We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New Steinmeyer book - Technique and Understanding » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Whats shipping to Canada on most items? I'm looking at getting Scripting Magic.

J
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Hey Jay,

On Jim's site he has a flat rate of $10.00 and that is for the USPS delivery which I have found very good. This is also a good deal. He has a full explanation of how he ships his products.

I hope when some of our U.S. neighbours receive their copies (usually before us) they will post their thoughts.

A book like this also gives additional work to the illusion builders out there as the Modern Art book did.

Blair
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1436 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Quote:
On 2009-09-27 05:48, Dennis Michael wrote:
For a $125.00 I've got to look at some of the pictures, before I buy. Buying on Jim's credibility, in this situation would be a right thing to do, however, $125 is a lot of money for a book with 16 illusions.

Really?? That is $7.81 per Illusion... At that price, with Jim's Illusions, I'll take one! I own every book the man has written. Unless there are some super obscure books he's written that I don't know about.. Smile I will be buying this book FOR SURE!! Has anyone received their copy yet? I'd love to hear a review, and descriptions of the Illusions contained within. Effect descriptions, of course.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
You and me both Aaron!

It will be a monumental step in illusions I'm sure.

J
Edgar Alstad
View Profile
New user
Levanger, Norway
95 Posts

Profile of Edgar Alstad
I do not know to much about Thurstons history. But after reading Jarrett I was kinda curious about wether Jarrett had some good points or if there was something else hiding behind his critisism of Thurston?
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
I think it's fair to say that Jarrett was bitter towards him. Reading the story of Thurston having one of Jarrett's props cut apart, made wider by a few inches then put back together it heartbreaking! But his responses to many of these occasions is priceless. Like when he stormed out leaving writing on the 21 person cabinet only to have it not be used because they didn't know how to load it...

J
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
I just finished reading the book. It is amazing. Jim is a friend but that has nothing to do with my opinion of this work. Jim has published several illusions and routines that are already built and audience tested. From a clever way to produce a car ( performed by Henning and Blackstone), to a suspension effect using audience volunteers ( featured by the Spencers), to his 2 amazing principles for the classic periscope table ( Topas, Rudy Coby). Also an essay on beveled base design that alone is priceless. I got a headache reading this---so much great info to absorb and process.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Craig,
Was your copy a review copy or should we expect ours soon as well?

I'm excited beyond belief!

J
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
Jim brought mine by for me because I start building the illusion "Trouble" next week and wanted to go over some details with him. I know he just returned from Spain and said he is busy sending out the orders.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Thanks Craig!

Well I look forward to it.
If there is any other performance footage of Mr Steinmeyer as per the light bulb trick I am sure we would all LOVE to see it!

J
Chase
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
98 Posts

Profile of Chase
My copy arrived today. I'm about 1/4 of the way in. Outstanding.
I've skimmed the illusions, and so far I'm very excited.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Days away now...

J
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Oh, the wait!!!

Oh, the anticipation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B
Chase
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
98 Posts

Profile of Chase
I've finished a first (and cursory) reading.

This book is underpriced. You'll read this book once a year for 25 years and gain new perspective every time.

Technique & Understanding is aptly named. Is is every bit as much about solid theory and principle as it is about illusion design. In fact, the illusions, while terrific, are arranged as to illustrate Jim's teaching points in the essays. This book is the closest thing you'll find to graduate level writing in the illusion genre.

There is a beginning section of essays, eight stand up routines emphasizing scripting, a portion devoted to illusions that appear to use little to no apparatus, six amazing illusions that are "classic Steinmeyer" (And Craig is right. TROUBLE is visually interesting and extremely original), winds down with two essays on concealment, and ends with two illusions that demonstrate Jim's thinking on the "periscope table". The essay on bevel bases is probably the best thinking on the subject ever. Jim charts the history, progression, and regression of the principle. Jim has obviously thought intensely about this principle over the course of his career. It's interesting to note how few of Jim's designs use a beveled base principle, and after reading this essay you'll better understand why he shys away from it.

Highly recommended. Highest recommendation. This isn't a book to be read, this is a book to be studied.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Well, it looks like I am going to have to fly out the California and get this book myself!

Chase,
Thank you for the tantalizing overview. I have a sneaking suspicion that I am going to be buying a second copy of this book for collecting purposes and possibly a 2nd copy of The Conjuring Anthology for the same reason.

I can just wait at this point.

Anyone else receive there's yet?

J
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Recd. bk.

WOW!

B

(Shorthand 'cause I want to get back to it!!!)

Congrats Jim!!!
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
****!

I'm still bookless...

J
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2009-10-02 11:19, Blair Marshall wrote:
Recd. bk.

WOW!

B

(Shorthand 'cause I want to get back to it!!!)

Congrats Jim!!!

Hpfly, mn wl b hr 2dy...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
I'm hoping the same thing!

J
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

LOL

B
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New Steinmeyer book - Technique and Understanding » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL