The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stephen Tucker's 'Alpha To Omega' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Calvin826
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
To me, the downside of this effect is the routine itself. Specifically:

Why are the hands going behind the back? The whole "what was your card, I'll turn it around" phase is kinda weak.

Seems to me, as magicians, everyone is geeking out over the whole 'examinable' thing. Is it really that important?

In my opinion, B'wave is just as strong, and more direct. Twisted Sisters is even better- you're predicting 2 thought of cards instead of one, and there's a good reason behind everything you do. It's perfect.

Just my thoughts.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
784 Posts

Profile of dduane
I totally agree. There's too much handling of the cards, and no good reason (or at least confusing to the spec) for some of the moves in ATO. I like Twisted Sisters, and if you want examinable cards, do Duplicity. It also kills. Interesting, though, no one has yet wanted to examine the cards in Duplicity - which I've been doing for awhile now.

Just my opinion.
Duane
Mike Heitkamper
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Mike Heitkamper
When I first saw the demo I said, "This is a miracle! I have to buy it." Then I watched the demo again and realized that the trick had been edited. It went from a miracle to an O.K. trick because the effect itself is just o.k. Being able to accomplish the effect as was shown in the demo is what made it a miracle. After I realized that the demo was edited I said to myself, "I have plenty of o.k.tricks. I don't need to buy another." Then I saw Cameron's post that said, "There is no editing." Thinking that he was in the know the trick became a miracle again because it was done with p***ing, at least in the demo I watched it was done without p***ing. So I bought it. I am glad to see that McFlash apologized to Cameron becuse I do feel that he was out of line. I think I missed Cameron's apology to McFlash, telling him that he was mistaken about there being no editing.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I'm a big fan of Tucker's work this isn't one of them
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I have done this trick for magicians and many laymens - most people like this effect. IF you do this effect perfect and utterly flawless then yo have a miracle in your hands.

I think its very SILLY that people can say this effect is "weak" - but they have never done it in real life, very silly!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I never said the effect was silly if your were refering to me. I said I did not care for it
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Dead thread. Don't know if I should even bother with it.

I'm really torn with this effect. I loved the idea of an examinable "twisted sister" type effect. I hate that it all revolves around the selection of one out of four cards. I have no problems with the fumblings behind your back. I feel that it's all fairly justifiable in the patter. I do, however, find the method to be a bit too bold for my liking. While I wanted to like an examinable version of these classics, I'm not sure if the tradeoff is worth it. I'll stick to twisted sister which I still kill with. For some reason, my one card selection versions of this trick just don't kill (B'Wave and this one if I wasn't shelving it).
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Have you checked out John Bannon's Mega Wave? Totally examinable variation of this type of effect without the boldness of it,
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I have Stephen Tucker's 'Alpha To Omega'and have meet the man many times at the International Magic Convention in London ,he is a thrill to watch ,very clever thinking and very amusing ,check out TWISTED CONTINUUM,it rocks.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I watched the demo and it's incredible that ANY ace can be named by the audience. Steven Tucker is a very clever creator.

http://youtu.be/FDdrtU1X3fc?t=49s

However, John Bannon's Duplicity, I think, is a more impressive effect. And it is examinable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50ByS4iAWnI
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
I got this a heck of a long time ago when Stephen released it originally with written instructions and cards.

It was very good then(in fact excellent). A few years ago it was re-released by BigBlindMedia and made even better, as Stephen was on a DVD performing his creation & showing lots of variations .

Lots of people have released their variations Bannon,Francis etc & all are good.

Every trick in magic has a variation(rising card,torn & restored & on & on)It is really "horses for courses"

However, if Stephen was in front of you and performing this & you had not had the method explained to you, YOU WOULD BE FOOLED & YOU WOULD BUY IT!!

An excellent version by a great creator,performer who happens to be one of magics good guys.

Mike Donoghue
Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
Quote:
On 2013-11-14 00:58, Zombie Magic wrote:
I watched the demo and it's incredible that ANY ace can be named by the audience. Steven Tucker is a very clever creator.

http://youtu.be/FDdrtU1X3fc?t=49s

However, John Bannon's Duplicity, I think, is a more impressive effect. And it is examinable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50ByS4iAWnI

Both are great tricks, but to be fair, BOTH versions are examinable - Omega and Duplicity. Smile
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On 2013-11-14 00:12, Cameron Francis wrote:
Have you checked out John Bannon's Mega Wave? Totally examinable variation of this type of effect without the boldness of it,

This prompted purchase of Bullet Party. THANKS!
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On 2013-11-13 23:01, Robvs wrote:
Dead thread. Don't know if I should even bother with it.

While I wanted to like an examinable version of these classics, I'm not sure if the tradeoff is worth it.

Very glad you bumped the thread, great discussion.

Don't forget there are s*****ing wallets for examinablity and other simple maneuvers to take care of the issue. Going in to another effect while utilizing or seemingly to utilize the same cards is quite effective.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:

However, if Stephen was in front of you and performing this & you had not had the method explained to you, YOU WOULD BE FOOLED & YOU WOULD BUY IT!!

Mike Donoghue

Agreed. My concern, however, was that the effect requires great skill and/or confidence. It's gorgeous. No doubt. On my list of "things to practice" that will never actually make it to the real world- not when there's essentially self-working versions available (yes- I know they're not as gorgeous, but specs don't know the difference).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stephen Tucker's 'Alpha To Omega' (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL