We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New Steinmeyer book - Technique and Understanding » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
I am refusing to let this topic die because I am way to excited for Jim's first large book of new material

(Device and Illusion was not nearly this size. Conjuring Anthology was mostly compiled from Magic Mag, Wakeling book was Wakeling material, same with Jarrett, and Invisibility lectures was a combination of recreating other people's stuff and historic information and evolution)

It should be interesting to see how the 3 inch base described in the copy will influence illusions from here on out. I have a feeling the bevel base will have to make way perhaps?

J
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
On 2009-09-27 13:12, James FX wrote:
So if I were to purchase only one more Steinmeyer book, which one of these would you recommend as the “must have”?

Art & Artifice (got Frank's vote already!)
Modern Art and Other Mysteries
The Complete Jarrett
The Conjuring Anthology
The Magic of Alan Wakeling

That is a tough one! Art and Artifice is brilliant, great stuff about mirrors there...but Jarrett, definately. It is often referred to as "must have" for illusionists/designers/builders.
Sent from my Typewriter
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Quote:
On 2009-09-27 13:12, James FX wrote:
Over the years I have compiled a “wish list” saved to my Desktop of all the illusion books I would like to own. There are MANY, and I blame Dennis here for causing me to add to my already large list when I came across his 2004 post "Incomplete List of Illusion Books", thanks Dennis! lol I have purchased several titles previously suggested here in Grand Illusions (all good material!), but I think it’s time for me to begin thinning down my library list of “wants” to a more modest shelf of “must haves”.

Of Steinmeyer’s books, I currently own Device and Illusion, Hiding the Elephant, and I just ordered Technique and Understanding. So if I were to purchase only one more Steinmeyer book, which one of these would you recommend as the “must have”?

Art & Artifice (got Frank's vote already!)
Modern Art and Other Mysteries
The Complete Jarrett
The Conjuring Anthology
The Magic of Alan Wakeling

I would have to say The Magic of Alan Wakeling or The Conjuring Anthology. Both have amazing material and stories. They have served me well and I can say I have performed effects from both in my stage show. Brilliant books!

If I could only choose one? Probably Wakeling Book.

J
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I suppose if I were to recommend just one from your list I would concur with the Wakeling book. It is quite comprehensive and there is an awful lot to be gained from it.

But at the end of the day, they're really all must-haves! I think the question might need to be amended to "which one should I get first?"
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1390 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Without a doubt, The Complete Jarrett.
It's all in the reflexes.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
I've got three of Jim Steinmeyer's books :

- The complete Jarrett
- Device & Illusions
- The Magic of Alan Wakeling

To me it was very difficult to enter "The complete Jarrett" and I don't know why. Maybe too much history in the book for my taste.
When I'm looking for something its more the other two that I re-read, specially "Device & Illusions".
In my opinion "The Magic of Alan Wakeling" is less heavy in history and more story telling written with a lot of information about the do & don't in presentation of the long routines explained. And there are not only illusions in the book, but aswell Close Up and stage routines.

Oliver.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1390 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I highly recommend taking the time to really read "Jarrett". Woven into that history is the brilliant thinking of an illusion genius. You are overlooking a goldmine that is at your fingertips. Ideas that would fool audiences and magicians alike today.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Jarrett is not as prepackaged and ready for easy consumption. Everything isn't on a silver platter to be devoured and disposed of.

It's a great book but will require some serious work to make many of the ideas work.
That being said, it contains brilliant stuff! A base that is 2 inches thick, the ability to produce 21 people from an impossibly small cabinet, The tightest fitting sawing in half I have ever come across which can be examined if made by the right carpenter.

For most of us, we need the Wakeling book and The Conjuring Anthology.

I'm actually quite shocked at how few people recommend the Conjuring Anthology. It's the book of stage and parlor you probably wish you had...

J
JVHarrison
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of JVHarrison
I second everything said about Jarrett. It's one of the rare examples of brilliance in the area of illusions.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1390 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Oh Jay, I'll throw in my support for The Conjuring Anthology. It's fantastic. Maybe the best work on stage magic there is. And there are a few excellent illusions in there as well. Several pieces went straight into my show.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Yes, The Conjuring Anthology is brilliant....filled with GREAT usable ideas. Frankly, you can put together a lot of shows just from that book. Jim is a genious and you should get all his books.
Sent from my Typewriter
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
You guys are forcing me to buy this just on your comments.

I do have these three and they were great buys:

- The Complete Jarrett
- Device & Illusions
- The Magic of Alan Wakeling

I should know by now, Jim's newest book would at least be equal to one of these great books.
Dennis Michael
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Dennis, each book you listed is indeed a gem. Ordered Jim's newest yesterday and now I feel like a kid waiting for Santa!
Sent from my Typewriter
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Funny thing is all those you listed Dennis are also Out Of Print now!
There is a reason why Jim's books don't stay in print long...

J
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
On 2009-09-30 08:23, Jay Mahon wrote:
There is a reason why Jim's books don't stay in print long...

True, true... You should act FAST when Jim releases a new book! Smile
Sent from my Typewriter
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
All I'm saying is he has never let me down with his publications!

I only wish I had a copy of the Thurston Workbooks!

J
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Veering off topic for a second, I have the original Jarrett book. What does The Complete Jarrett add over the original? (It appeared to me that it is does not add more info on his illusions and his concepts as much as adding more details about his life and personality.)

Thanks,
Michael
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Michael,
There isn't much added in the way of illusion information. Just updating the book with anything that has come to light since the original 1980's book was published.

J
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Check out the Dennis Loomis store. I bought my Complete Jarrett book from him couple years ago.

Best,

Las
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Thanks for the plug, Laszlo.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New Steinmeyer book - Technique and Understanding » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL