The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Props from Mark Wilsons cyclopedia of Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gilbert
View Profile
New user
Quebec, Canada
36 Posts

Profile of Gilbert
I bought the book mentionned above, and saw that there is some instruction on creating material (vanishing box...) Is there anyone who did use the instruction and are they whort it.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Been a while since I've actually looked at the book, but on his Magic University he does a video on this same thing. It makes a half way decent box. A lot of magic props can be made from cardboard or foam board. Even top pros have used such material in their props on their shows.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
At one time I worked for Amazing Johnathan and some of his props were made of old cardboard boxes, gaffer tape and flat black paint.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If I'm thinking of the same vanishing box (with a 2 piece hinged lid), I have made one and it works just fine. The dimensions are good, but you can always alter them to suit the size you want. I would suggest devising a means by which the sides can be collapsible, though. The solid 4-sided main box is a bit cumbersome.

There is also a production box that I think the book suggests using a shoe box for. This is something that I have also made from wood, and it too is a nice prop.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I once made a "Doll House" illusion out of a big cardboard box. The "commonness” of it only added to the impact. I used colored construction paper to mimic doors and windows. It really looked like a child had made it. But when the girl stepped out...Wow!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
modfrog
View Profile
New user
winchester
73 Posts

Profile of modfrog
I used the plans in that very book to build a squared circle
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
I have used the book to build and/or perform a couple of illusions and they were successful. The book is a good starting point. You may be able to supplement the book with other plans, i.e. Paul Osborne's plans, available at http://www.magiclegends.com/paulosbornemagicillusion.html

:magicrabbit:
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Hi Gilbert,the vanishing box is great .I have used it for nearly ten years now.
I produce rocky racoon from it then vanish him.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1785 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
If you liked that, you might also like :
http://trickshop.com/shop/victory-carton-illusions
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2009-09-25 01:04, tabman wrote:
At one time I worked for Amazing Johnathan and some of his props were made of old cardboard boxes, gaffer tape and flat black paint.

(I know you're not here Tabby... but)
I always liked hearing the story from Harry Blackstone Jr about going to the far east for an illusion show but the illusions didn't make it so they made illusions from cardboard boxes, glue and glitter and he bought close line for rope tricks.

As far as Marks stuff. Many have made it before, You should make it and send him a picture... that would make his day.

Side note: I was working at the Magic Castle Bar and Mark sat down, said he was there especially to see me. And I said "Really... Half of what I'm doing is in your books" we both laughed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Props from Mark Wilsons cyclopedia of Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL