The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Random Coin Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scody
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of scody
Hey folks,

I am pretty much a no gaff card guy.
I occasionally do bars and restaurants and even do some parlor type of stuff.
My coin stuff pretty much consists of no gaff things like coin to watch, coin to eye, maybe a jumbo coin production here or there, and sometimes I'll break out holy moly, gadabout. Coins are really not my forte, but I do like them.

I recently read the following quote here, it's my new favorite quote, from Jonathan Townsend, and it really affected my opinions of gaff work, especailly with coins:

Given the choice between impressing myself by using just four coins or impressing an audience by using all sorts of gaffs... I'd disappoint myself for their sake. The magic is for them anyway.

I currently own a kennedy expanded shell, but don't perform any routines with it.
I have a budget of about $150 - $200, and am looking for something to spice up my coin work. Having not used gaffed coins (scotch and soda, maybe, a long time ago Smile, I thought I'd put it out there to see if you guys could point me in the right direction, or at least, in some direction.

Maybe I shouldn't do anything until I look into routines with my shell. Maybe I should invest in some better coins. Maybe I should be thinking of something like hopping halves or something. I don't session much, so my coin teacher is really youtube, bobo, and a couple of other dvds. So, I'd really like to hear some thoughts or insights that you guys have.

Incidentally, I prefer standup work... tabled is nice, but since I'm not always afforded the opportunity, when I can, I like using routines that can be performed in the hands, standing up... that's some advice I gleemed from Pop Haydn.

Thanks so much for any info or insight you have.

Incidentally, I'm not a big fan of using kennedy's...

I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks!
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
David Roth has a DVD on gaffs (one volume of "Expert Coin Magic - Made Easy", I believe - don't remember which one), filled with all sorts of useful stuff. Or his book Expert Coin Magic is full of good things.

Hard to beat a Coins Across with a shell.
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
First there isn't anything wrong with Kennedy. It's not top of the line for sure but I'll tell you what, my Kennedy sets I've bought over the years are probably the best money I've spent on any kind of magic. I have a couple of gaffs that I got almost thirty years ago and have used them countless times, when I think of what a great value I got it makes me so happy I got them. Of course now that I'm older and have much more disposable income I shop a little further up the food chain but I wouldn't get rid of those Kennedy coins for anything.

As far as routines go with gaffs. If you want to be able to end up with the coins in your hand that you can hand out then I love the Triple Transposition effect of the Copper/Silver/Brass. Mr. Bob Sheets has the best routine for that. If you don't care about having to hand out the coins I love Hopping Halves. I know both these are old hat and a million guys do them but everyone I've ever done them for love it, at least that's what they tell me. Hopping Halves usually ends with people begging me to tell them how it's done.

Finally in Mr. Hooser book DesTROYer he as some pretty good basic tricks using a flipper. It's a good place to start to get familiar with that gaff. Once you start using a flipper you can't live without it.

My brother said the same thing about the pre-moistened toilet paper, once you use it you'll never go back. He's right and so am I when it comes to a flipper.

Start with a Hopping Half set, you'll thank me later.

Good Luck

Phil
scody
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of scody
Thanks everybody...
When I buy gaffs... where should I be buying them from?
Should I be buying them top of the line, or are the cheaper version as good?

Should I be spending a LOT of money for a flipper or a shell or a hopping halves set....
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
If you wanna go high end that's great... but if I were you. I would go with johnson clad in kennedys.

You could get a two copper one silver... a new shell... a flipper.... a copper silver coin and a hopping halves a scotch and soda and still be close to your budget... in fact that would be $199 before shipping at the magic warehouse, all in stock....

Can't beat that for your money... after you play with them for a while then upgrade to Lassen...

Shawn
Shawn.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Copper, Silver, Brass would be my recommendation. Great visual magic, pretty easy performance. I would consider a Johnson set, though it is the least favorite of the sets I own. My worker for years was a Sterling set (30 years old). I loved that set, but am not sure it is still available.
I now use a Lassen Morgan Dollar set.
Look around. The Johnson set is workable, and affordable.

Bottom line, CSB is one of the greatest gaff coin routines you could ever do.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
I've got a large pile of gaff coins. I love to play with them and invent things. The luxury of doing sonar acoustics for a living instead of magic, I suppose. I enjoy doing gaffless magic too. However, I find that the clad coins are very slippery in my hands. The silver coins seem to be more sticky. So my recommendation is to go with a nice silver half set with shell and a copper silver coin. With 4 halves, an english penny and those two gaffs you can do an amazing number of magical effects. Add in some interesting props such as a coin box, glass, cylinder, portable hole (Roth routine) etc and you can do a lot of interesting magical effects.

Good luck
The real magic is family!
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
499 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Good advise here. A nice Shell, CSB and Hopping halves will go a long way. If you want to get a flipper I suggest going with a Gravity Flipper by Schoolcraft or Lassen if you go that route but it will cost more. As far as who to buy from you can't go wrong with Johnson all their stuff is great and reasonably priced. Their CSB set is the best. If you can afford to splurge go Schoolcraft or Lassen. Also I have been very impressed with Tango lately. They have taken a step up.

Hope that helps.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
Mr. Tango
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
461 Posts

Profile of Mr. Tango
I recommend T.U.C.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
The magic warehouse has been a great source in relationship to some of the top of the line stuff I use from Lassen.

It is the magician that makes his props. (read recently about a professional pool player using an old cue to do phenomenal work)

A stick can play as well as a $500 wand in the right venue and right hands...
(See Johathan Winters)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
825 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Just came across this thread. So how did you fare? I am waiting on some schoolcraft gaffs myself and am reading a lot of older coin threads.

I normally carry 4 silver halves with a Johnson shell (For Roth's coins across, a Hooser routine, coins through table and a coin matrix); copper, silver, brass (Do a combination of Doc Eason's and Bob Sheet's routine); copper silver coin (Mark Jenest's Short Hop and a spellbound routine).

I no longer carry: my scotch and soda (the reset took time and there are other in the audience's hands effects that had the same impact), cigarette through coin, folding quarter (biting a quarter has gotten old and I do a bottlecap through bottle now), and several other items.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
harvini2
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of harvini2
Expanded shell, and Copper,Silver,Brass, gives you all kinds of possibilities
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Love my new T.U.C.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Rory111
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Rory111
I love my T.U.C., too! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Random Coin Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL