The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Have a Interview (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

Profile of William Wortman
I just got an interview at a restaurant (Gaotr's Dockside for FL magicians) and they want to see what I have. Any suggestions about what to show and what to talk about? It is not till Friday so I am going to reread Jim Sisti book and Jim Pace book on restaurants.
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I hate interview situations like that. You don't have the energy from the table tap into. I always try to do magic for an hour for free in order to show what I do and how I fit in the flow of the restaurant. In cases like this I just hit them with my best stuff and smile. Good luck!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
William,

As I have said before, I would really refrain from trying to perform for the GM in a situation like this. If they want to see what you're able to do, then they can watch you when you offer your free night. That way, they can not only see your talents, but they can also watch the guests reactions.

You may show them something 1 on 1 that may not impress them...but their opinion doesn't really matter...it's the guests impression that counts.

If they INSIST on seeing something...keep it short and sweet. Something that takes less than a minute to pull off and is highly visual. Some ideas (IF YOU MUST) would be:

1. Pick 2 differnt cards. Control both to top. Spring one from the deck and CATCH IT (do not drop it). Then do your favorite color change.

2. Ring Flight.

These two ideas would take all of about 30 seconds at most. Again...keep it visual and quick.

GOOD LUCK!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

Thanks, I will be either doing it for the GM or for a table. I will suggest a table. Bu if I have to do 1-on-1 I think I might do my eclipse wallet routine.
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
If you do only get the opportunity to perform for the GM pull out all of the stops and blow him/her away! But, like Christopher mentioned, he (or she)really needs to see what you can do FOR them. It's all about the guest reactions to your magic. Good luck and please let us know how it goes.
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Good luck buddy...!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
Let us know how it goes! Which Gators are you at btw? I live out by UCF, and would love to see you work!
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
How about a color change
the card that changes will be a blank card with the words
" Welcome to Gators... we hope to entertain you this evening."
Make it seem as if you are just making this up for the GM.
That is if you must do something for the GM.
You will want to impress them, he or she by adding the name of your restaurant when ever possible... They are kind of quirky that way
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Great info, Jim.
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I agree with Jim too. Sometimes tricks may not impress the GM but if the objects used advertises the restaurant, the GM may see things differently.
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

Thanks Jim, I might do that. Maybe Steve Dacri's Signature Wild Card. I'll go look around to see what I can find

And I like to say great lecture you did in Orlando Jim, and I can't wait to read you book that I just got.
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Let us know what you did please...
never mind that just say if you got the gig.

Jim
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Gator's in TI????

Wow that will be a hellva drive!!

If it is you could catch Jim Pace's lecture again on the Thursday nite before in Largo @ the Largo Cultural Center. Check out http://tampabaymagicclub.com/ScheduleTBMC.html

Hey Jim call me!!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

I will do both, just for other people who might have the same problem. Also I can write it down and have it on my computer for reference. But I will tell how it went too.

Also I might post something tomorrow or Thursday, on what trick I plan to do, for feedback.

Thanks again for your advise. I will keep checking for more advise.

William
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

For all who care I think that I will do Chris Kenner's 5-speed if the GM want to see a trick 1-on-1 with the end of the trick be a blank face card say "Welcome to Gators... we hope to entertain you this evening." or something like that.

Here is a link to a video of 5-speed for those who don't know it.

http://www.theory11.com/1on1/#artist:4/p......video:42

Also it will be the Gator's at Winter Springs.
dedikc
View Profile
Veteran user
France (Lyon)
340 Posts

Profile of dedikc
I thonk you have to do a quick trick, easy to follow.
5-Speed is a multi step routine.

My favorite trick for this situation is a Bill switch. It's quick and its not a card trick.

For this situation I don't recommend a card trick. A coin trick is good, a bill trick, or a ring trick.... It seems that you are not prepared.

When is your interview?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Have a Interview (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL