The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Walking Liberty half dollars - patina? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
847 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Is it my imagination, or do these old Walking Liberty Half dollars have a different (blacker) patina than other half dollars, or is it just dirt? I have 4, all from the same source, and they have this "black" finish to them.
Perhaps it's been applied on purpose - but it DOES make the features of the coin stand out - making it great for attracting interest in the coinse.

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
It may be that the age of WLs is just right. They are new enough to still have quite a bit of relief (as opposed to a Barber), but old enough to have collected a lot of dirt and grime. The silver Kennedys are shinier because they were only minted for one year, and once the silver content was changed, were basically pulled from circulation.

Just an idea!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
847 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I have quite a few Kennedy silver half dollars, and none of them have anything like the finish of these Walking Libertys,.. I'd think maybe they've been treated, if it wasn't for the fact that on the big auction shop, there are always a few there that look pretty black....

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Walking Liberty half dollars - patina? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL