The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » A World of Fake Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Do you wear a mask when you write this?
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying. Could you elaborate
Mithrandir
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island N.Y.
111 Posts

Profile of Mithrandir
Jazzy was making a joke like you were "The Masked Magician" .
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Just trying to figure out where the line is regarding revelation.
I don't think the facebook kids have a "need to know" on this subject.
-Charles Schulz
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
Is this really necessary? I mean, it is already 100% easier in this age to get the downlow on too many magic secrets. If you are genuinely interested in coin magic, aren't you going to go see for yourself what is available, or better yet...what you need?

C'mon, masked magician isn't far off actually, the whole thing seems rediculous to me. Anyone interested in coin magic should start out with some simple props that they get a lot of mileage from...and from there, depending on your interest level, it will all just come to you as it did to all of us. All the coin magicians I know know exactly what is out there. If this is aimed solely at someone that knows nothing about coin magic, let them do their time, I say.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
I can't see why there are so many people being negative about a magic magazine article. It's not like this is being published in a normal magazine. It's in Europe's largest magazine for magicians. The articles comprise of my personal routines with a variety of gaffs. So if you have a gimmick you feel you could be doing more with this will hopefully give you ideas.

Seriously why do people have a problem with this. The routines were going to originally released in an ebook but I decided to publish them in a magazine so more people would have access to the material. Is this such a bad thing?

Craig
Eric Johnson
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Eric Johnson
I have NO problem with this Craig.Personaly I think this is a refreshing change of pace from some of the same mindless articles I have read for the last 25 years in magic publications.While I have my own routines and effects that I use ,I can admitt to not being the most creative Magician around.When I get a chance to see someone elses ideas it can really get the old Creative juices flowing.Keep up the Great work to Craig!!!!!!Love my Mirage coin set.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
There was a time when their mere existence was not acknowledged.
Personally, I don't think the general public WANTS to know.
Those truly interested in the art will learn through study.
To post this information online for universal consumption seems contrary to the ethical codes of the magic community. A printed magazine with a defined number of paying subscribers is one thing. Internet publishing is mass communication.
Quite another matter.

How are the manufacturers reacting to your project?
-Charles Schulz
Rich Cupcake
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Rich Cupcake
Craig,
Im looking forward to reading the article. I'm a big fan of your work. Flipped Out and Attack of the Bag are such great resources. I've learned so much from those DVDs. You're a great teacher. Regarding your article... A subscription Magicians Magazine is an absolute fine place to publish such information. I have no idea why someone would have a problem with this. They shouldn't.
Keep up the good work, and have a wonderful Holiday Season!

-Rich
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Also when you purchase one of these products, you are also purchasing the performance rights to the trade secrets associated with the product.

Maybe I'm off the mark on this but we are entering a new generation of gaff technology, so it might have importance.

Perhaps someone who is fluent in intellectual property law like Bill Palmer could clarify this.
-Charles Schulz
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Craig,

I am a big fan. Love your Flipped out DVD. Keep doing whatever you feel is right.
Your creativity and imagination is enhancing the art of coin magic.

Cheers

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
supra97
View Profile
New user
nj
37 Posts

Profile of supra97
I just did a search (fake magic coins), thinking in layman's terms. Pages of tutorials, how to's, and sites selling gaffed coins came up. This is a magic forum and craig is talking about a magic magazine that you have to pay for. I would not be too worried about this exposure. Ive been doing magic off and on for twenty yrs, and all I had to do,to find out what a gaffed coin is,was to walk into a magic store, not knowing much at all and they sold me a E[. Which I'm glad they did cause I'm still using that same one till this day. imho
supra
P.S. Love flipped out craig
Mithrandir
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island N.Y.
111 Posts

Profile of Mithrandir
As far as I know , Craig has NOT "spoiled" anything on an open forum . You've got to pay for the magazine to read his articles .

Keep up the good work Craig .
manreb
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of manreb
All of you who believe that Mr. Petty is exposing and is the equivalent of the masked magician take note of the people on this site who are actually exposing in the game of the season. The gifts that are being give by Tim and Marion are in the regular section of this formum for anyone who is curious to see.

They should have been posted in the secret session section where you need 50 posts to gain access.

Jeff had the forsight and the desire not to expose.

Mr. Petty has provided valuable documentation through a recognized magic magazine that requires the curious to purchase the knowledge. This is the same for any secret published in Magic or Genii.

Get off his back, please. and ask those who expose accidentally to think about what they are doing.

Happy Holiday to all.

To avoid the comments about me, I appreciate Tim's and Marion's contribution to this forum and the help and knowledge that they have given to all of us. But I think that Jeff was tring to say in a nice way to all of us; place posts that expose in the secret session area and link it from here.
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
My question is this....what group is this "fake coins" literature aimed at?

Obviously, lay people are not going to stumble on this. Experienced, and semi-experienced coin workers will have no use for it, unless they use one of the routines you provide with the gaff. But the explanation of the gaffs...who needs that?

Newbies in coin magic would not find a link to this any faster than, or even as fast as discovering the gaffs on their own.

It seems. To me. Still don't get it. My original point. I'm not worried about someone seeing this that shouldn't, just that it is exposure with no purpose.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

As for your comments poly allow me to address them.

My lecture that I present is called Accessible Coin Magic and is designed to inspire more people to perform with coins. This series of articles continues along that theme. Since I started the articles I have had dozens of emails from magicians thanking me for convincing them to perform with coins.

I really don't want this to come out the wrong way but who are you to presume that a person will not get anything from these articles. Coin magic has been left out of magic magazines for too long and this is something I am trying to change. The routines I describe are real workers which I know people will use if they get the chance. and there are plenty of magicians out there who are experienced that do not know about the various gaffs available. Hence the reason we get so many questions on the Café on which gaff is best or which gaff a person should buy.

Having said all that if you really don't see the value in these articles the solution is simple don't read them.

Craig
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Craig- Are there any plans for publishing the articles as a collection?
manreb
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of manreb
Craig

Well said.
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
"Having said all that if you really don't see the value in these articles the solution is simple don't read them."

Sorry Craig, I didn't want this to become an argument and not trying to burst your bubble personally.

I think you answered my question about what target group you were aiming these articles at. It seems to be magicians, who are already magicians...but don't do coin magic. And your articles are now inspiring dozens of magicians to pick up coin magic, and coin gaffs. Ok, so that is a good thing. I would have never thought this scenario rational, but you say it is and I believe you that you are getting positive feedback from this group.

I can't pick up a magic publication anywhere and not see at least one coin trick in that issue. Maybe things are different in Europe. Good luck and success with your endeavors.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2429 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On 2009-12-07 15:53, Craig Petty wrote:
Hi Guys,

If anyone read the routine in article 2 (East Meets West) I hope you enjoyed it!

In the third article (due out any day now) I have published my pet routine with a Slippery Sam. This is the routine I always use before I go into U3F. I think you guys should like it!

Thanks again for the feedback and all the emails, if anyone has any views on any of the articles just let me know

Craig

Could anyone care to point me out in which issue I can find craig's routine using the slippery sam? It seems obvious to you folks but I'm sorry I didn't manage to figure that out and there doesn't seem to be an index of the effects on the website (or I didn't find it)...

Thanks for any help!
(I already PM'd Craig about 2 weeks ago and although he read my message he probably didn't have the time to answer...)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » A World of Fake Coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL