather than a doctored demo (best still, a full demo, such as with Deep 3, or many of Cameron's products on his site..). I do however, acknowledge the problem of reverse engineering from demos.
The demo issue should be addressed to Owen Packard of BBM who posts now and then.

I hope you reconsider your comments towards Cameron, as they lack commercial logic (e.g. Cameron lines his pockets...) and were insulting. By the way, I am loathe to share this, but Larry Davidson's Scripted Insanity was in 'Pete's Picks' with a huge discount. This is without a doubt one of the finest DVD sets I have ever purchased. Pearl the Poodle... need I say more.

Again, with respect to all,

Charlie
MrMcFlash
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of MrMcFlash
Hi James,

I don't think I am contradicting myself let me simplyfy my point.

Love the trick, it's genious!

Don't like the fact that people could be misled!

Ok, I appologise to Cameron. I admit I was throwing a handbag at the wrong person.
The remark about your effects was just a 'snap', I am sorry!

As an appology I have just ordered 'Out of Order' to prove my insult was empty!

Sorry again for taking my frustration out on the wrong guy!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6903 Posts

Thank you. Hope you enjoy the effect. I've had a lot of fun with it.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
>Does it matter that they doctor up the demos?

Yes it does matter of course. Maybe the tone of voice MrMcFlash was a bit harsh, he is absolutely right. The big problem with purchasing magic is that you can't refund it (well, some do, but generally speaking). If a tv-set was sold in such a misleading way you could bring it back. Magic salesmen always get away with it. I have Omega, I like it, but not the way it was demonstrated.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
BBM should offer refunds to anyone that feels deceived?
~Joe
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26975 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-10-31 04:35, Kjellstrom wrote:
In real life settings you normally do the effect ONCE - therefore its almost impossible to see anything (MOVES) or backtrack....

In real life you get invited to show that item to another table full of people who got the buzz about you doing something worth watching - and so you better believe that within half an hour you will have some curious followers looking to see if you have (fill in layman crazy explanation of your choice here)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
>BBM should offer refunds to anyone that feels deceived?

Yep. But I'm afraid that is wishfull thinking. Magicseller always hide behind the argument that the real product they sell is not the prop but the secret. So, in that case there are no consumerrights anymore ?
Dove84
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Dove84
If a fair video of the effect can't be done then a video shouldn't be made. I'm more than a little sick of what some would term little marketing tricks. Deception should occur in the handling of a trick and not in the way it's sold to magicians.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
John Bannon's Duplicity has a moment that if they showed it,it would expose the trick. Instead of filming a bogus clip to 'trcik' Magicians into buying it, they left the part out.

Bannon did the right thing. BBM did a deceitful video. I will no linger support their products if I can't trust their demos.
~Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stephen Tucker's 'Alpha To Omega' (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.89 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL