The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » DVDs..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
922 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
I know this has been asked before....

but of all the DVD's on Hypnosis out there (Stage Hypnosis) can anyone recommend ones that they have watched and value.

I'm talking beginner stuff here guys...thanks. Smile

ORAL>
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Every one of the DVDs (and before that, videotapes) I've watched have value. Some are valuable for showing me what NOT to do. Some are 95% junk and 5% incredible. Some are 95% informative and 5% dangerously in error.

But each and every one of them has value.

At least, they have value to me.

What, specifically, are you looking for?

If you're looking to learn stage hypnosis I would strongly urge you to save your money and take an in-person training. Then use videos, audios, and books to augment what you have learned.
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
922 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Thanks a lot dmkraig, I was considering purchasing "deeper and deeper" as well as the Ronning book. Basically looking for the careful use of language and pre-show speech + inductions.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I haven't seen "Deeper and Deeper," and I haven't finished the Ronning book. From this perspective the Ronning book is very specific and not as wide as the McGill book. That's not meant as an insult. So far, I have found the Ronning book to be very good, but I would suggest adding McGill's books, too, for a more thorough understanding.

Richard Nongard has a DVD called "Stage Hypnosis Pre-Talk and Induction." I haven't seen it yet, so I neither do nor don't recommend it, but from the description it sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

Although you haven't requested it, have taught hypnosis to many people, I'd like to make a few suggestions for you:
1) Pre-talk and use of language, as you point out, is very important, especially for a stage show where you have to build rapport and authority fast. Some people have their intro recorded with music, etc. However, most beginner need to do this talk themselves. Don't get hung up on it! Yes, use key words and concepts, but don't make it sound like you've memorized it. Make it fresh, lively, and appropriate to the audience each time. Also, many new hypnotists get keyed up over the potential of making a mistake. "What happens if I say the wrong word or do something the wrong way?" Again, don't get hung up on it. Just correct it and move on.

One of the key things I like to use are statements such as "The more inventive and creative you are, the easier it is for you to go into hypnosis."

Later, when you have a group on stage, I like to use a statement for both the people on stage and the people in the audience. I say to the audience (making sure people on stage can hear) "Give a round of applause for the real stars of the show...Remember, the more you show your appreciation with loud applause, the more they respond, and the more they respond to the suggestions, the more you applaud." It tells everyone exactly what I'm looking for without sounding like I'm telling them what to do.

2) There probably aren't any classes at a local college on stage hypnosis, but you can take beginning acting classes and speech classes.
3) Beginning hypnotists get really involved in knowing lots of inductions. Here's a dirty little secret that not many hypnotists will tell you: there's only a few basic types of inductions. All the rest are variations on those basic inductions. Often, people selling DVDs will make a small change to an induction, slap a name on it and call it original. Is there really a big difference between looking at a spot on the wall and looking at your finger tip? I don't think so.

The big advantage of taking an in-person training--even an inexpensive, "weekend wonder" hypnotherapy training--is that you'll get a chance to hypnotize a variety of people, often in less than perfect circumstances, under the eye of a (theoretically) trained and experienced instructor.

If you go to any hypnosis site where there's a forum you will see post after post from people trying to learn hypnosis from a You Tube video or a book, saying, "it didn't work" or "they felt relaxed but I couldn't get them to do anything." One in-person training would fix that completely.

If you read some books on inductions, look for the similarities, not the differences. Discover the general rules of induction. Then, by using those rules, you can create an unlimited number of your own inductions.

But remember, too, that stage hypnosis is not about known a bunch of inductions. It's about quickly hypnotizing people and getting them to do things.

4) The main thing to learn for stage hypnosis is actually the different bits you'll have the people do. As a "general" rule, begin with group stunts. As they do the stunt, look for the most active people. Those are the ones you'll feature during the show. Although not necessary, having some props can be helpful.

5) When doing a stage show, remember the three most important things: safety, safety, safety. Always watch out for people's safety. The main cause of problems in shows is not from someone reacting badly, but from someone wandering around and falling off the stage.
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
922 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Thanks a ton! I really have enjoyed your input!

I look forward to reading the books and continuing forward with hypnosis!
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Dmkraig said: (quote)
"The more inventive and creative you are, the easier it is for you to go into hypnosis."
(/quote)

It would be far too easy I feel for someone to read the above and simply skip over it. Some hypnotists merely say 'the more intelligent people go into hypnosis better'
I feel that craig's quote is an absolute golden nugget and to my mind very well worded and highly highly powerful. Obviously, having said that he would continue to give them reasons as to the WHY. ie: "those who do come up here this evening will have one of the greatest experiences of their entire lives", an evening they will truly never, ever, forget".
(que great music as the hypnotist makes the call to take to the stage. My favourite is Mandy by Barry Mannilow. Okay that's a joke, but actually I'd be interested in what other hypnotists use for this part and why)
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Bobser wrote:

""those who do come up here this evening will have one of the greatest experiences of their entire lives", an evening they will truly never, ever, forget"."

I like it! I like it a lot.

BTW, Hypnosis Secrets (I think) used to have an audio cassette on how to get people to be more active on stage. I don't think that tape can easily be found any more (Hypnosis Secrets is no longer functioning), and a guy trying to sell new versions of some of the stuff really botched his approach (IMO), but the tape had some good ideas on it similar to mine and yours.

Thanks for your addition!
magicgar
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of magicgar
I know this has been asked before....

but of all the DVD's on Hypnosis out there (Stage Hypnosis) can anyone recommend ones that they have watched and value.

I'm talking beginner stuff here guys...thanks.

ORAL>

Here are some dvds

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View......ESELX:IT
HypnotizeAmerica
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of HypnotizeAmerica
Quote:

"BTW, Hypnosis Secrets (I think) used to have an audio cassette on how to get people to be more active on stage. I don't think that tape can easily be found any more (Hypnosis Secrets is no longer functioning), and a guy trying to sell new versions of some of the stuff really botched his approach (IMO), but the tape had some good ideas on it similar to mine and yours."

Ouch. That hurt my feelings. And you would know this because you bought the course and have reviewed it fully? It is your opinion and I respect it. Also if you look at the site wwww.learnstagehypnotism.com you'll see it is now just a blog with the product coming soon.

If it is a DVD you are after I can't help you but when it comes to audio and books packed with information that you can use and make money with - we'll I'll put my product against anyone.

You can spend more to learn less if you want. I don't stop by often so if you have a question PM me. Thanks.

Tim

PS: I am in the process of updating and videos should be ready soon. When I stop being so lazy. Oh and live training is coming up as well.

Tim
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
No, Tim, I didn't buy the course.

As I wrote in that particular thread where you tried to drive people to your ad, I don't know if the course is good or not as you don't say what you've changed.

But as I wrote in my post on this thread, I think you botched your approach. That is, the way you're attempting to sell it really sucks, IMO (and in the opinion of many people who also looked at your advertising).

That has nothing to do with the quality of the Hypnosis Secrets material. I really liked some of his stuff. You can present your ad in an exciting and encouraging way filled with NLP techniques to encourage sales without the current approach. For example, try looking at the books by Joe Vitale for sales tips.

Advertising can make or break any product, no matter how good it is. The Microsoft Zune, IMO, is a fine product. Their horrible sales campaign (combined with the Apple iPod juggernaut) sank it. It should have done better than it did.

Do you want your products to be an iPod or a Zune?
HypnotizeAmerica
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of HypnotizeAmerica
Actually I wasn't trying to drive anyone to the thread. I just wanted opinions. I got them and made changes as a result. You'll see those changes soon.

And I don't need Joe's book, I have enough copywriting and marketing materials to choke a horse. As I stated I didn't write the sales copy the first go around and don't plan on writing it the second time. If I am forced to I will, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I'll let you know when everything is done.

Tim
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Good. Please do. As I have written, I like a lot of the Hypnosis Secrets material, and I'd be interested in seeing them remastered, made available, and updated.
ScHeRzO
View Profile
New user
Ecuador
63 Posts

Profile of ScHeRzO
The Manchurian Approach by Anthony Jaquins.
But it will be better to go into a course to train your skills as an introduction to hypnosis.

Good Luck
SCHERZO
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4095 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On 2009-09-27 07:55, bobser wrote:
Dmkraig said: (quote)
"The more inventive and creative you are, the easier it is for you to go into hypnosis."
(/quote)

It would be far too easy I feel for someone to read the above and simply skip over it. Some hypnotists merely say 'the more intelligent people go into hypnosis better'
I feel that craig's quote is an absolute golden nugget and to my mind very well worded and highly highly powerful. Obviously, having said that he would continue to give them reasons as to the WHY. ie: "those who do come up here this evening will have one of the greatest experiences of their entire lives", an evening they will truly never, ever, forget".
(que great music as the hypnotist makes the call to take to the stage. My favourite is Mandy by Barry Mannilow. Okay that's a joke, but actually I'd be interested in what other hypnotists use for this part and why)

Rapport folks, rapport. Ha ha. People are often concerned about introductions and how to open a show yet they forget that the introductions and opener is not only restricted to the moment the show starts. They forget that pre-selling yourself and setting up audience expectations long before they even enter the venue also plays a big part in your success there on after when the show does begin.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
684 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Manchurian Approach by Anthony Jaquin
Reality is a Plastic by Anthony Jaquin
Stage hypnosis exposed by R. Nongard
waso
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of waso
Quote:
On 2009-09-25 16:07, dmkraig wrote:
Some are 95% junk and 5% incredible.

I am very interested in those 5% incredible DVDs. Can you please give us some hints?
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2949 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
Many of the DVD's make me sleepy, sleepy, sleepy.............slee...
Northern California
magicgar
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of magicgar
I would say Richard Nongard or Geoffery Ronning dvds. Check out ebay for some good deals.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » DVDs..... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL