We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Banachek Chat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
In the next of our series of interviews with magicians and mentalists involved in Genii's 75th Anniversary Jinx project, I am thrilled to welcome Banachek to the Magic Newswire's Spirit of Magic podcast! Find out more about how he got into mentalism through the backdoor and get an inside look at the now infamous Alpha Project Hoax! Listen Here and Enjoy!
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Pablo_Amira
View Profile
Special user
Temuco, Chile
682 Posts

Profile of Pablo_Amira
Wow!!

MentalNewsWire?? ;D

thanks
-------------------------------------------
Asombro...lo más elevado a que puede llegar el hombre

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Hah! We are on such a trend aren't we! ;-)

Posted: Sep 25, 2009 12:10am
Curse you Pablo.. yet one more domain that I have to buy now! ;-) Done.. By tomorrow.. MentalNewswire.com will point to MagicNewswire.com ;-)
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
Ah, the alpha project. A ambitiously sleazy display of human nature that hopefully had a positive effect on research protocol. Proof that a few strangely commited,arrogant, unethical magicians--including one very young and impressionable mentalist looking for a pivotal moment of self worth--can fool some naive, earnest scientists who were sincerely dedicated to truth and have no knowledge of magic because it wasn't in the university curriculum.

I'll skip that part because the young man grew to be a master of his art.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Based on your comments, you might actually enjoy listening to Banachek talk about that. Sounds similar to what he had to say. Lemmeno what you think after you listen.
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
292 Posts

Profile of Agaton
Very good interview! Great work!
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1918 Posts

Profile of DT3
Dodd,

You are doing such a great job. And we know this is all a labour of love for you. Thank you so much for continuing to deliver.

You have reassured us that the internet is not really evil after all.

D.
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
Quote:
On 2009-09-25 00:57, magicnewswire wrote:
Based on your comments, you might actually enjoy listening to Banachek talk about that. Sounds similar to what he had to say. Lemmeno what you think after you listen.

Yea, Banachek is a good enough guy and he did admit to even having a lot of affection for some of the researchers. that's definitely a good thing. I just always see it as a low point in magic history. I have my reasons, which I suppose are irrelevent in a magic forum. It was a good interview as always.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17684 Posts

Profile of Slim King
David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty disappear.
Criss Angel walked on water.
And Steve Shaw fooled the Scientists Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1918 Posts

Profile of DT3
I think it's interesting that in both Banachek's interview and the interview with Bob Cassidy, they both mention Henry Hay's The Amateur Magician's Handbook as major influences.
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Quote:
On 2009-09-25 02:20, Don Theo III wrote:
Dodd,

You are doing such a great job. And we know this is all a labour of love for you. Thank you so much for continuing to deliver.

You have reassured us that the internet is not really evil after all.

D.

Thanks so much! I am glad that so many find it as worthwhile to listen as I do to put them together!
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1245 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Quote:
On 2009-09-25 12:54, Don Theo III wrote:
I think it's interesting that in both Banachek's interview and the interview with Bob Cassidy, they both mention Henry Hay's The Amateur Magician's Handbook as major influences.

That's my base. I love that book and still go back to it frequently.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
Pablo_Amira
View Profile
Special user
Temuco, Chile
682 Posts

Profile of Pablo_Amira
What do you think about the comment about Mr. Brown from Banachek??
I liked the Mr. Brown flavor to the mentalism, but as I said Banachek, I feel that "all NLP" ideas are too much.
-------------------------------------------
Asombro...lo más elevado a que puede llegar el hombre

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
The amateur magicians handbook was my forst 'real' magic book (excluding the "101 tricks anyone can do" booklets that came with the magic sets), at age 14 it was a lot to take in, but its a great book...i picked up a new copy a few years ago, I recommend that when anyone shows real interest in learning magic.
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1178 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Bertran,

With much respect...

re your first post....ouch...

What about unethically taking money in the name of science and not following proper scientific protocol? Naivete is not an excuse, tell that to the guy who takes money out of petty cash intending to pay it back not realizing it is a crime. As I was once told in court for a traffic ticket, ignorance is not an excuse. These scientist were looking at documenting what they all ready believed and skipping the first stage of finding out if the "powers" we had were even genuine, there was no dedication to "to finding the truth, just dedication to presenting their "truth."

And was parapsychologists themselves during that period who suggested that magicians or skeptics try to introduce a magician into a lab if they felt they could.

As for it being "a low point in magical history," I think it was a very high pint as it ended up showing that magicians are more than just con-men or ignorant parlor tricksters but that we are a resource of specialized knowledge and have a talent that should be respected and sought out under the right circumstances when possible trickery might be present. You don't hire a brain surgeon to do a root canal. You don't use a scientist to see if trickery is present. And you don't use a physicist to detect a magic trick.

Also if you think I was looking for "a pivitol moment of self worth" you don't know who I was or what my intentions were at all. They were not to get fame and fortune from and not to prove my worth. But to do something I felt was necessary at the time with all the promotion of pseudoscience that was going on at that period in our history.

On another note, thank you for the kind words as well, they are much appreciated.

And in case I might be misunderstood on the context of my comment on Derren Brown, I think he is brilliant and not only a fantastic performer but also an incredible person. He has moved our profession forward by leaps an bounds.

Psychic Samurai (not living in Singapore Smile, re Steve Shaw. He and Banachek are the same, but we don't call Kreskin by his real name, we don't use Copperfield's real name and we don't call Houdini... Eric Weiss and we don't call.....well you get the idea. It is called respect Smile and I do respect you.

Sorry, feeling a little ornery.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2009-09-26 00:51, Banachek wrote:

Psychic Samurai (not living in Singapore Smile,

Wow! Banachek how you do that? Smile

You must be the REAL DEAL faking to be a trickster... Very smart my friend, very smart! Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
"And in case I might be misunderstood on the context of my comment on Derren Brown, I think he is brilliant and not only a fantastic performer but also an incredible person. He has moved our profession forward by leaps an bounds."

I would say ditto to Banachek. So many of your ideas and creations have become classics and continue to be featured in the acts of many top entertainers. More importantly, however, you are a true gentleman who continues to give back to his craft. Your efforts are truly appreciated. Thanks you.

Steve
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1245 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Quote:
On 2009-09-25 10:32, Psychic Samurai wrote:
David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty disappear.

No he didn't. Smile

Quote:
Criss Angel walked on water.

No he didn't! lol!

Quote:
And Banachek fooled the Scientists Smile

Yes, he sure did!

Unfortunately, what could have been used as a way to improve protocol in PSI research served more to embarrass researchers and bring an important (in my opinion) field of study to its knees.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1178 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Sorry about the typos, ("pint" instead of "point", "they" instead of "it"" and so on) it was late, I was tired and had a raging migrain, hence the orneriness. Smile

Project Alpha did improve protocol on many levels in certain areas of PSI research for instance, quite a few parapsychologists realized that they needed the expert opinion of expert magicians when it came to this area of research. So advances were made as a result of Project Alpha but positive results became hard to come by and as a result research on PK became less. You can only continue research so long without results until you give up or funding runs out.

Positive results were a result but you rarely hear about them because people often are too busy focusing on the controversy of the project.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Any schmuck can trash a research study. That is still true today.

Introduce a magician to trick them? How about just educating them what to look for? I know there isn't as much glory or press in that plus it could probably be done in a very, very short time.

It took you years to illustrate your point? Either your "group" was completely hapless and pathetic or there were other motives.

You make a very good case for magician's being con-men. You could have educated them and if the study was fatally flawed it could have been ended and saved the taxpayer six figures...but it took you years. You are responsible for all that taxpayer money being wasted if you knew better and didn't just speak up.

It could have been addressed with one demonstration at a lab meeting (which you would know if you had any idea how science operates). Protocols would have been adjusted, or if that wasn't possible the study would have been scrapped and started over with a different design (or completely scrapped if that was not possible).

A high school drop-out and a couple teen age males trash something...not a new news story.

Back then they just would shut a study down. Today, with research money being so much harder to get you would risk a fraud prosecution for knowingly deceiving a funded study and costing the government so much money.

As far as it being a low point in magic history, realistically probably not. Other than skeptics and a handful of magician's I expect few in the general public know or care about the alpha project.

Outside of the skeptics board and a few topics here skeptics are essentially irrelevant in the real world.

I am just surprised to see the alpha project approach still being defended after all these years.

You preach against pseudo-science and then sell (excellent) material to make performers look psychic. It's like an abolitionist with a liquor store. Oh, that's right...it's for "entertainment" (and the liquor is for medicinal reasons).

It is a curious thing you do, but at least you do it well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Banachek Chat (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL