The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Banachek Chat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Hey Banachek,

I met you again at the recent Taom, Just wanted to say thanks for the great advice. I loved your lecture and your performance.
I also loved your interivew
I hope to brake into the collage business soon.
If your ever in waco Tx and want to see another mentalist show look me up. I always have a show coming up in waco.
Blake Adams
http://www.blakeadamsmindmagic.com
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
I have just posted my latest in the Jinx interview series. The contributors joining me on this episode include Mac King, Max Maven, Eugene Burger, Mike Caveney and Jonathan Levit. Each has their own unique take on Annemann and the Jinx. You can listen here.
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Thank you, Dodd, for all you do. I know how difficult it is to make deadlines and continue with a quality podcast and news updates (and all the controversy). You are doing a stellar job. I download and listen to the Newswire each week on my iPod Touch and I enthusiastically recommend your podcast to all magicians. There is so much there, not only with current stuff but the richness of our past. Your in-depth interviews give texture to our craft that will leave a lasting legacy for future generations of magicians to learn from and to enjoy.

All the best for continued success. And perhaps I may be able to assist you from time to time with some of the interviews, too, as another "cub reporter".

sincerely,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Viano2
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Viano2
Hi Banachek

I loved the interview. You have been a guiding light to me since we first met at 72 Hours.

As for those critical of your involvement in the Alpha Project, they are naive. I am a graduate of Washington University and a retired Research Scientist. Research today is all about getting funding. If you seek funding to do research that may show the man-made global warming is increasing, there is lots of money available. If you want to do research that may prove the global warming is a hoax, there is very little funding available. The sources of grant money are often seeking support for their beliefs rather than seeking "TRUTH". Unfortunately, that has become more pervasive since the time of the Alpha Project.

I agree with your statements about your Roulette with knives. I have seen you do it and I know the methodology. That leaves me free to watch the audience and their reactions. This effect is riveting to a lay audience. The "trick" is good. Your presentation is the thing that makes it work. The audience really likes you and they are genuinely concerned that you may be hurt. You have them in the palm of your hand because your persona is so likable. I did escapes for many years and I learned that bonding with the audience is more important than the props and the hoopla. If they really like you, death-defying stunts much more effective.

I reread Psychological Subtleties 1 about once a year and each time I learn a bit more. Each time I seem to have a slightly different eye. I read the same words and get a different thought.

Thanks for sharing your time, your thoughts, and your experiences.

Viano
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2009-09-25 00:47, Bertrand Thornley wrote:
...Proof that a few strangely commited,arrogant, unethical magicians--including one very young and impressionable mentalist looking for a pivotal moment of self worth--can fool some naive, earnest scientists who were sincerely dedicated to truth...

You describe the scientists as the ones who were "earnest" and "sincerely dedicated to truth".

Couldn't this description apply equally well to the magicians?

Similarly, couldn't the scientists be described as the ones who were "arrogant", "impressionable" and "looking for a pivotal moment of self worth"?

j/w

Quote:
On 2009-09-24 23:40, magicnewswire wrote:
In the next of our series of interviews with magicians and mentalists involved in Genii's 75th Anniversary Jinx project, I am thrilled to welcome Banachek to the Magic Newswire's Spirit of Magic podcast! Find out more about how he got into mentalism through the backdoor and get an inside look at the now infamous Alpha Project Hoax! Listen Here and Enjoy!

Is that the theme to BARGAIN HUNT playing in the background at the beginning of the clip?
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Research is always about getting funding...as is any job that requires supplies be bought and people paid.

I do think you are making a blanket statement about global warming research that is highly inaccurate however. Let's look at it a bit.

It isn't that research showing global warming to not be true isn't funded...there is a huge demand for such results. The United States is consistently the stumbling block in global warming regulation. Such scientific findings would be very valuable to US business.

The problem with research that would suggest global warming isn't true is it isn't consistent with current research findings.

If you have results that would indicate that global warming is not true (that would not be ridiculed in peer-reviewed journals) the world is your oyster.

Government may not fund it but private business (especially oil and coal) would throw money at you so fast you couldn't count it.

Private industry pays WAY more than government/university research. There isn't a lack of money for this research...the results so far just don't support it. Oil and coal would give you more for this kind of result than tobacco would give you for results indicating smoking is good for you.

That certainly doesn't suggest the road to funding isn't affected by politics. The Bush administration cut off funding (and edited results) to support their political/religious goals. There are many examples of this on the internet.

Now the Obama administration will change funding priorities too. Good or bad? I'm not touching that with a hundred foot pole.

Another curious, current example...I have a friend who is doing research on a disease that affects only about ten people. So why is it funded? It is because one of those people is the child of a powerful congressman. He is probably hoping for a break-through that will save his child.

Usually science doesn't work that fast.

Another factor about what is funded is human frailty. Currently obesity research is well funded.

The major cause of obesity is actually pretty well known...high fat diets. That's it. Take two genetically identical mice and put them on the same calorie-count diet. The high fat diet mouse will get fat while the other doesn't.

So why is there research? People don't want to stop eating at McD's. So you have to look at all the ways to alter and affect appetite and related physiological systems. One of the Nobel prize winners here won his prize for obesity research.

All you have to do is not eat high fat diets. You don't need a Nobel prize winning study for that.

The controversy over the alpha project was how it was handled. That has been discussed enough already.

As far as scientists being arrogant I have noticed it to be true in two extremes...the scientists at the very, very top big name universities and the scientists on the bottom, at the smaller colleges. It is probably about 5% of the scientists and mostly male.

This applies only to research scientists. In different fields of science people think and act differently. Everywhere I have gone, small or large universities, the male medical students seem to be very arrogant.

Different people think differently. There is a story that illustrates this.

A guy on the street, a medical student, and a research scientist are walking down the street. They walk up to a lever they find and pull it. They get an electric shock.

The guy on the street thinks, "I'm not doing that again".

The medical student thinks, "I wonder what the right answer is".

The research scientist thinks, "I wonder if it will do that again".

You need all different kinds of thinking to make the world work.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Funny someone would claim that we are naive. My niece is a NASA Scientist. She has been on both polar ice
caps in the last two years for months at a time studying climate changes. She was involved in writing the grant that is currently funding the work she now does for NASA. She was the first ever female to be offered a shot at becoming an astronaut who turned it down (She has another opportunity next year if she desires)
I agree with Mota ... There is plenty of funding to show that global warming is NOT happening. I think Viano2 is wrong on that one.

However, I do see Mr. V's point that the Alpa Project didn't stop the funding issues. Looks like it's worse.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote one of the most level headed characters ever. Holmes seem to be able to find rational explanations in the strangest of circumstances. YET Mr. Doyle believed in fairies and any occult behavior presented before him.

Intelligence does not rule out magic thinking.

By the way, along the lines of what is going on here, there's a movie coming out that will tickle some of you. It's called The Men Who Stared At Goats. It's a humorous take on a time when our government went in the other direction... they were seeing things through Doyle's eyes and not Holmes'.

If you get a chance to rent or buy the documentary of the same name then do yourself a favor and get it. It has a lot of unintentional laughs as you see high ranking officials believe they can walk through a wall if they simple believe. And we definitely had tax dollars spent on this crazy experiment.

By the way, Banachek, you're the best!!!

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
That is indeed an interesting film Greg. It was a three part series in the UK called "Crazy Rulers of the World." The three parts were titled "The Men Who Stare at Goats", "Funny Torture" and "Psychic Footsoldiers. "Thanks for reminding me of it. I believe it is being made into a feature film with George Clooney as well.

Updated.. yep.. in fact, here's a trailer from YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVKi3z1NXF8
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Yep, that's the 3 part documentary I saw. The film looks great. Can't wait. But I'm sure some will say that if you just stare at that wall long enough you will go through it... but not when you're being watched. Smile

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
I'm watching this again just because it makes me chuckle to hear the General in charge of Military Intelligence talk about spoon bending and "Project Jedi"

For anyone that is interested, here are some links:

This film was based on the Jon Ronson book"The Men Who Stare At Goats." (http://www.jonronson.com/goats_04.html) And will soon be a dark comedy starring Kevin Spacey & George Clooney.

It is a three part documentary from the BBC Entitled Crazy Rulers of the World:

Watching these requires the VEOH Player, but worth it I think. There are segmented versions of the film on YouTube but it requires a bit more work to pull them together.)

----------------------------------
EP 1 The Men Who Stare At Goats
Charts the history of a secret US Army unit founded in 1979 - the First Earth Battalion. The programme uncovers the startling truth about this unit's involvement with paranormal activities that defy all known accepted military practice, including mind reading, out of body experiences and 'thought-death' experiments carried out on goats at Fort Bragg.

LINK : http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/catego......wtSjfqpq

EP 2 Funny Torture
Jon Ronson reveals how the New Age movement of the 1980s has influenced interrogation at Guantanamo Bay and in post-war Iraq.

LINK : http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/catego......44D2DSz2

EP 3 Psychic Footsoldiers
The final episode looks into the military's involvement with remote viewing and mind control experiments.

LINK : http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/catego......28zpf6Nj
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Quote:
On 2009-09-26 23:31, Gerry Hennessey wrote:
Excellent interview with Banachek Dodd.

Many thanks for your great work.

How about some roving reporters for the upcoming Mindvention?

Best

Gerry

I am now happy to report that we will indeed have TWO people reporting from MindVention. Thanks to Danny Archer for being so accommodating. Stay tuned for a chat with Danny very soon as well.
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Banachek Chat (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL