The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Best Size US Coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Perhaps just a need for a decade more practice, but I have trouble with old dollar coins, which I keep trying to use rather than halves, even though I do much better with the smaller coin.

Is it just evidence of inability? Are there some really good coin guys out there who do not use the bigger coins?

Pros, cons, and ideas would be most appreciated...

Thanks,

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
There are some outstanding coins guys (and gals) who use halves. I use dollars because I have fairly large hands. However, when I switched to dollars it did take some extra practice, especially for angle sensitive stuff.

By the way, a few things were easier with dollars.

One sleight I thought I'd never get was Kainoa Harbottle's Edge Flip Steal. However, after much practice, that just came together almost at once. I now find the Edge Flip Steal to be extremely difficult with half dollars.
Wes
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of dsacks
I really don't think that size matters. I've used both but ultimately end up with half-dollars. They just feel better. Been using them for so much longer than silver dollars -- and they are easier to get a hold of Smile

Anyhow, with that all said, the effect is really what counts. I don't think that the spectator is really going to care too much (if at all) about the size!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Although I can use my Morgans, I also find great result from using smaller coins such as dimes, pennys,nickles and quarters...

(fun exercise..)

roll a dime and then vanish it..

pick up a penny roll it ...then vanish it...

repeat with the nickel and quarter...

Than reach out and produce them out of the air...

All without noise or going to a pocket....

On the good days, I add my liberty half dollar to the mix...

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
I have gone back and forth with halfs and dollars, but now I am happy just using my walkin liberty's ...much easier to work with..Just use which ever you feel the most comfortably with.
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Jim,

I could use another decade, or two or 4 more practice...

Hopefully I will still have the chops, when I am in my 80's and 90's.

Harris..."have coins will travel"
still 2 old to know everything....
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8857 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Mandarin, good question and Wes, good points... Smile This is a question I was just thinking about this week, even today. I typically use half dollar size coins but as of late been playing with a set of old Morgans, very soft coins, extremely worn and it's the best thing that I've done in a while. It has forced me to "stretch" a bit and has even bettered my usage of half dollar size coins. I find that manipulating them now is easier than ever, while finding out what Chris Kenner meant when he said once in regards to his pet effect, "People that use half dollars just don't get it." Smile I see what he means. Smile I like the big coins better now, though I still enjoy doing effects with half dollar size coins as well, sometimes it depends on the effect and how comfortable I am trying to move upstairs to a higher floor with it. Smile Other than that, I suppose that it's all good. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4196 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Here are my thoughts, for what its worth... dollars are great for larger crowds due to their visibility, but I perform close up magic for small groups. Half dollars are easy to see, and far easier to work with (conceal, manipulate, etc), than dollars. I don't think your audience cares which coin you use, and they won't be any more impressed because you used a bigger coin.
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS!
https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

Send inquiries to rubinsteindvm@aol.com

Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
David Neighbors uses half dollar sized coins for close up. He saves the Dollar sized coins for parlor or stage. I like the dollar sized coins for CSB because I use a classic palm and it is more natural with the larger coins in my hands, though I have done it with halves for many years. I just got the Dollar sized set and am having fun practicing with it!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3621 Posts

Thanks, guys, for some great responses!

I was watching my "Coinvention Inauguaral" and noticed a bit of banter chiding those who did not use dollars, which got me to thinking. I can't classic palm a dollar to save my soul, and got to feeling kinda bad about that.

Is it my imagination, or are coin guys more friendly and helpful? There seems almost an atmosphere of camaraderie that is certainly missing in some other areas of magic. Anyway, much appreciation here for some very helpful opinions. Think for now I will cozy up with that "Walkin Liberty" gal for most stuff, and only break out the Morgans when necessary.

Michael- don't think I can make this year's event but, man, do I want to get to one of these...

Harris- Let's go for a few more, and form a duo- we could blow away the old-folks home...

Marion- the crimp change is comin along, but only with the halves...

Regards all,

Jim
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Jim,

With my father and mother in law living with us...just stop on by and we could session..We even have a carnival ride..well a stair case chair lift you can ride for a quarter..you have to cp it first...the coin not the chair...

Re: crimp change thanks to the Godfather and MB..at first my hands really hurt learning this utility move...

on the other hand...if anyone stops by the KC area..let me show you my muscle pass with a nickle...(on good days that is)

Coin guys are similar to jugglers..if you will put in the work they will appear..(with apologies to that baseball movie)

Harris
my hands don't look so young anymore
deutsch

"with his tongue somewhere near his cheek"
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1676 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
I agree with Dr. R that halves are easier for general close-up.

But I also agree with Sammy that dollar-size CSB coins are great. I have Todd's "infinity edge" set, and somehow the changes seem even more impossible with bigger coins. This statement is based on asking friends their opinions after viewing.

The same is true with Spellbound effects -- bigger coins = more impossible looking.

Cheers,
Jerry
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3621 Posts

Good point. I have some really good silver dollars, plus a slew of fakes that work with magnets and a triple threat set. I think I just need to use them where I can and not try to force it. But if halves are good enough for some of those I have watched on the Coinvention DVD, they sure are good enough for me as my work-horse size...

Actually, after watching those guys I am thinking... sponge balls...

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Best Size US Coin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL