The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mother of all Book Tests (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Before spending $350 ...
can anyone point me in the right direction to see a demo of this effect?
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
If you want a book test this is the best..
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2009-09-25 18:34, BlakeAdams wrote:

If you want a GIMMICKED booktest this is ONE among the top five best!

Also, there is plenty of youtube videos which show some different people using MOABT as part of larger shows, but the fact it flies by when one does not know it's being used... isn't the whole point of it?
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2009-09-25 18:34, BlakeAdams wrote:

Hmmm...I respectfully disagree. But I will fight to the death for your right to say that.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Wulfie,

Can't steer you to a video demo, but even if I could it wouldn't do you much good without the explanation. Suffice it to say that MOAB is one of the best -- certainly one of the top five -- of the commercially available booktests that uses a specially prepared book. (I have several of the booktests from Roth's Outlaw Effects and while I agree wholeheartedly that they are top notch they are a totally different style of test and IMO are designed for something other than the typical "straight up" booktest typical of most demonstrations of mindreading, i.e., better suited to various "theme" presentations.)

The key points you need to know about MOAB are that it:

1)is published in both paperback and hardcover versions (both have same text but different titles)

2)can be freely handled by spectators with little or no chance of the "secret" being detected

3)the performer never needs to handle the book

4)no force of page or line is involved

5)there is no convoluted system for choosing a word

6)the amount of memorization required should be well within the capability of anyone

7)comes as close as any booktest -- and closer than most -- to the ideal "open the book to any page, pick any word and concentrate on it" as possible yet the performer is able to reveal the word -- either letter by letter, the whole word or, in many cases as an image

If that doesn't meet -- or beat -- your criteria for a first class booktest, you're probably in the wrong business.

MOAB is one of only 5 gimmicked books (of the 10 books) I use in the booktest routine that is a prominent feature of my mindreading show. Not only that, but I have over 1,000 booktests in my collection and have been researching the genre for over 6 years.

While I know Ted Karmilovich (creator of MOAB) personally and consider him a friend, I have no financial interest in MOAB (unfortunately).
Dick Christian
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
There is nothing terribly complicated here. The descriptions above are completely accurate. MOABT kills every time ... use it anywhere and anytime. Needless to say I love it but I don't have video. I've used this 1 on 1, parlour, stage, business meetings ... you name it. I don't know the creator and would love a cut of the action ... but feel I've gotten tremendous value from my investment.

Dan.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Lord of the Horses ...
can you please point me to the youtube videos which contain the MOABT ??

to everyone ... thanks for your input
WulfieSmith
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Ok ok it might not be the best for everyone but its one of the few that a spec can pick any word or any page and not write anything down and you still know what they are thinking. Agreed there are other amazing book test out there. I really love keith fields Insight book test a lot.
In my book test routine I do a version of Books Galore by Chuck H.

roth- yes you do make some beautiful book test that work great. For me yours are hard to fit into my style of mentalism. Even though sometimes I wish I could change my style to allow your books. lol
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I just saw the Price of MOABT and I think I will pass!
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
For those who are passing on price alone, thank you. It makes my book that much more valuable to me.

For those still willing to consider it, here's a clip of my buddy Jim Spinnato performing it:

Esp Comedy
magicmike30
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of magicmike30
Worth every penny in my opinion and I use this gem weekly. If you could read minds mother will let you.
Not to mention all the gigs I have landed from just using this test in my act. Powerful stuff.
Entertainer
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
To "pass" on MOABT based on price is understandable if one cannot afford it. On the other hand, to "pass" on MOABT based on price is ludicrous if one can afford it. There's an old adage that says something to the effect that, "...it takes money to make money..." I, too, have locked in at least two $550+ performances based on the sole demonstration of MOABT to the client. Needless to say, I don't have on hands experience with them all, but I have tried ALOT of book tests, probably more than most magicians, and MOABT is the only one I actually use in performance.
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Whilst I appreciate the work that has gone into a marvelous booktest like MOAB, I would still suggest that there is one other that comes as close to "pure" mindreading as I have ever come across. That booktest is Non Plus Ultra by Harvey Berg.

Best to all

Gerry
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I have Berg's and entirely disagree, but, then, to each his own. It's somewhat like a political debate. It's not likely that anyone will change anyone else's mind when it comes to a favorite book test. I just know that MOABT works and produces income for me. Take care everyone.
stevelegg
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of stevelegg
Quote:
On 2009-09-25 16:27, wulfiesmith wrote:
Before spending $350 ...
can anyone point me in the right direction to see a demo of this effect?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsN_BthJla8
stevelegg
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of stevelegg
Watch me in action using it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsN_BthJla8 - been doing comedy mentalism for 21 years. I never go anywhere without it
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2009-09-30 02:02, Gerry Hennessey wrote:
Whilst I appreciate the work that has gone into a marvelous booktest like MOAB, I would still suggest that there is one other that comes as close to "pure" mindreading as I have ever come across. That booktest is Non Plus Ultra by Harvey Berg.

Which elicited the following response:

Quote:
On 2009-09-30 02:28, runawayjag wrote:
I have Berg's and entirely disagree, but, then, to each his own. It's somewhat like a political debate. It's not likely that anyone will change anyone else's mind when it comes to a favorite book test. I just know that MOABT works and produces income for me. Take care everyone.

Of course Gerry and "runawayjag" are BOTH correct. What would be a mistake would be to turn this thread into a debate about which, if any, booktest is "better" or "best." What is "best" for one may not even be useful for another. Case in point: Chuck Hickok (who I know and respect) speaks highly of Keith Fields' "Insight," recommends it and cites it as one he features in his "Books Galore" booktest routine (described in his popular book "Mentalism Incorporated") while I find it unsuitable because IMO even the briefest handling by an audience member will expose the fact that it is a "special" book and I won't use any book that will not withstand the closest scrutiny if left in the hands of the audience, but that's my personal decision.

What is "best" for anyone is what works for him and what he is most comfortable with. MOAB and Harvey Berg's "Ne Plus Ultra" (as well as his earlier "Final Exam") are just a few of the many fine and effective booktests that can achieve almost "miracle" stature in the hands of a competent and experienced performer. Conversely, the same test(s) can be reduced to a bad joke when attempted by the inept.

The wise performer will probably opt to take the heat off the book(s) he uses by developing a booktest routine employing several different books, both gimmicked and ungimmicked, relying on different methods effectively eliminating an observer's ability to "back-engineer" the method(s) and suggesting by implication that such tests can be accomplished using ANY book.
Dick Christian
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Hey stevelegg I love how you got the audience to narrow down her choices. U didn't have to say anything. that was brilliant. good idea. bravo.
also good performance.
Blake
Victor Ian Smith
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
61 Posts

Profile of Victor Ian Smith
OK...I have to sell something. I have been looking for a great book test for corporate and have to admit that the MOABT just took my breath away.

Seeing Steve and Jim performing it in the above videos has convinced me.

Anyone in the market for a women's diamond wedding ring or a child's tiffany cross necklace?

ok...maybe I just need to book a couple extra shows.

Thanks for helping a reborn newbie save time going through way too many effects and mental agony. Now if I can only decide on which wallet is right for me!

:readingbook:
"Do what you love...

...and you will never work a day of your life"

- Confucius
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Kudos, Steve, for a strong performance. I agree with Blake: the way you elicit the first letter is next to perfect. And you've melded MOABT wonderfully with the dictionary test.

BTW, may I ask which dictionary test it is that you use? Never thought I'd be interested in one until seeing you perform it.

Great job.

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mother of all Book Tests (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL