The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » A World of Fake Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Just thought I would let all you coin guys know I am writing a series of articles for Magic Seen Magazine entitled 'A World of Fake Coins'. The latest issue of the magazine has the first article in which is a 6 page spread giving an overview of all the main coins gaffs available. Starting the next issue I shall be examining each coin gaff in depth and explaining a full unpublished routine with each gaff. The goal is to try and educate and inspire more magicians to perform coin magic.

If anyone has any ideas for future issues (i.e gaffs you would like me to look at) just let me know.

Thanks everyone

Craig
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Sounds like a great effort!
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Hi Craig: Sounds like a great idea. How do we access the magazine? Is this an online thing or more local to the UK? Thanks!

Doug Brewer
Meshuggina
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Meshuggina
I'll double Doug's question. I haven't seen this magazine before, but I'm definitely interested. I could have googled, but it would be good to have in this thread.

Mark
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Wonderful idea (not IMHO) - just look online and you can find downloads of card college - and now you want to put a primer on coin gaffs into the public all in one place? Why do you think I started typing e[ and [ and ~ and [~ rather than using names even on this BBS?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
It might be good to do interviews with the major coin gaffers like Schoolcraft, Lassen, Kueppers, Tango, etc. Gaffing is an interesting business and full of precision, just like coin magic. All these guys and there are many more out there I'm sure are craftsman really and could probably give you some real history on this stuff. I think a really well done book on this would be quite interesting and because it's such a behind the scenes craft and hobby I doubt if many people outside the fraternity would ever desire to read it, sorta like most people outside the magic fraternity don't read Bobo's I'd say, or Genii, or Magic, etc.

You might even do an article on sort of a brief dictionary on how to discuss coin gaffs the JT is talking to you, perhaps he could help with that language or code...Maybe even do an article on him about why he thinks you shouldn't do such articles, there's pros & cons to everything...Y'know, like should we have a Public Option in Health Care, should we not?

There are also guys that love specific gaffs and could give you some real working insight on them. There was a guy here that absolutely loved the Sun & Moon coin, Troy Hoosier is an absolute expert with the Flipper Coin, etc.

Also, I believe David Roth did something on Gaffed Coins, he's a top coin guy...Might be good to do an article on him.

And everyone and their mother has used a [ so you might get some assorted views on that classic gaff as well. I think in many ways these gaffs are works of art.

Perhaps an article on guys that do not use gaff coins. There are purist out there that don't think of using them much if at all. Might be a good take for an article showing the other side as to the use of sleights. Anyway good luck with it and do let us know when the articles come out. Smile -Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 17:21, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Wonderful idea (not IMHO) - just look online and you can find downloads of card college - and now you want to put a primer on coin gaffs into the public all in one place? Why do you think I started typing e[ and [ and ~ and [~ rather than using names even on this BBS?

With references to a 6 page spread, I had assumed this was a print publication. No?
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Sure sounds like a print publication to me. Even if it is online, I'm not that concerned about exposure. I respect protecting secrets, but I don't think the average Joe is looking for this stuff. I love the combination of gaffs and sleights. Craig, let us know how to obtain this!
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
939 Posts

Profile of andykean
Magic Scene is the UK version of Magic Magazine and is publised by Mark Leveridge.
It has a very British feel says the Brit living in New Zealand.Its very good!!
It can also be purchased as download also
regards
Andy
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hi guys.

This is the website

http://www.magicseen.co.uk/

It is a printed publication (Europe's biggest magic publication I believe). However it is also available as a download.

I am planning a lot of issues and I love the idea of having an interview with some of the famous coin gaffers. One thing I want to do is give people lots of information of where they can go to to learn more about a specific gaff. The idea is that these articles inspire people to perform more with coins especially fake coins.

I am in the middle of contacting lots of people about their views about particular fake coins in order to provide as much insight as possible.

Anyway, if anyone reads the article I would love to know what you think.

Thanks again guys.

Craig
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Looks like a very well produced magazine. Look forward to reading your article.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Thanks for all your input guys.

By the way in the next issue (due out any day now) I am focusing on the coin shell and explaining an unpublished routine of mine which uses it.

If anyone sees the article let me know what you think

Craig
MacIrish
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of MacIrish
Just downloaded the issue with your first article.

Great article on the various gimmicks and where to find routines using them.

I look forward to reading your next article!

Michael
manreb
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of manreb
I have just started to download the magazine. 10 MB and still going.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I've purchase a few issues of Magic Seen in the past. It's a well done magazine. Mark use to offer a deal on his web site for back issue.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magicman1947
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of magicman1947
Just a quick thought...I used to feel guilty using coin gaffs until I went to a Magic Convention (my 1st) in Portland Oregon USA. The pros and semi-pros there told me "don't worry about it." I'm an older guy with painful hands. As long as I can make people smile I'm OK with gaffs.
I really like Johnsons Silver,Copper,Brass as you can begin and end "clean"

Allen
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 23:15, Sammy J. wrote:
I love the combination of gaffs and sleights.
Sammy

Yea ME TOO!!! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
939 Posts

Profile of andykean
Great article
I enjoyed it
the download connects this kiwi-land brit to blighty nice!
I look forward to next issue!
Mithrandir
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island N.Y.
111 Posts

Profile of Mithrandir
Caught my attention , I just orded a year subscription .
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hi Guys,

If anyone read the routine in article 2 (East Meets West) I hope you enjoyed it!

In the third article (due out any day now) I have published my pet routine with a Slippery Sam. This is the routine I always use before I go into U3F. I think you guys should like it!

Thanks again for the feedback and all the emails, if anyone has any views on any of the articles just let me know

Craig
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » A World of Fake Coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL