We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » A great way to carry your coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I was at Wal-Mart the other night and came across a way to hold several different coin sets in one holder and still keep them separated. Check out the camera section, and find the SD carry cases. The slots are big enough to hold silver dollars, which makes me happy. I got mine for 4 dollars, it has 6 slots, and zips up to a tiny black leather case with a belt loop. These are a great way to carry them instead of the coin purses that are ridiculously hard to find (for me at least). Here's an example, though not the one I have.

inanycase.com
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Glad you found these. This case has actually been discussed quite a bit on this forum. I have a couple of these.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
I must have missed it when it was mentioned before. I've been looking for something exactly like it. I'm still looking for a good way to keep things organized and accessible in my pocket besides keeping an open coin purse in there.

Thanks for the heads up.

Phil
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8882 Posts

Profile of Mb217
You might try my "Po'boy" method...A simple binder clip. Works very well for little or nothing. Smile Holds all size coins, neatly and quietly...I carry my coins that way all the time. Give it a try, you'll see. Smile -Mb

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/256272......lip.html
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
That's interesting Marion. Troy Hooser suggested something along those lines but for a holdout. He said that he uses one of those metal clips that you see on coast hangers when you hang up pants. He pulls off a few of those and then your set. I make my own pouches so I don't have to worry about that lol.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8882 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yeah, I use these all the time, different sizes for different coins and differing amounts of coins. People ask me do they scratch the coins and the answer is "No" not that I have seen. But if you're worried about that, simply take a piece of black electrical tape and line the inside of the clip, easy enough to do if you like. Best of all these things are tidy and keep coins where you can easily get to them, silently, neatly. So you're coins aren't "inside" anything perse and you can see them or feel them in your pocket. I use the small clips for half dollar-size coins and the middle size holds 4 dollar size Morgans. I know because I carry them that way everywhere I go. Oh and nothing's cheaper or any more effective.

Funny thing is that if one of these big Magic Shops or some big coin guy had introduced these as i.e., ***Magic Coin Clip Holders*** with some sort of teflon inside etc., people would've had them long ago. Smile Just like some one comes across a piece of cloth that's ridiculously absorbent and really been around forever, calls it Sham WOW! and all of the sudden it sells more old shammys than what has ever been sold before. Smile Anyway I mention my "Po'Boys" here and offer them to you all for FREE. Bring one home from the office tomorrow and give it a try. You'll see. Smile Be sure to come on back here and let us know what you think after a real try. Smile

*Oh, and I call them "Po'Boys" (Poor Boys) because it sorta reminds me of when we were growing up, we didn't have a lot and that was the case as to something as simple as regular drinking glasses. Instead many times we washed out old jelly jars and used them to get the same cold drink of water. Those were the days...Absolute magic. Smile -Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I use these clips (around here we call them bulldog clips) a lot for holdouts, but hadn't even considered using them for that! It's a good idea and a little embarrassing that I never thought of that, lol.
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Umm..I liked the good old way. just keep them in my pocket Smile
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Mb,
When I sold my business five years ago, I somehow ended up with about 200 of these clips in assorted sizes. I now know what to do with them! I like the electrical tape idea, just in case.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Thomas Okey
View Profile
New user
Lakeland Florida
50 Posts

Profile of Thomas Okey
I have also used the bull dog clips inside my pants pockets to hold paper money with a coin inside for a routine of John Carney's. I am at work and I can not remember the name of the routine but the clip works really well.

Another item to consider is Carl Andrews' pocket organizer. I struggled with buying this product for quite a while but once I did I loved it. It has two pockets on each side and two tall compartments between each side(hard to explain). They only run 10.00 each and can be purchased from his web site. This pocket organizer is made for the pants pocket but of course can be used in a coat pocket with room to spare.

In my pants pocket I carry on one side of the organizer(2pockets) the gimmicks for "Hopping Halves." The thing I like is that as I perform the routine and place the coins back into the pocket organizer I can reset the routine. On the other side I have a half and a silver dollar in one pocket that I use for Paul Cumming's "Pitching Penitration." Then I have a flipper half with shell that I use for Joshua Jay's "3 coin vanish." routine. That is a lot of magic in one pants pocket. I don't carry it but I could put color changing knives in the middle tall pockets that I mentioned above.

I also have Danny Tong's holders which I have used as holders for large coins or multiple halves and dollar size coins. I have only used these for stealing coins from under the edge of my coat. They are really great for that. In my opinion they are to bulgy for the pants pocket. I would go with the bull dog clip if I only need to steal one set of coins from my pants pocket.

Well, that is my two cents worth. I hope it helps someone.

Tom
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
I have a wallet with a zipper pocket from Big Skinny.

http://www.bigskinny.net/mini-skinny-zippered-pocket.html

And they also have this:

http://www.bigskinny.net/lynx.html
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Eric Jones sells those SD cases at his lectures. He has a suitably grand name for them, which escapes me at the moment.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
SilvaAce
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
156 Posts

Profile of SilvaAce
I use one of the coin purses, I believe I purchased it at dennymagic.com about 10 years ago, love it. Otherwise I carry them in one of those minature suit cases, the one I have is for business cards. People laugh when I tell them I brought my case and cards.
All you have to do to change your life, is to change your daily habits!

Carlos Silva
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2009-10-15 17:56, SilvaAce wrote:
Otherwise I carry them in one of those minature suit cases, the one I have is for business cards.

That's brilliant! What a great little gag. Thanks for sharing.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya Gang!

I also just started making these:

Coin Carrier

if you'd like to take a look.

Cheers!

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Jeff O
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Jeff O
Cool carrier Grant!
MarkR
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of MarkR
There are a lot of great Ideas for carrying coins and it really depends on your need. If you need a holder during a performance that might entail an Onasak coin purse.

One idea I had years ago was to cut a whitman Coin holder into approximately a poker card size or a bit smaller that would hold 3 half dollars (for a routine I was doing). Since these are meant to display coins of the appropriate size the coins fit quite snugly in those cutouts.

I would then take that and slide it into a credit card/id wallet . (Scotty York uses a similar setup in his Numismatist routine). In this way the coins were attractively displayed and would lay flat.

Also, I have used John Cornelius' idea of carrying a one coin gimmick in a keychain as in "The Mark" .

Another way is a $1 zipper coin purse that you put velvet or leather dividers with a tap on them like a card file.

At one time I had a pocketwatch case that held 4 half dollars perfectly which was attached from the belt loop to the pants pocket.
Markr
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Quote:
On 2009-10-16 21:22, Jeff O wrote:
Cool carrier Grant!

Thanks Jeff!

I've sent out a few for review, so we'll see what others think, as well.

Best~

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
835 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Hey all,
I figured I'd chime in here. About a week and a half ago I first saw Jamie's Coin Carrier and thought it looked really cool. After exchanging a few PMs with him I decided to pick up a couple of them (As an aside, Jamie's customer service was awesome. He gladly answered all of my questions about the Coin Carrier and was very quick with responses as well). Anyways, I received mine last week and I have to say that they are fantastic. I wanted to use one to carry my Okito box (I have a Roth box). The box fits perfectly in the Coin Carrier and I think it's a great way to carry it around. I'm sure it would accomodate most boxes. The other carrier I've been using to carry around appx 9-10 half dollar sized coins. I carry a few different gaffs around with me and they all fit in there perfectly.

If anyone is looking for a new way to carry your coins, especially if you're trying to get away from those "manly" Smile coin purses, I'd highly suggest looking into one or two or a few of these. Great stuff Jamie!

-Bill

PS In no way was this a paid endorsement. It was just one humble person's opinion of a really great product.
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Bill, do you know if the Carrier will take a dollar sized Okito?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » A great way to carry your coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL